General Thoughts on the Draft

Verdict

Reaction score
Prior to the Pro Day, reports listed deep speed as Horn's question mark....Then he ran a 4.39 forty...

Jaycee Horn: 33.3% completion % allowed in coverage in 2020. Lowest in the SEC

Neither Surtain or Horn are the extreme athletes/prospects that we've seen in the draft at that position many years; although, 6-1, 205, 4.39 with 41.5 vert for Horn does indicate elite athletic ability.

Barmore looks like exactly the type of player the Cowboys need. Quick and explosive as a pass rusher but big/strong against the run.
But is he Fletcher Cox? If you take him in the 10-15 range he had better be Fletcher Cox/Donald good.

DanA

Reaction score
I think Parsons is the least boom/bust player in the draft personally. The risk for me is LB isn’t as valuable. It’s a bit like the Zeke at pick 4 argument.

DanA

Reaction score
Jeff Okudah
Height: 6’1
Arm Length: 32.5”
Weight: 203lbs
Forty: 4.48’
Bench: 11 reps
Vert: 41”
Standing Jump: 11’3”

Patrick Surtain:
Height: 6’2
Arm Length: 32.5”
Weight: 209lbs
Forty: 4.46”
Bench: 18 reps
Vert: 39”
Standing Jump: 10’11”

Byron Jones
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 199lbs
Arm Length: 32”
Forty: 4.43’
Vert: 44.5”
Standing Jump:12’3”
* 4.36 forty at his pro-day

Jaycee Horn:
Height: 6’1
Arm Length: 33”
Weight: 205lbs
Forty: 4.39’
Vert: 41.5”
Standing Jump: 11’1”

These guys are as twitchy as you get. You can take pro-day results with a grain of salt but at the very least it shows they are upper tier athletes by nfl draft standards.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Parsons: Has a boom/bust vibe to me. Not bust in terms of can't play at all, but in terms of living up to his draft status.
exactly. there is too much concern for me to take with first pick & feel comfortable. there are LBers in this draft who are more proven and safer.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
For me, Horn is the guy who I don't want them to take at 10 because I value him lower.
folks just assume he can break his bad habit of grabbing. they shouldn't. giving up a first down via unnecessary penalties is just as bad as getting beat on the play.

Creeper

Reaction score
My general thought is this, there are a lot of good, not great, players in this draft that will be around for the first 2 1/2 rounds. The Cowboys need to find 3 of them and at least 2 on defense. Upgrading 2 positions on defense is a start.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Only if someone is willing to trade back though
Teams who are rebuilding or don't have many picks could be interested. Personally, I am probably only trading up to secure a free safety.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Right there with you on time spent.

It’s not as fun anymore but I get more enjoyment reading others opinions stress days then acquiring the info to properly form my own opinion.

Outside of QBs where I’m still clearly way smarter than everyone.
Way smarter about QB’s? You hate Dak who was just signed a 4 yr $160 million contract and you’re smarter?! :lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is where the team failed miserably in their evaluation of, and trade up for Mo Claiborne.

They never expected to have a shot at drafting him but when the Rams called with a relatively cheap trade up, Jerry just couldn’t help himself and they went up and got a guy that they hadn’t done their homework on... at least not on the mental/personality side.

Physically, he was everything they thought he was but his mental make-up was what caused him to fail to live up to his draft status.

I don’t think the team has failed in that department since that day.

Not just that but I've read reports they never brought him for an interview.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is where the team failed miserably in their evaluation of, and trade up for Mo Claiborne.

They never expected to have a shot at drafting him but when the Rams called with a relatively cheap trade up, Jerry just couldn’t help himself and they went up and got a guy that they hadn’t done their homework on... at least not on the mental/personality side.

Physically, he was everything they thought he was but his mental make-up was what caused him to fail to live up to his draft status.

I don’t think the team has failed in that department since that day.
I think injuries had more to do with Claiborne's struggles more than anything to do with his personality, and his mother dying at the beginning of training camp as a rookie didn't help much either.

He wasn't worth the #6, but it's not like Mo was a bad player. Injuries did more to prevent him from ever reaching his ceiling than his personality did though.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd agree with most of this with the exception of Sutrain/Horn. I'm in the minority but to me they aren't even close talent wise. Horn seems like a 15-20 guy to be tiered with Stokes and Newsome and a nice player. I've got Surtain ranked at 7 and firmly a top 10 player. I also don't see the big risk with JOK. I'd think he'd be versatile enough to lineup somewhere in just about any package.