Garrett Really Took Advantage of the Bye Week

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2429113 said:
much more likely for a right handed QB to pitch right - otherwise he is pitching across his body

number of pitches, not the direction is the issue.
So he can throw with his right hand, but he can't pitch with his right hand?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Great post. Bennett and Witten were moving people out when they lined up in the backfield together.

I think Jason Garrett's game plan was outstanding, and I think he used the blue-print that can get the Cowboys into the playoffs. Furthermore, it is the blue-print for winning on the road, especially in the playoffs. He did exacty what I wanted him to do. I was critical of the gunslinger mentality, and I wrote about his need to manage Tony Romo and the game better. Plus, when you run the football, you wear teams down, control the clock, move the chains, and keep your defense off the field. Importantly, your offensive line loves it, and they get a physical mentality.

In my opinion, this is the brand of football that the Cowboys need to play in order to win a championship. There is a time to be conservative and a time to go for the big play. Getting the ball out quickly and leaning on your running game and your defense is smart, sound, and time tested football. There is nothing wrong with checking the ball down, and Romo killed them with Barber on check downs.

Despite the repeated bashing of the defense this year, they didn't lose the Arizona game, furthermore, they were not given much of a chance to compete at New York with all the turn overs and the suspect quarterback play. The defense is on the upswing, and they can win you some games if you don't give the ball away or give points away in the kicking game.

Back to Garrett, I wanted the ball out of Romo's hands faster. This means that you don't always go for the big play. Garrett did it. I hope he keeps throwing those slants, because that is power football. I'm bigger than you, try and stop me. Romo can throw the slant very well, and he has the big receivers to do it. It is a safe call, and you can get some big plays, too.

Finally, the adjustments were made in the running and passing game. Romo had run-run-pass checks when a running play was called during this game. Garrett got Marion Barber the football, and that is where it needs to go.

When Felix Jones gets back, he needs to get it, too.

P.S. I love the toss sweep. I think Dallas runs it better than anyone. Felix Jones scored on a fourth down by running the same play against the Bengals. By the way, how does that 9 point win look now.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
this may be the 1st time fans have actually called for something that worked

short passes

committment to the running game

at least as long as I've been on this forum

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
41gy#;2429134 said:
Great post. Bennett and Witten were moving people out when they lined up in the backfield together.

I think Jason Garrett's game plan was outstanding, and I think he used the blue-print that can get the Cowboys into the playoffs. Furthermore, it is the blue-print for winning on the road, especially in the playoffs. He did exacty what I wanted him to do. I was critical of the gunslinger mentality, and I wrote about his need to manage Tony Romo and the game better. Plus, when you run the football, you wear teams down, control the clock, move the chains, and keep your defense off the field. Importantly, your offensive line loves it, and they get a physical mentality.

In my opinion, this is the brand of football that the Cowboys need to play in order to win a championship. There is a time to be conservative and a time to go for the big play. Getting the ball out quickly and leaning on your running game and your defense is smart, sound, and time tested football. There is nothing wrong with checking the ball down, and Romo killed them with Barber on check downs.

Despite the repeated bashing of the defense this year, they didn't lose the Arizona game, furthermore, they were not given much of a chance to compete at New York with all the turn overs and the suspect quarterback play. The defense is on the upswing, and they can win you some games if you don't give the ball away or give points away in the kicking game.

Back to Garrett, I wanted the ball out of Romo's hands faster. This means that you don't always go for the big play. Garrett did it. I hope he keeps throwing those slants, because that is power football. I'm bigger than you, try and stop me. Romo can throw the slant very well, and he has the big receivers to do it. It is a safe call, and you can get some big plays, too.

Finally, the adjustments were made in the running and passing game. Romo had run-run-pass checks when a running play was called during this game. Garrett got Marion Barber the football, and that is where it needs to go.

P.S. I love the toss sweep. I think Dallas runs it better than anyone. Felix Jones scored on a fourth down by running the same play against the Bengals. By the way, how does that 9 point win look now.

The offensive game plan was good this week, no doubt about it. I've been wondering aloud why we don't run slants to TO all year, so I was glad to see them. This type of game, with a few big plays over the top when they're there, is what we need to beat the really good teams in the NFC.

This week, I think the wind and Romo's hand were a big factor in not going downfield more. Especially into the wind.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
we were terrible offensively. that last drive is what made our offense seem better than it really was. the skins defense was just so tired at that point from their ridiculous offense that they couldn't stop marion.

superonyx

Reaction score
Idgit;2429288 said:
The offensive game plan was good this week, no doubt about it. I've been wondering aloud why we don't run slants to TO all year, so I was glad to see them. This type of game, with a few big plays over the top when they're there, is what we need to beat the really good teams in the NFC.

This week, I think the wind and Romo's hand were a big factor in not going downfield more. Especially into the wind.

I guess the 2 turnovers that these slants got us due to the defense not respecting our big play ability is alright with this board. These 2 turnovers were at the worst time. When we were about to score. These plays should not have been called. Let me remind everyone. We scored 14 points. How great was a gameplan when we scored 14 points. Our running game wasnt dominating them until the last drive of the game. We still have not forced defenses to change their style to stop us mid game. Every defense does the same thing against us and it has been working for them. Bump us, pressure us, and never have to pay for playing this style. When is the last game that our offense didnt look "out of sync"?

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Umm, Bum told Wade he should be running the toss play more. Coincidence that's what actually happen?

In essence I think that's what they did- it was working on the Commanders- so they stuck with it.

