Twitter: Garrett talks Sean Lee and Tyron Smith/Hatcher media session

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 21m
Garrett on Sean Lee working to get back: "He's got more ointments, chambers, whatever the heck he takes, than anybody Ive ever been around."

Garrett said Tyron Smith is playing at a Pro Bowl level. Tyron: "Im just trying to grow as I go and get better...it's starting to pay off."

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 3h
What if Ratliff stayed, Hatcher played NT? Hatcher: "I probably would've asked to get traded or something b/c I dont like to play the nose."
Hatcher on Ratliff: "Just playing 7 years with a guy like that, awesome football player. It'll be good to see him and catch up with him."
Why did things end the way they did for Jay Ratliff in Dallas? Jason Hatcher: "No comment on that. It's none of my business."
Jason Hatcher on Stephen Jones saying Hatcher outperformed his contract: "Absolutely I did. Thank you, Stephen, for recognizing that."

Bcrav4

Reaction score
Hatcher is pretty funny: No comment on Ratliff but, yes, I outplayed my contract!

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Hatch is going to get a decent contract next year. Wonder what team it will be with.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hatch is going to get a decent contract next year. Wonder what team it will be with.
Its really hard to say. I would think that a contender would be the type of team that really wants to risk signing a 30+ DT, but the majority of those teams are either 34s or have good DTs. Really hard to say.

Depending on how they actually view themselves, Atlanta good be a good fit. So could Chicago, Buffalo, and - gulp - the Giants.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Even though Hatch is 31, keep in mind that up until the 2011 season he only started 1 game.

I don't know for sure since I'm not a football player, but I would think that would give him a bit more tread on the tires than say another 8th year player who has started his entire career.

Just something to consider regarding Hatcher's worth.

khiladi

Reaction score
This is Hatcher's last train ride. Hope he gets a nice one for his future.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I just hope Hatch doesn't sign with any of NFCE teams.

I also hope that Lee is fully healed, would hate to see him re-aggravate hammy and miss rest of the regular season games or more.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its really hard to say. I would think that a contender would be the type of team that really wants to risk signing a 30+ DT, but the majority of those teams are either 34s or have good DTs. Really hard to say.

Depending on how they actually view themselves, Atlanta good be a good fit. So could Chicago, Buffalo, and - gulp - the Giants.

Ew. Thanks for bringing up the Giants. I can totally see that happening.

Hatcher's going to want a starting 3-tech job, though. I don't think he'll end up being picky about what team he plays for. I think he wants the big payday, and to play at what he thinks is his natural position.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ew. Thanks for bringing up the Giants. I can totally see that happening.

Hatcher's going to want a starting 3-tech job, though. I don't think he'll end up being picky about what team he plays for. I think he wants the big payday, and to play at what he thinks is his natural position.
Yea, but there aren't really that many teams who have an opening for a good 3 tech in the league, to be honest. Heck, even Chicago has Melton, though he's coming off injury.

Schematically, I think dallas would actually be the best fit for him, though I just don't think they'll be able to afford it.

I'm really struggling to think of 43 teams who don't have a 3 tech that they are already paying. Maybe Seattle could upgrade there...but I can honestly see him ending up in NY. Which sucks big ones.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, but there aren't really that many teams who have an opening for a good 3 tech in the league, to be honest. Heck, even Chicago has Melton, though he's coming off injury.

Schematically, I think dallas would actually be the best fit for him, though I just don't think they'll be able to afford it.

I'm really struggling to think of 43 teams who don't have a 3 tech that they are already paying. Maybe Seattle could upgrade there...but I can honestly see him ending up in NY. Which sucks big ones.

Yeah, it's not a position a lot of teams go thin at. Hard for an older vet to step in and be a significant enough upgrade to justify the large contract. SEA was the other team I'd thought of, as well. Dallas does make sense for him, if testing the market isn't as successful as Hatcher hopes it will be and if we can get something done and structured right. I don't think it will happen, either. I'm not 100% sure I'd want it to, honestly. It'd have to be safe (not necessarily cheap, but safe) for the team to consider it. Between him and Spencer, it's going to be interesting seeing what the market does to these veteran players who are too old to break the bank, and too good to undercut too much.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a position a lot of teams go thin at. Hard for an older vet to step in and be a significant enough upgrade to justify the large contract. SEA was the other team I'd thought of, as well. Dallas does make sense for him, if testing the market isn't as successful as Hatcher hopes it will be and if we can get something done and structured right. I don't think it will happen, either. I'm not 100% sure I'd want it to, honestly. It'd have to be safe (not necessarily cheap, but safe) for the team to consider it. Between him and Spencer, it's going to be interesting seeing what the market does to these veteran players who are too old to break the bank, and too good to undercut too much.
Honestly, I think its more likely that Spencer is back than Hatcher lol

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
There are 15 teams whose base defense is the 3-4 and 17 that is 4-3. Some of those teams run so many formations/schemes you can only loosely categorize them as one of the other. We are more base 4-3 than say TN. Seattle plays a different defense than most of the league as does NO.

I think Hatcher is a pretty good player and has been for awhile. He's versatile and I know he can play end or tackle and I think he could play in most of the defenses in this league. I'd rather not use him as a 3-4 DE but most teams have 'hybrid' defenses. He's probably a better fit as a one gap 3 and I wouldn't use him a lot as a two gap 3 or even a shoot and hold one gap. I think he'll prosper more as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 one.

His ability to be versatile and rush the passer is going to net him some bucks from a team like TN or the Jags that need some pass rush without giving up a lot in the run game.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I hope he stays here with the Cowboys! And any of you who think otherwise are foolish!