Garrett's offense

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But the reality is that just continuing with Garrett and spitting out season after disappointing season with the hope that maybe Garrett gets lucky is idiotic. It just is.

And hoping the next coach will be an improvement is just as idiotic.

We disagree, but the reality I'm afraid is that whether Garrett leaves, or stays, the end result will be the same - continuing mediocrity.....

Sydla

Reaction score
And hoping the next coach will be an improvement is just as idiotic.

We disagree, but the reality I'm afraid is that whether Garrett leaves, or stays, the end result will be the same - continuing mediocrity.....

So let me get this straight.

It's better to continue down the path with a coach that continues to prove he can't get the job done (you will have 9 solid years of evidence if this season is another disappointment) than move on and try to get a better coach, even if that means getting a bit lucky?

This logic is preposterous IMO.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

It's better to continue down the path with a coach that continues to prove he can't get the job done (you will have 9 solid years of evidence if this season is another disappointment) than move on and try to get a better coach, even if that means getting a bit lucky?

I've already said Garrett has to improve or it is time to move on, I'm just saying that at this juncture, with the young players just getting settled in, that IF a new head coach comes in it will set the team back, so don't expect SBs just because a new coach comes on board...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL.

You guys do realize that how you use plays and "nuances" of those plays are all part of the offensive scheme right?

This idea that all offenses are basically the same because hey, they all run dive plays and all use the same passing tree concepts is hilarious.

The Offensive Coordinator "is" the offense, not the playbook.

There is nothing about the playbook that limits Moore as the OC. He can add plays to it at anytime.

There was an interview with a player (maybe Zeke) where the player said they had scored multiple times on a play that Moore had added to the playbook.

"Garrett's Offense" or "Garrett's Playbook" is NOT a concern as long as Moore is the OC and is calling the plays.

The Joneses have made it clear that they don't want Garrett running the offense. It's going to be Moore's offense with help from Kitna and Doug Nussmeier.

Sydla

Reaction score
I've already said Garrett has to improve or it is time to move on, I'm just saying that at this juncture, with the young players just getting settled in, that IF a new head coach comes in it will set the team back, so don't expect SBs just because a new coach comes on board...

But again, who is saying fire Garrett today, right now? Pretty much no one.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Offensive Coordinator "is" the offense, not the playbook.

There is nothing about the playbook that limits Moore as the OC. He can add plays to it at anytime.

There was an interview with a player (maybe Zeke) where the player said they had scored multiple times on a play that Moore had added to the playbook.

"Garrett's Offense" or "Garrett's Playbook" is NOT a concern as long as Moore is the OC and is calling the plays.

The Joneses have made it clear that they don't want Garrett running the offense. It's going to be Moore's offense with help from Kitna and Doug Nussmeier.

And maybe that will be the case. But what we ran to date had heavy influences from Garrett. It was reported a few times that what Linehan was trying to do was operate how he wanted to operate within the confines of what Garrett wanted to do offensively.

So when people said "Garrett's offense" that is what they were referring to. Now whether Moore is free of that confinement............. I'll guess we will find out. What the Jones' say at this point is just grain of salt crap. They say a lot of stuff that never is or comes true.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But again, who is saying fire Garrett today, right now? Pretty much no one.

Really? No shortage of those people, they've been saying that for the past 2-3 years at least, if not on this site, then others....

Sydla

Reaction score
Really? No shortage of those people, they've been saying that for the past 2-3 years at least, if not on this site, then others....

Yes really.

Who is saying Garrett should be fired immediately - right now, in May of 2019? Very few people. Most people acknowledge he's coaching in 2019. Few, if any, are saying Jerry Jones needs to fire Jason Garrett today and get a new coach tomorrow (or whenever).

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yes really.

Who is saying Garrett should be fired immediately - right now, in May of 2019? Very few people. Most people acknowledge he's coaching in 2019. Few, if any, are saying Jerry Jones needs to fire Jason Garrett today and get a new coach tomorrow (or whenever).

What's the difference between saying fire Garrett today vs. after the Rams game in January? People still say he should be fired, that's the point, not whether they're saying that "now, today May 14th". that's splitting hairs...

Sydla

Reaction score
What's the difference between saying fire Garrett today vs. after the Rams game in January? People still say he should be fired, that's the point, not whether they're saying that "now, today May 14th". that's splitting hairs...

It's not really splitting hairs. I wanted him fired after the 2018 season after another disappointing playoff run.

But I don't want him fired today. Because it's too late to make that move at this point (your pool of replacement candidates is almost non-existent at this point as coaches, assistants and even college coaches are entrenched in their current jobs). I am not sure how one can't see the difference.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Maybe the steelers shouldn't have kept Coher, maybe the browns should have kept Bill B. Changing coaches doesn't always mean you are upgrading. The browns have been perpetually rebuilding every time they cycle in a new coach, new philosophy etc. I don't know of a successful coach that would work well with these clown owners. We can change coaches all day but can't change Jerry.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Kitna said something that I have been trying to get across in some of these threads. It seems some think Garrett has created his own offense that is different than all others, and he will protect his baby at all costs. This is often used as a reason to believe Moore will be handcuffed.

Kitna's words …

”At the younger levels, the greatest thing is you have to learn how to teach and communicate really well,” Kitna said. “There’s really no new plays, it’s how you call them, how you dress them up and when you call them that’s important.”

Bottom line is it doesn't take a major overhaul, or a dramatic departure from everything the Cowboys have done in the past to make a big difference, yet it seems many fans think that it does. I remember reading after the Rams game that the majority of the plays the Rams run were also in the Cowboys playbook, but the difference was the Rams disguised them better with motion and misdirection.

Innt that taken out of context ?

Afaik Kitna answered to a question being a High school coach. I read about that too.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not really splitting hairs. I wanted him fired after the 2018 season after another disappointing playoff run.

But I don't want him fired today. Because it's too late to make that move at this point (your pool of replacement candidates is almost non-existent at this point as coaches, assistants and even college coaches are entrenched in their current jobs). I am not sure how one can't see the difference.

If you want him fired it's because he's not doing the job well enough, I'm assuming. Whether it's now, or during the middle of the season as Phillips was, at the end of the season or whenever, unless you have a change of heart you still want him fired, right? The timing is entirely separate from whether or not you want him fired.

I understand at this particular time you don't want him fired, again I'm assuming it's because of the disruption to the team, and that's fine.

My point is that if you wanted him fired a month ago, due to lack of SBs or NFC championship game appearances, or whatever reason, then that's not changed. Just because the team has decided to keep him has nothing to do with whether or not YOU want him fired, is all I"m noting...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Innt that taken out of context ?

Afaik Kitna answered to a question being a High school coach. I read about that too.
No, that wasn’t out of context. He did talk some about his high school experience, but his commentary was about the NFL