Garrett will not be fired. Bet your house on it

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You will win on a technicality. Jerry set up a situation for his own comfort, based on his feelings for Garrett, that will prevent him from firing Garrett even if the Cowboys finish 5-11.

Don’t forget that Garrett’s contract runs out at the end of the season. Jerry will never fire Jason during the season, and if he decides he has to move on, he will simply go sign another coach, deciding not to resign JG, never having to actually fire him.

Jerry is a smart man. He didn’t want to fire his boy, and he made sure he wouldn’t need to do so.

Prediction? Garrett’s success with Dak makes him the next coach of
  • Giants
  • Browns
  • Jets (3 places where he would actually be a step forward)
Or,
  • Dolphins
  • Broncos (Places that have hired former Cowboys in the past)
Final prediction — Forget the talk about college coaches. Jerry won’t want to start over with another young guy who’s never coached in the NFL or been a head coach. Plus, the first crop of hot young geniuses have done little this year, and the newest crop seem lost. Look for Jerry to try to bring in a defensive minded former head coach or defensive coordinator. Won’t surprise me if he tries to keep Moore as OC, and based on this year’s numbers, that may be an easy sell to a defensive minded coach.

I wonder ...
  • Did Nick Saban learn anything from his first NFL tenure
  • Might Saban be ready to move on from Alabama at this point

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You will win on a technicality. Jerry set up a situation for his own comfort, based on his feelings for Garrett, that will prevent him from firing Garrett even if the Cowboys finish 5-11.

Don’t forget that Garrett’s contract runs out at the end of the season. Jerry will never fire Jason during the season, and if he decides he has to move on, he will simply go sign another coach, deciding not to resign JG, never having to actually fire him.

Jerry is a smart man. He didn’t want to fire his boy, and he made sure he wouldn’t need to do so.

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins
Final prediction — Forget the talk about college coaches. Jerry won’t want to start over with another young guy who’s never coached in the NFL or been a head coach. Plus, the first crop of hot young geniuses have done little this year, and the newest crop seem lost. Look for Jerry to try to bring in a defensive minded former head coach or defensive coordinator. Won’t surprise me if he tries to keep Moore as OC, and based on this year’s numbers, that may be an easy sell to a defensive minded coach.

I wonder ...
If Jerry set up the situation with Garrett for his own comfort, and therefore is too comfortable with Garrett to fire him, wouldn't he also be too comfortable with him to let him leave because his contract expired?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQf0YFME84-cRFsklMdoHEBFBiqpiShtTfRWUYV1_hxCZr9H0yF

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins

I wonder ...

Kitna gets the credit for Dak's improvement this season, not Garrett.

cern

Reaction score
jerry is not comfortable losing the prize year after year. while he is loathe to admit a mistake, there is no doubt he realizes it. he probably gets a lot of "I told you so" from Stephen.

MikeB80

Reaction score
It feels like to me that Vikings loss and the manner in which they lost was a real turn to the end. I think the real end will be losing at Philadelphia and not making the playoffs. That will probably seal the deal no matter what else happens.

Me personally I am hoping things go south for Carolina and Ron Rivera is available. Rivera coming here and fixing the defense and hiring someone competent to run the offense and special teams would be a huge plus.

I also wouldn't mind Matt Eberflus coming back or a small handful of other defensive coaches.

What I don't want is a young offensive coach who calls his own plays. that is a recipe for disaster here.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins

I wonder ...

Saban learned from his first tenure in the NFL that you need a QB to win. He's the king of Alabama and not coming to Dallas to take direction from Jerry and son. Jerry would have to go back to his Jimmy Johnson role to accommodate Saban. Not happening

foofighters

Reaction score

• Giants
  • Browns
Or,
  • Dolphins

I wonder ...
The best we can hope for is a promotion. Jerry will not fire him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Jerry set up the situation with Garrett for his own comfort, and therefore is too comfortable with Garrett to fire him, wouldn't he also be too comfortable with him to let him leave because his contract expired?

he could offer him an assistant GM gig kinda like Coughlin in Jacksonville. If you think about what Garrett does best it would utilize all of his positives and not expose the negatives.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would Saban leave an 8 figure salary, one of the top 3 recruiting programs in the country, they don't even talk to players not at 4 stars or above, where he is revered and the king of his own country? Texas was after him with the same contract Gruden got from OAK and he wasn't interested.

He learned plenty from his detour into the NFL. He learned 53 players isn't as good as 80 and in the NFL they don't coach millionaires, they handle them.

Do you see Saban's AD doing interviews for what the HC usually does? Saban isn't interested in chasing anything in the NFL, he's chasing a Bama legend.

Last edited: