Twitter: Gary Myers: Nobody would pay Dak $30M on the open market

basel90

Reaction score
Meyers is an idiot. "Stupid money"?. I didn't hear him complain when Eli got paid. This is the level of stupidity you get when you go to a NY Media type, in the tank for the Giants, for perspective.
Eli won 2 Super Bowls , and many playoff and crucial games , and a respected leader . Not much to compare now with Dak ( no Super Bowls , 1-6 against winning teams last year , greedy and arrogant , skipping practice with a new coach etc )

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Eli won 2 Super Bowls , and many playoff and crucial games , and a respected leader . Not much to compare now with Dak ( no Super Bowls , 1-6 against winning teams last year , greedy and arrogant , skipping practice with a new coach etc )
Meyers was speaking to all recent QB signings. Dak hasn't been paid anything yet. Eli has been mediocre at best during his career. He did catch lightening in a bottle with 2007 playoff run, but was nothing spectacular overall.

Proximo

Reaction score
He would easily get 30 mill.
Maybe more if the right bidding war played out.

The league is bereft of quarterback talent. What is so hard to understand about that.

31RoyW31

Reaction score
I'm up in NJ Giants territory, they are happy and ready to go with Jones.

We now have 4 QBs after signing pro bowler Dalton. Dak hasn't signed a contract or tag, the team is getting frustrated with him and the other teams are seeing this also. This doesn't help his cause.

I'll roll with Dalton and Nooch at this point, trade Dak for whatever we can get for him and recoup the 31 million in cap space.

Maybe a trade with the Raiders for Derek Carr and a draft pick. Let Carr and Dalton battle it out for the starter spot.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
None of these guys are worth the money but Dak would absolutely get 30-35 mil on the open market.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The fact you think Tannehill took his team to the AFC Championship game says all one needs know about you.
The fact that you think Dak is worth this mega contract at over $35m a season, says everything about you

Delusional/Kool-aid drinking homer

Tannehill stats when he took over (week 6-17)
70.28 %
2742 yds
22 TD
6 int
117 passer rating
7-4 record

Dak stats week 6-17
63%
3296 yds
19 TD
5 int
97.1 passer rating
5-6 record

baltcowboy

Reaction score

He makes a good point. Especially now the quarterback market is pretty much set. I bet there was a team that would have paid Dak that money if he was a free agent at the beginning of the free agent season. Now if the Cowboys wanted to be “Richards” we could rescind the tag, sign Cam to cheap deal similar to Dalton. Then use the rest of the money for Clowney. We would be tough to beat.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Dak would command $30 on the open market. That's basically the bottom level when you consider what quarterbacks will be making.
But … no team would give up two first-round picks to take Dak off the Cowboys' hands, and I dare say one first-round draft pick would be stretching it.
Dak is a leader, gutsy, a team player all the intangible qualities you'd want in a quarterback. But just like Tim Tebow, he just isn't a franchise quarterback. More like Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins and, shutter, Andy Dalton.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dak has done nothing compared to Eli , and went 1-6 against winning teams last season .
Meyers statement, and what I take issue with, alluded to all QBs signed lately. In any case, anyone who doesn't believe Dak wold get $30MM+ in a heartbeat should stop reading what people like Meyers are writing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In 2019 Dak was just 2 yards away from breaking the Cowboys all-time record for passing yards in a season...

Either Dak is great or Jason Garrett was a great Head Coach with a great offensive scheme.

Considering Dak's accomplishments, if he only has average talent, the Garrett had to have been super awesome.

In reality Dak has had great accomplishments with a HC and offensive scheme that should only be in middle school, not in the NFL

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dak pumpers be like:

boohoo.gif~c200

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So let him by Dallas changing the franchise tag to a non-franchise tag and allow Dak to work out a contract with New England and Dallas then gets back compensation in the form of:

New England's 2020 2nd round draft pick Safety Kyle Duggar, New England's 2021 1st and 2nd round draft picks.

Do we know that the rules allow them to change the tag and let him negotiate with other teams? I would pull any long term deal off the table, lower the tag, and tell him if he wants to remain a Cowboy, he will have to play under the tag, win the job, and perform well in MMs offense. If he can do all that, we will revisit a long term deal later in the season. If he doesn’t like it, he can try and find another team that will give up the picks for him which of course he won’t be able to do. He had life altering money on the table from probably the only team in the league that would offer it and he turned it down for a few pennies more due to ego and wanting to be paid more that QBs he knows are better than him. I’m not sure I want that kind of person as my QB anymore anyway. Find a way to trade him and I’m fine with it.