Garrett: Prescott Showed “Special” Fight Despite Hurt Ankle, Offense’s Struggles

waving monkey

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – Dak Prescott stood at the post-game podium Sunday night in Denver and took full responsibility for the Cowboys’ offensive struggles in a 42-17 blowout loss to the Broncos.

“When you play the way I played tonight, you’re not going to win many games in this league,” he said.

His head coach had a much different opinion about the second-year quarterback’s performance.

“If you get a chance, go back and watch the tape of No. 4,” Jason Garrett said Monday. “No. 4 is a special player.”

Prescott obviously wasn't perfect. He threw two interceptions in a game for only the second time in his 19-game NFL career, counting playoffs. His 68.6 passer rating was his third-lowest to date. The Cowboys’ offense, collectively, converted only 3 of 14 third downs and went 1 of 3 in the red zone.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...-fight-despite-hurt-ankle-offense’s-struggles

Staubacher

Reaction score
Oh great, Garrett's infamous "fight" speech.

Was Dak supposed to walk off the field or something when he fell behind? Even Brandon Weeden didn't do that.

Just a bad coach trying to sound like Lombardi again.

wrongway

Reaction score
I was amazed at how well he played as a rook last year. So far not so much. Still early obviously and not all his fault but he needs to get better.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Or, the staff needs to pull back on his responsibilities. It seems he is being asked to run the offense like a seasoned vet.

I do wish they would do this, but I doubt it will happen.

He was much better before they started letting him do all those adjustments and 'giving him the keys', nothing wrong with him not being ready for it yet.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Or, the staff needs to pull back on his responsibilities. It seems he is being asked to run the offense like a seasoned vet.

Yeah maybe. Or maybe they should try and let him work it out early in the season.

It's hard to say, really.

I remember when Romo struggled for weeks in 09 after he was determined to change his high-risk style of play following the Giants loss to open AT&T.

That was a little different situation, but ultimately that ended up being really good for us and it was the beginning of a relatively successful season.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

It's not a dink-n-dunk offense. This offense stunk when Romo started to use all of this dink-n-dunk.

The scheme is built towards longer pass routes and thus we add players and train and develop those players to that scheme.

Because the scheme is built on longer pass routes, we run the ball more often to offset the lower probability of completing passes since the passes are longer.

For Romo, the abandoning the run game (or when we lacked a run game) was a problem because it took away from one of his main strengths...the play action pass. For Dak abandoning the run takes away from one of his strengths...the bootleg.

But our receivers...outside of Beasley...are not built for the dink-n-dunk. The scheme is built for very long routes from Dez and T-Will with Beasley and Witten running routes underneath. Beasley can run shorter routes because of his ability to run pivot routes and then get YAC. Witten is designed to find holes in the zone and get past the first down marker. But here against Denver we see Witten running 4-yard routes when we need 10-yards and it is the kiss of death.

I've re-watched the game and Dak did't play well. He wasn't as horrendous as some make it out to be, but the gameplan didn't work in large part because it went against what I personnel does best and we didn't make any adjustments.

It's pretty obvious to me when we see Witten running 4 yard routes...the offense is going to struggle. It always does.

YR

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do wish they would do this, but I doubt it will happen.

He was much better before they started letting him do all those adjustments and 'giving him the keys', nothing wrong with him not being ready for it yet.
Well put.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dez caused 2 interceptions actually. Look how he placed himself against Talib in the end zone causing the pick 6.

Uh no..

It's called a corner fade route..

Dak threw a garbage, straight line pass.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's not a dink-n-dunk offense. This offense stunk when Romo started to use all of this dink-n-dunk.

The scheme is built towards longer pass routes and thus we add players and train and develop those players to that scheme.

Because the scheme is built on longer pass routes, we run the ball more often to offset the lower probability of completing passes since the passes are longer.

For Romo, the abandoning the run game (or when we lacked a run game) was a problem because it took away from one of his main strengths...the play action pass. For Dak abandoning the run takes away from one of his strengths...the bootleg.

But our receivers...outside of Beasley...are not built for the dink-n-dunk. The scheme is built for very long routes from Dez and T-Will with Beasley and Witten running routes underneath. Beasley can run shorter routes because of his ability to run pivot routes and then get YAC. Witten is designed to find holes in the zone and get past the first down marker. But here against Denver we see Witten running 4-yard routes when we need 10-yards and it is the kiss of death.

I've re-watched the game and Dak did't play well. He wasn't as horrendous as some make it out to be, but the gameplan didn't work in large part because it went against what I personnel does best and we didn't make any adjustments.

It's pretty obvious to me when we see Witten running 4 yard routes...the offense is going to struggle. It always does.

YR

We were bottom of the league in play action pass when Garrett was running the offense. Garrett simply sucked as an OC.

It went slightly up the first year Linehan was in control.