Gas prices?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw this on Yahoo this afternoon. Around here gas is down to $2.61 and dropping every 2 or 3 days. At least this is a little good news on such a gloomy day.

U.S. gasoline price marks biggest drop ever: survey
By Ilaina JonasSun Oct 12, 4:10 PM ET

The average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States recorded its largest drop ever as consumer demand continued to wane and oil prices slid, a prominent industry analyst said on Sunday.

The national average price for self-serve, regular unleaded gas fell 35.03 cents to $3.3079 a gallon on October 10 from $3.6582 two weeks earlier, according to the nationwide Lundberg Survey.

It was the lowest national average price since March 21, 2008. Since peaking at $4.1124 on July 11, the average cost of a gallon of gas has receded by 80.45 cents. Diesel fuel fell 21 cents to $3.95 a gallon, the first time since March that it has been below $4.00 a gallon.

"Plummeting oil prices and caving gasoline demand have combined to bring the biggest retail gasoline price cut in the history of the market," Trilby Lundberg, who compiles the survey, said in an interview. "We've been doing this 58 years. This is truly the biggest price drop."

On Friday, fears of a global recession helped drive down U.S. crude oil futures prices more than 10 percent to the lowest settlement since September 2007. U.S. crude for November delivery settled on Friday at $77.70 a barrel, down $8.89, or 10.27 percent, on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Meanwhile, travel on all U.S. roads fell 3.6 percent, or nearly 10 billion vehicle miles in July, compared with the same period last year, according to the most recent figures provided by the Transportation Department. It was the ninth straight month of declining driving activity.

HOW LOW CAN THEY GO?

Lundberg said the average gasoline price could fall below $3.00 a gallon as early as December.

"If crude oil prices don't spike, we can expect further price cutting for two reasons," Lundberg said. "Gasoline demand will continue to shrink in our weak economic condition, and retailers, who have been receiving deep buying price cuts, will be anxious to pass through any further price cuts they receive quickly. They need the sales."

According to the Lundberg survey, drivers in Honolulu paid an average of $3.91 a gallon for unleaded gas, the highest price in the nation. The Wichita, Kansas, region had the lowest average price, at $2.79 a gallon.

The Lundberg survey evaluates prices at about 5,000 gas stations.

(Reporting by Ilaina Jonas)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
$2.55 here.

Wichita surely can't be the lowest at $2.79. Prices haven't been that high here for almost 2 weeks.

ologan

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2332720 said:
$2.55 here.

Wichita surely can't be the lowest at $2.79. Prices haven't been that high here for almost 2 weeks.

Where is "here"?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was 3.09 last time I checked, which was Friday. Friend told me that she saw some for 2.99, so hopefully when I get gas tomorrow, I'll see it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dropped to $3.09 in my area.

Will get gas tomorrow because I heard the price of oil went up a few dollars today.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2332928 said:
The cheapest I have seen in Memphis was $2.83 at Wal Mart

like 3.39 here in Nashville.... :( good thing I don't have a car :D

Route 66

Reaction score
I'm wondering how all those Dodge/Chrysler customers who got that 2.99 gas guarantee feel now.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Rowdy;2336645 said:
I'm wondering how all those Dodge/Chrysler customers who got that 2.99 gas guarantee feel now.

What guarantee is that? That is a pretty weak incentive if it was one.

Speaking of Dodge, I think I may be ordering a Challenger tomorrow. Bye Bye Mustang.

Route 66

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2336975 said:
What guarantee is that? That is a pretty weak incentive if it was one.

Speaking of Dodge, I think I may be ordering a Challenger tomorrow. Bye Bye Mustang.

PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY:

Finally, some good news about gas prices...
INTRODUCING THE NEW $2.99 GUARANTEE.

With fuel prices continuing to rise, consumers asked for help. Chrysler answered the call by creating “Let’s Refuel America,” the innovative gas guarantee program for buyers of Chrysler vehicles.

Program participants, simply use a special card linked to their MasterCard® or Visa® credit card account. The card may be used to purchase enough fuel at $2.99 per gallon to travel up to 12,000 miles per year for 3 years. So no matter what the price at the pump says, you'll never have to pay more than $2.99 per gallon for qualifying fuel.[1]

These are challenging times. We’re doing what we can to help.

To enroll in this program please visit here or login.

1 87 Octane or diesel fuel only.

MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association.

* Allow 6 weeks for activation.

Voyager Fleet Systems is a product line offered by U.S. Bank Corporate Payment Systems, a division of U.S. Bank National Association ND.

Pricelock and the Pricelock Logo are Trademarks of Pricelock, Inc.

To view other current incentives click here

No deductible. See dealer for a copy of limited warranty details. Non-Transferable. Not available on SRT and certain fleet vehicles. On purchases after 07/26/07.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2.87 this morning. I put just under 18 gallons in and that came to around 49.97. So I'm excited. Normally when I've put that much in, it would cost me almost $70.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how the economy crashes and suddenly gas goes down?

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
CATCH17;2337457 said:
Isn't it funny how the economy crashes and suddenly gas goes down?
Yeah, I always get a chuckle out of that.