Now I can't wait to see it with Felix running it.

superpunk

Reaction score
Pointing at the point total as disproof of the enormous change and shift we saw in the offense this week is misleading and lazy.

Avoid it.

That is all.

dboyz

Reaction score
superonyx;2429350 said:
I guess the 2 turnovers that these slants got us due to the defense not respecting our big play ability is alright with this board. These 2 turnovers were at the worst time. When we were about to score. These plays should not have been called. Let me remind everyone. We scored 14 points. How great was a gameplan when we scored 14 points. Our running game wasnt dominating them until the last drive of the game. We still have not forced defenses to change their style to stop us mid game. Every defense does the same thing against us and it has been working for them. Bump us, pressure us, and never have to pay for playing this style. When is the last game that our offense didnt look "out of sync"?

On the first INT Owens was open and would have had a nice gain, but the throw was late and behind. The second INT IMO should have been caught.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
percyhoward;2429024 said:
We had THREE separate drives inside their 30 that resulted in zero points. The first drive ended on a bad throw by Romo, the second on a blitz that wasn't picked up (Romo barely got that one off), causing a throw slightly behind TO, then a perfectly timed hit, the third ended on kneeldowns. Let's say only one of those drives ends in a TD, the other two in FG's--that's 27 points against a very good defense--with your QB at waaaay less than 100%, and no Felix.

Don't get breathless about us not going deep. We got away with having a limited--basically, horizontal--passing attack. We did it partially by running into the teeth of 8-man fronts, at times, and it was about time we made Davis and Colombo earn their salary in the run game.

I don't know what would make you think Romo can throw a pass beyond 20 yards with any kind of accuracy. The hitches were necessary to spread out their D, horizontally instead of vertically. It worked. Be happy.

Good observation. I made the same on another board.
I said Tony Romo's return opened up the offense. Someone responded by saying the Cowboys scored 14 points, the same as when Bollinger and Brad were playing.
I responded, "Did Brad and Bollinger take the Cowboys deep into the opponent's side of the field three times?"
I rest my case. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
41gy#;2429134 said:

:clap:

I don't know if we run the toss sweep better than any team. But I agree that I love the smash-mouth run-first offensive approach. And that will open up the deep pass, especially with our weapons.

I think the Cowboys need to make Romo more of a manager. Not that he can't win games by himself when he's healthy. I just think he was rushed into service and everything was put on his shoulders. I think he will be even better with an offense centered around the run.

Now all we have to do is get Felix Jones healthy and we'll have our own version of Stewart-Williams (Carolina), Taylor-Peterson (Minnesota), Jones-Drew-Taylor (Jacksonville) and Ward-Jacobs-Bradshaw (NY Giants).

dfense

Reaction score
superonyx;2428925 said:
I am totally on a different page than you are on. I think the play calling was awful. We scored 14 points! How can you see the game and say Garrett finally gets it?

The biggest problem out offense has is not adapting to what the defense is doing. And every team we have been playing has been doing the same thing and we still have not made the right adjustments to beat it.
Teams have figured out that they can press us and play with their defense up at the line and blitz us up the middle. So how do you think a team should beat this style? If a defense is playing you tight and stacking the line while pressing your receivers you need to force them to back off and respect the deep pass. So what does boy wonder keep calling? How about 5 yards slants right into the defense. How about 0 yard quick passes to the receivers when they are being pressed. This isnt getting it. Getting it would be to make them pay for pressing us. I didnt see much of that. The only play i saw that was effective was the sweep. Other than that we made some dumb playcalls that cost us points. Remember the int that the defense caused when they hit TO as the ball was getting there? That is a product of the defense not respecting your long or medium range passing game and pressing you with layers of defense.
Well, without the picks deep in Skins territory, your probably talking 28 points. And the quick slants are partly because they want Romo to get it out quick and the press coverage can be beat that way since their safeties are playing over the top. The WR screens are a last second QB audible out of a called run usually because the corners are backed off. The theory is there but the Skins corners played it well.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
superonyx;2428925 said:
I am totally on a different page than you are on. I think the play calling was awful. We scored 14 points! How can you see the game and say Garrett finally gets it?

2 Drives ended in with Int's in Skins territory. That's not on Garrett.

I think Garrett finally realized that sometimes he'd have to get away from his love for throwing the ball. Last time we beat the Skins we ran the ball like 11 times or something ridiculously low.

These division games are fist fights. And I think he called a great 4th quarter.

AND THE PLAYERS EXECUTED!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superonyx;2429350 said:

Turnovers and our TO ratio have been killing us. This is a thread about the offensive gameplan. It wasn't the play call on the slants that got us into trouble. It was getting the throw out late an in the wrong place. The second was a good play by the defense. That's an execution problem, which you probably know.

Pushing around that Commanders run defense was very impressive. Frankly, I didn't think we could do it, and I was disappointed early in the game to see us trying, but the run-run-pass checks turned out to be the right call and we outmuscled and out played a very good defensive team in poor throwing conditions and with an injured QB.

When this team gets back to making big positive plays in the passing game, we'll be officially back on track. We're pretty close.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Cowboys2008;2429491 said:
Umm, Bum told Wade he should be running the toss play more. Coincidence that's what actually happen?
My first reaction is, it's a scary thought. But then again, the HC should have final approval over playcalling, and there's no reason he (or his dad:) ) can't chime in and say, "Let's try this" when the offense has stagnated.

According to Eatman, Garrett did not want to go for it on 4th-and-1, and Wade (and the players) did. If what was lacking with Garrett was that kind of oversight, I welcome it. And I hope to see it continue.