Garrett's plan... gulp

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
January 15, 2008

Garrett's plan

1:08 PM Tue, Jan 15, 2008 | Permalink
Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the plan Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett has presented the Ravens has former Dolphins assistants Cam Cameron and Dom Capers going with him to Baltimore as offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively.
This is a mixed bag for Dallas. On one end, it means that a staff that figures to be tattered when the smoke clears will not be raided too extensively by the new Baltimore regime. But another side to it is that if Garrett does go to Baltimore, and Tony Sparano to Miami, Cameron likely would've been a prime candidate to become OC in Dallas.
Cameron was the Chargers offensive coordinator, while Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips served as DC in San Diego from 2004-06. Cameron's connection to Garrett is through Norv Turner. Cameron was the Commanders quarterbacks coach from 1994-96 under Turner and, as such, runs a similar offensive system to Garrett.
That would probably leave receivers coach Ray Sherman as the top candidate for the offensive coordinator position. Sherman was the Steelers offensive coordinator in 1998, taking over for Chan Gailey there, and the Vikings OC in 1999, where he took the reins from Brian Billick. Sherman resigned after being replaced by Sherman Lewis in Minnesota, and offered a position as receivers coach, after the '99 season.
Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson could be another candidate. He brings eight years of experience as a position coach, four in Dallas (2000-02, 2007) and three in Chicago (2004-06.)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
You and I could be coaches but it still comes down to the players making the plays.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
My guess is if Cameron has Jerry bidding on him vs. Garrett, he'd come to Dallas.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I still go after Al Saunders if Gregg Williams let him go in Washington. He's a disciple of Coryell. There shouldn't be any difference in terminology.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Sherman was a disaster in Pittsburgh. They couldn't wait to get rid of him. Of course, Kordell Stewart was his qb.

sago1

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Garrett believes that he can be such a great head coach by bringing in Cameron as OC (who couldn't get the job done in Miami) and Dom Capers as DC (wasn't he the Dolphins DC) where same thing happened to him in Miami. Realize Miami lacked enough quality players but still.....

Seems to be that if Jerry Jones wants Cameron (don't know enough about him to say yes or no) then he should go after him -- after all Wade Phillips has a better connection to Cameron then Garrett.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well if JG is pitching to the Ravens who he would bring in with him, then I'm guessing it's pretty much a done deal since he's been offered the job now.

Then only way he doesn't take it is if Wade is fired. I'm not even sure if he's made the highest paid OC in the league would be enough to keep him around now.

sago1

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't want Sherman as the OC. Once we get a new OC if necessary, I don't have a problem if Sherman as asst OC to his title and learns more about developing an offense and playcalling but don't want take a chance on him. I also don't want to lose Sherman since he relates so well with TO.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sago1;1906844 said:
So let me get this straight. Garrett believes that he can be such a great head coach by bringing in Cameron as OC (who couldn't get the job done in Miami) and Dom Capers as DC (wasn't he the Dolphins DC) where same thing happened to him in Miami. Realize Miami lacked enough quality players but still.....

Seems to be that if Jerry Jones wants Cameron (don't know enough about him to say yes or no) then he should go after him -- after all Wade Phillips has a better connection to Cameron then Garrett.
And Jerry can probably offer him more money. And he'd have better personnel to work with. And he'd have more control here than in Baltimore. And he'd have a shot at another HC position much sooner here than in Baltimore.

Boysboy

Reaction score
parcells316;1906836 said:
Sherman was a disaster in Pittsburgh. They couldn't wait to get rid of him. Of course, Kordell Stewart was his qb.

Sherman did an outstanding job in his lone year in Minny in '99-that was the year Jeff George came in for a struggling Randall Cunningham, and started playing lights out.(which, of course, increased his stock enough to make Synder open up his wallet)

If anything, he got a bum deal the next year b/c after Ray Rhodes was fired in GB, Sherman Lewis/Emmitt Thomas were also let go, and Denny Green REALLY wanted to take advantage of nabbing both coordinators from a division rival, and ended up pissing off Ray Sherman in the process.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1906821 said:
My guess is if Cameron has Jerry bidding on him vs. Garrett, he'd come to Dallas.

Yeah hes worked with Wade and we have tons more talent.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Boysboy;1906854 said:
Sherman did an outstanding job in his lone year in Minny in '99-that was the year Jeff George came in for a struggling Randall Cunningham, and started playing lights out.(which, of course, increased his stock enough to make Synder open up his wallet)

If anything, he got a bum deal the next year b/c after Ray Rhodes was fired in GB, Sherman Lewis/Emmitt Thomas were also let go, and Denny Green REALLY wanted to take advantage of nabbing both coordinators from a division rival, and ended up pissing off Ray Sherman in the process.

Of all the coaches at TC, Sherman amd Sparano struck me as being very good. You can only tell so much but seeing those huddles of Sparano, Sherman and Garrett mad em feel good.

pgreptom

Reaction score
theogt;1906851 said:
And Jerry can probably offer him more money. And he'd have better personnel to work with. And he'd have more control here than in Baltimore. And he'd have a shot at another HC position much sooner here than in Baltimore.

That's a joke - right?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It still kinda irritates me that he and Sparano were surely setting up their future staffs while we were trying to get ready for a playoff game. :mad:

I know that's just the way the system is set up, but I still don't like it.

And I wouldn't take Breer's speculation as fact on Sherman being OC, either. Somehow I doubt that happens.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chocolate Lab;1906873 said:
It still kinda irritates me that he and Sparano were surely setting up their future staffs while we were trying to get ready for a playoff game. :mad:

I know that's just the way the system is set up, but I still don't like it.

And I wouldn't take Breer's speculation as fact on Sherman being OC, either. Somehow I doubt that happens.

Yup...I hate the fact that the NFL lets it happen. I honestly think this had more to do with our loss on Sunday then most think. How much game planning do you think both did, considering they are contacting OC and DC around the league trying to build a staff.

I just wish both would have said they'll wait till after the season is over, like the Pats guys did.