Garrett- perfect puppet for Jerry

Big_D

Reaction score
Perfect Puppet. lol Makes zero sense to ride this out regardless who the owner is. And yet some still defend it as a quality situation or as good as it gets under Jerry. Very weird. The.. 'it could be worse'.. rhetoric is just sad. The Garrett hire has been a huge waste of time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sorry then. I’m shaded by the abundance of haters.
The Cowboys are full of critics. And understandably so . Especially of Jerry and this era overall. But I see Garrett as a shining light in an otherwise dysfunctional situation. I feel he’s influenced the best culture we’ve seen here probably since the 90’s.

Some fans are just frustrated with the lack of success in the playoffs and hold Garrett more responsible than other contributing factors.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JG is not getting a extension. I think JJ is leaving the option open.. What if we win it all this year, does JJ make the change.

It would be great to win a Superbowl but the cost might be another 20 + years of nothing because Garrett would get a lifetime contract.

If he can maintain a job in Dallas without ever reaching a Superbowl or NFC championship then imagine his security if he ever won one.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Cowboys are full of critics. And understandably so . Especially of Jerry and this era overall. But I see Garrett as a shining light in an otherwise dysfunctional situation. I feel he’s influenced the best culture we’ve seen here probably since the 90’s.

Some fans are just frustrated with the lack of success in the playoffs and hold Garrett more responsible than other contributing factors.
Totally agree. We're fortunate to have him.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Jg will for sure be extended after season. I have no doubt about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Breese retiring soon, new ownership, bigger stage in Dallas, young roster in Dallas. I believe he lives in this area.

There are several reasons.
He kept his house here so his kids could finish school after he left Dallas for New Orleans. It’s not uncommon for coaches to retain residency for their kids to finish school or simply because they can or like the area . Many have multiple residences. It’s been a fact some have spun to support their opinion or narrative.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would be great to win a Superbowl but the cost might be another 20 + years of nothing because Garrett would get a lifetime contract.

If he can maintain a job in Dallas without ever reaching a Superbowl or NFC championship then imagine his security if he ever won one.
Then you define “ nothing” as not winning championships?

That would mean the years under Landry were nothing except for what 2-5 years?

Sydla

Reaction score
He was good enough to win Coach of the year. His winning percentage is in upper half of the league during his tenure. In last 3 years only Belichick and Pats have more wins. The knocks on Garrett mainly stem from lack of success in playoffs.

He’s an easy target for some. Like with Romo there’s a couple huge blunders we can point to and without more success in playoffs can form a negative narrative.

But how good is Garrett. That’s a tough question. Not sure how else we rate that without speculative opinions than his record which isn’t as bad as some make him out to be. It’s tough for me to compare him to other more normal situations around the NFL.

You can hem and haw all you want but outside of Dallas, the national opinion is pretty much that Garrett is an average coach and he’s one reason Dallas continues to trip over itself year after year.

Big_D

Reaction score
The last 25 years has been a waste of time then .The SB or Bust mentality. I wouldn’t be surprised as long as Jerry’s intent with his control it could be another 20 years.

He kept his house here so his kids could finish school after he left Dallas for New Orleans. It’s not uncommon for coaches to retain residency for their kids to finish school or simply because they can or like the area . Many have multiple residences. It’s been a fact some have spun to support their opinion or narrative.

Super Bowl or bust??? lol That's even funnier. It's about being competitive in the postseason. Not being lead by the king of all chokers and then calling it a perfect situation. Then pretending he's just as good as coaches who actually win.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then you define “ nothing” as not winning championships?

That would mean the years under Landry were nothing except for what 2-5 years?

The difference is organizations can identify their coaching problem.

Tom Coughlin won 2 Superbowls and he still got fired because the team went down hill.

