GBN Posted Latest Mock Draft by Jim Coyle

sago1

Reaction score
On GBN website is latest mock draft projection by Jim Coyle which lists us using 18th pick to select Jonathan Scott, OT from Texas, because we gotta protect Drew Bledsoe. Any thoughts? Don't know much about him except he rated 1 of top 3-4 OTs in this draft. While Coyle projects no other OTs to go in first round, I've seen other mock drafts projecting 2 or so other players.

I think this is a pick we have to make, even if in Parcells heart he wants a LB. We have to improve OL now and not make any stupid picks. I'd also like to use another first day pick to select a top stud OG, but don't think there much beyond Gilles (who should go late/mid first round) unless some of the quality juniors elect to enter draft this year. If Cowboys could afford cap hit, I'd cut both Allen & Riveria but that not possible in 06. Hopefully our new scouting department will do as good a job in analyzing offensive players as they did on the defense in 05. Of course, it pays to be lucky like we were when we got Canty.

Just wish there was some way we could get another 3rd (or even 2nd round) round pick, particularly since we don't have a 4th pick in 06. Just don't see any players who we could use to get a 3rd or even 4th rounder for. Dat probably retires in 06 & doubtful either Glover & Ellis would bring us such a high pick either. Of course maybe another team will trade up with us (giving us their 3rd/4th rounder) to grab some player they really think they need and we can still get the player we want. Remember the year we wanted Roy Williams and KC was desperate to get DL Sims. We moved down 2 or 3 places, still got Williams & also a 3rd rounder. Whoever we got with the 3rd rounder problably isn't even on the Cowboys now given our luck.

When you look over our drafts from 95-02 you wanna threw up; all we got to show for 8 years are Ellis (95), Dat (99) but he will no doubt retire, and only Williams & Gurode from 02. 03 is better with starters Newman, Witten, James, & A. Johnson (but in Johnson's case for how long) & maybe a backup or 2 whose names unfortunately I can't recall. Geez!

Ashwynn

Reaction score
That would be an excellent pick. Watch Scott in the rosebowl. Hes a great athelete and a smart player. I would be happy with this pick. Actually watch that hole line. Theres 2-3 players I would likee off that line.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Scott would be a good player. If Justin Blalock comes out early though, he would be a GREAT pick to play RT. Some believe he could be better than Scott.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the consensus best OT in the draft.

I would love to get this guy but he is a LT.

High quality character and has started since he was a freshman.

BP is close with the UVA coach too but we would HAVE to trade up for him. Way up.
Too bad.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
That would be an excellent pick. Watch Scott in the rosebowl. Hes a great athelete and a smart player. I would be happy with this pick. Actually watch that hole line. Theres 2-3 players I would likee off that line.
He's a LT though.

Hopefully Flozell will be back and full strength.

I like Marcus McNeill (Auburn).

He's a mammoth (6'9", 330) and perfect for RT.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the consensus best OT in the draft.

I would love to get this guy but he is a LT.

High quality character and has started since he was a freshman.

BP is close with the UVA coach too but we would HAVE to trade up for him. Way up.
Too bad.

We have NO SHOT at D'Brickashaw

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Funny that Coyle has the 49ers drafting Leinart. Not like they didn't draft a QB #1 last year...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery said:
Funny that Coyle has the 49ers drafting Leinart. Not like they didn't draft a QB #1 last year...
Niners shocked me by recently saying with the #1 pick they would trade it and not take Bush.

Scott at 19 would be fine with me. I think he'll go higher than that though.

zagnut

Reaction score
OT is the right pick. I don't think there's a bad choice between Scott, McNeill, Winston, Justice, and Colledge.

Kchunda

Reaction score
Is this the mock draft of which ya'll speak?

12 Cleveland (5-9) - Eric Winston - OT - Miami
Browns better protect passer’s blindside if they expect improvement.

13 St. Louis (5-9) - Charles Gordon - CB - Kansas
Rams need to add a top rated cover man.

14 Philadelphia (6-8) - Michael Bush - RB - Louisville
Eagles must find a way to run the ball better.

15 Miami (7-7) - Marcus McNeill - OT - Auburn
The Dolphins must protect their passer whoever he is next season.

16 Denver (Wash-8-6) - Michael Huff - S - Texas
Broncos’ secondary looking to add a playmaker.

17 Minnesota (8-6) - DeAngelo Williams - RB - Memphis -
Vikings jump at the chance to land this complete tailback.

18 Dallas (8-6) - Jonathan Scott - OT - Texas
Big D better find a way to protect Bledsoe.

19 Atlanta (8-6) - Chad Greenway - LB - Iowa
Falcons defense would love to add this playmaker.

20 Kansas City (8-6) - Kelly Jennings - CB - Miami
Chiefs defense has improved but a top cover man would be difficult to pass on here.

21 New England (9-5) - LaRon Landry - S - LSU
Patriots’ secondary looking to add a well developed prospect.

22 Pittsburgh (9-5) - LenDale White - RB - USC
Steelers have a couple of aging tailbacks at the end of the road.

23 San Diego (9-5) - DeMario Minter - CB - Georgia
Chargers looking to add a quality cover man.

24 Tampa Bay (9-5) - Jesse Mahelona - DT - Wisconsin
Bucs front line needs an influx of talent.

25 New York Giants (10-4) - Bobby Carpenter - LB - Ohio St.
G Men have little depth here and another playmaker is a must.

26 Chicago (10-4) - Vernon Davis - TE - Maryland
Bears offense would welcome this blue chip athlete with many needs on offense.

