GB - Quick Thoughts on Free Agency

waldoputty

Reaction score
And I look at Patriots... They much OL in & out of the lineup... They willingly gave up a guy like Mankins. And never do you here... "Well Belichick is going to get Brady killed."

brady is the heart of the patriots team.
the running game and the OL is the heart of the cowboys, with Dak in his 2nd year.
big difference.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
brady is the heart of the patriots team.
the running game and the OL is the heart of the cowboys, with Dak in his 2nd year.
big difference.

Huh?

So it's an offensive line is less important to the Patriots?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well the running game is less important to the patriots - is it not?

So it's OK to put less than what many consider "prime" OL in front of Tom Brady?

BTW the Patriots were 7th in the NFL in running the football this season... I wouldn't consider that meaningless.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So it's OK to put less than what many consider "prime" OL in front of Tom Brady?

BTW the Patriots were 7th in the NFL in running the football this season... I wouldn't consider that meaningless.

come on, do i need to explain the difference between using the pass to set up the run vs using the run to set up the pass?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you always do this.
when you dont have an argument, you make personal insults.

There's no debate with you waldo... You start off with an irrational POV and try making it sound rational.

After a while I smarten up and realize any discourse with you is a complete waste of electrons.

waldoputty

Reaction score
There's no debate with you waldo... You start off with an irrational POV and try making it sound rational.

After a while I smarten up and realize any discourse with you is a complete waste of electrons.

The feeling is mutual.

rynochop

Reaction score
I also predict at least 50 passive-aggressive posts/threads this offseason by posters who are laughably wrong the majority of the time.
Their schtik is amusing this time of year...gets me through the offseason. They want the NFL to expand roster sizes but criticize any FA or if we God forbid resign anyone.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Their schtik is amusing this time of year...gets me through the offseason. They want the NFL to expand roster sizes but criticize any FA or if we God forbid resign anyone.

what else are we going to do. you can only talk about paea's 6 sacks in 2014 for 10 minutes...

rynochop

Reaction score
what else are we going to do. you can only talk about paea's 6 sacks in 2014 for 10 minutes...
Oh I'm not arguing that..just pointing out nobody wants to resign our own players or sign FAs unless it's on a one year veteran minimum incentive laden contract. Internet GMs could barely field a team much less an entire roster

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
we could have easily beat green bay last year if garrett was not stupid about clock management.

however, good luck beating atlanta or new england with the defense we have.

this team can easily go 12-4 and then go 1 and out again because of the defense.
This is true

Verdict

Reaction score
You can't begin to discuss our free agency without first discussing that we haven't done anything with Tony Romo. This is disappointing, but assuming we don't release him, at least we will get some value from him at some point. As a chief supporter of Romo, I'd like this chapter to end sooner rather than later. I would also like to reutilize that cap space and get the full benefits of a young QB on his rookie contract as soon as possible.

My primary concerns actually relate to the defensive side of the ball. I'm completely un-upset regarding anyone we lost on the defensive side of the ball. I wanted them all gone in the first place. Getting a strong safety to play next to Byron Jones shouldn't be that difficult. It's a position you should be able to address in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft.

I don't want to put a lot of resources towards corners right now. I think you can keep spending as much as you want on corners without improving your pass defense if you don't have a pass rush.

Moore is fine for depth, but clearly, should not be starting. You need some serious help on the defensive line and it still isn't there and it doesn't look like we'll get it in the draft.

It's unfortunate with the guaranteed money we gave Crawford, that we're on the hook with him for another two years...

They might think they can get over on this with internal development of Collins and Irving, with Mayowa coming on strong towards then, but I think a lot more is needed here.

From the empty spaces in the secondary, it seems like this draft may end up secondary heavy. So I'm guessing rebuilding the defense is a two-year project for them. Maybe even three. Which is absolutely stunning...

On offense, I wasn't super pleased that we kept Williams, but for that price, I'm sure it's fine. The primary concern now is probably right tackle. Chaz Green is fine, but only when healthy. We now need to address this spot to keep that offensive engine running. The last thing you want is a weak spot on what is supposed to be the best unit on your team.

My Priorities: DE, RT, DT, CB, S.

I'm not sure why you would want to get rid of Romo as soon as possible. It would be better to keep Romo as QB depth than give him away.