IF the team goes downhill for Garrett it won't matter. Jerry will keep him regardless.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Super Bowl or bust??? lol That's even funnier. It's about being competitive in the postseason. Not being lead by the king of all chokers and then calling it a perfect situation. Then pretending he's just as good as coaches who actually win.
it’s not a perfect situation by any stretch of the imagination. But one I’ve accepted considering the circumstances. Sometimes you simply have to play the cards you’re dealt. It’s not like we have a loaded deck with Jerry. Lol

And why I call Jason the Perfect Puppet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The difference is organizations can identify their coaching problem.

Tom Coughlin won 2 Superbowls and he still got fired because the team went down hill.

IF the team goes downhill for Garrett it won't matter. Jerry will keep him regardless.
I’m not sure it’s unconditional. I’ve said from the beginning “ barring a total collapse like we saw with Wade or a consistent loser with Campo”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You can hem and haw all you want but outside of Dallas, the national opinion is pretty much that Garrett is an average coach and he’s one reason Dallas continues to trip over itself year after year.
I’m not sure I’d come to that conclusion. It’s probably more speculative assertion or opinion and not something definitive. Like most including myself we look for material , opinions and facts which support our own opinions and narrative.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s unconditional. I’ve said from the beginning “ barring a total collapse like we saw with Wade or a consistent loser with Campo”

We've seen collapses. It did not matter. He always got some type of excuse or something.

He showed his real value so many times when Romo was injured and the wheels just completely fell off the entire thing.

McClay did the smart thing and started building an Oline and run game that can impose it's will on teams and minimize the bad coaching that way.

10 years of nothing is pretty unconditional at this point. No team besides the Bengals would put up with these results for a decade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I ask myself one question about this HC situation. What's the incentive and motivation for Booger to replace him? I can't think of one.

I could see a situation where he hires Payton and he does better than Garrett. Now what? Who's going to get the credit for that? Oh, Booger gets credit for hiring him? LMAO, that worked really well right after he bought the team and that's what's been running this chain of coaches at us ever since.

There's a saying in business and I think it applies here as well, "the devil you know". Booger is comfortable with Garrett. Just look how quickly he responded when he got that Linehan thing wrong. Retracted in a matter of hours and even said he didn't remember what he said. Hot damn, you can't find guys like that plus he likes Garrett and I think Garrett likes him as well and I never underestimate the power of that.

If some of y'all need this ax hanging over Garrett's neck to better enjoy the season, have at it. But, I am not buying that until I actually hear that another HC has been hired. And unlike some here, if that happens, I will not assume that's a good thing.

But I do get the frustration and "anyone but Garrett" thinking but I also realize we're dealing with a guy that can do whatever the hell he pleases with his team and answers to no one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've seen collapses. It did not matter. He always got some type of excuse or something.

He showed his real value so many times when Romo was injured and the wheels just completely fell off the entire thing.

McClay did the smart thing and started building an Oline and run game that can impose it's will on teams and minimize the bad coaching that way.

10 years of nothing is pretty unconditional at this point. No team besides the Bengals would put up with these results for a decade.
According to the latest news I saw, McClay doesn't build anything but the draft board, the picks are still Booger's to make. Is he an influencer, sure but there's still one decision maker.

I give Romo's agent more credit for the building of the OL and the Yosemite and Martin picks. And I give Martin credit for this continuing because he made Booger look really good being the first rookie All Pro OL in 60 something years. Booger realized that stars come in all shapes and sizes.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a question because I think it's still a rule. Anyone here want to give up 2 1sts to get Payton from NO? Feel good about that? I sure as hell don't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Garett has only had 1 season below .500 and that was without Romo.

10 seasons of nothing is such a broad bias description to spin your narrative.

The fact Jerry has been supportive throughout tells much about our organization.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yep ..That’s part of it.

What would it say about our ownership?

That they favor Garrett and dont hold him accountable .....you can’t go through coordinator after coordinator holding them accountable but keep the head coach who is supposed to hold the entire coaching staff accountable

Wade was fired for much less....so was Gailey