27 Jacksonville (10-4) - Maurice Drew - RB - UCLA
Jaguars ground game would welcome this playmaker.

28 Carolina (10-4) - DeMeco Ryans - LB - Alabama
Panthers defense looking for another playmaker on this unit.

29. Denver (11-3) - Marcedes Lewis - TE - UCLA
Broncos offense looking for a threat in the deep middle seam.

30 Cincinnati (11-3) - Leonard Pope - TE - Georgia
The Bengals offense would love to add this emerging playmaker.

31 Seattle (12-2) - Laurence Maroney - RB - Minnesota
Seahawks have to prepare if Shaun Alexander moves on in FA.

32 Indianapolis (13-1) - A.J. Nicholson - LB - Florida St.
Colts could still address defense early in this draft.

Only posted players of interest or who might be there when we pick. . . OT seems to be a deep position this year. Maybe we can strike oil in the 2nd round and take Huff if he's there? Just dreaming out loud. . .

Zagnut, there's your DeAngelo Williams!

jbsg02

Reaction score
Kelly Jennings is a great cover corner, but 20 is too high for him.

kartr

Reaction score
I'd rather have Claude Wrotten in the first, I would like our d-line to be able to generate a pass rush using just the front four like Chicago. There are plenty of good RT in the draft so we don't need one in the first.
point 3: why try and build a team around Bledsoe who's iffy at best;that was the mistake that the Jets made last year. Pick up Steve McNair after he's released;he'll make our OL better. Then get Jennings in the second and Todd Watkins of BYU in the 3rd as our speed WR, the RT in the 4th and DJ Shockley in the 5th as McNair's backup. Then in 2007 draft Omar Jacobs as our qb of the future.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jonathon Scott is from Dallas.

He went to Dallas Carter and was an all-state selection out of high school.

Excellent player who lived up to his high school status in college. Started at least 3 seasons at UT.

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Niners shocked me by recently saying with the #1 pick they would trade it and not take Bush.

This is EXACTLY what they should have done last year

Leinart/Cutler>>>>>>Smith,Rodgers

fortdick

Reaction score
Ryan O'Callaghan -Cal 6'7" 360 5.37/40

www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Ryan%20O'Callaghan

Draft Exchange Analysis:
This guy is the real deal at right tackle. He's not going to lead the parade when it comes to pull blocking but he is a strong run blocker who will win his share of battles. At Cal he was moved from guard to the outside to take advantage of his size and experience.

Will be a great fit for a run minded team looking for an anchor at right tackle.

Has had a star quality career at Cal, winning awards as a junior and senior. His superior size and lack of negatives project him to early 2nd round, maybe even first round. According to Kiper: "O'Callaghan will be prototype right tackle in the NFL."

Some press slippings:

O'Callaghan, a 6-foot-7, 360-pound senior from Redding, Calif., has started at right tackle for California the last three seasons and has been voted first-team All-Pac-10 Conference by the head football coaches the last two years. He, along with the rest of his offensive line mates, is a key reason the Golden Bears have finished either first or second in the Pac-10 in rushing the last two years. O'Callaghan becomes just the second California player to win the offensive award, following Todd Steussie, who won in 1993.

WALNUT CREEK, Calif.--Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata of Oregon and offensive tackle Ryan O'Callaghan of California have been named winners of the 26th annual Morris Trophy.

The Morris Trophy is a unique award given to the outstanding offensive and defensive linemen in the Pacific-10 Conference. What makes the award unique is the selection procedure, which has the starting offensive linemen in the Conference voting for the defensive winner and vice versa. It is truly a players' award.

Career notes:

Emerged as one of the nation's finest offensive tackles last year and may be in line for 2005 All-America consideration ... a true front-line player with a big, bruising style of play in the trenches ... considered one of the Bears' most improved players, claiming the first-string job at right tackle and starting in all 12 games last year ... one of the stronger members of the team, enters his senior season with 23 starts under his belt ... 2004 ... a first team All-Pac-10 honoree after registering a team-high 29 knockdown blocks ... a substantial contributor to an offensive line which fueled one of the nation's best rushing offenses and passing efficiency marks ... recipient of both the Bob Tessier Award (most improved offensive lineman) and Andy Smith Award (most playing time) ... saw limited action in spring of '04 following surgery on both shoulders ... 2003 ... started the final 11 games of the season ... team's rushing average increased from 124.3 to 180.3 yards in final 11 games with O'Callaghan as a starter ... 2002 ... saw action in all 12 games as a reserve tackle ... 2001 ... redshirted. High School/Personal: Earned PrepStar All-America honors, ranking as the No. 10 offensive line prospect in the West ... picked to play on the California state all-star team vs. Florida ... a dominant offensive tackle as a senior, allowing no sacks while registering 74 pancake blocks for a 10-2 Enterprise HS team in 2000 ... led a rushing attack that averaged 240 yards per game ... parents are Tom and Evelyn O'Callaghan ... born July 19, 1983 in Susanville, CA ... intended interdisciplinary studies major

Trade our first round pick for next year consideration (maybe Quinn?) and look to something like this guy. He is huge and to be recognized as the best O lineman in the Pac 10 ain't bad!

wick

Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
Scott would be a good player. If Justin Blalock comes out early though, he would be a GREAT pick to play RT. Some believe he could be better than Scott.

Blalock is reminicient of Vernon Carey, who was a tackle/guard swing prospect projected to settle in at guard for the long haul. I don't think Blalock's longterm future is at tackle.

If you're going to draft based on need, there's no question the pick must be a tackle. The other positions of critical need (safety, linebacker, and wide receiver) can be upgraded via free agency. You almost never see a top-flight tackle hit the open market.