George Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder of Trayvon Martin **Read Post #142**

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Breaking News: Zimmerman is in custody and will be charged with 2nd-degree murder

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A law enforcement official says that the shooter in the Trayvon Martin case will be charged with second-degree murder and is in custody.

The official with knowledge of the case says that the charge against 28-year-old George Zimmerman will be announced at a news conference at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The official says he's in custody in Florida but wouldn't say where. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to disclose the information.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-murder-charge-trayvon-martin-case-214123361.html

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
For those wondering what 2nd Degree Murder is in the State of Florida:

(2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Fla. Stat. Ann. § 782.04

joseephuss

Reaction score
What kind of headline or thread title is this? I don't see anything about race in it. :D

I figured it was just a matter of time before this happened. It takes time for a full investigation to be completed. Is it possible that it took a public outcry for an investigation to occur? Sure, I do think it is possible. I don't care what the reasons. Just glad something has been done up to this point. It will be an interesting case to continue to monitor.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
joseephuss;4502748 said:
What kind of headline or thread title is this? I don't see anything about race in it. :D

I figured it was just a matter of time before this happened. It takes time for a full investigation to be completed. Is it possible that it took a public outcry for an investigation to occur? Sure, I do think it is possible. I don't care what the reasons. Just glad something has been done up to this point. It will be an interesting case to continue to monitor.

This investigation from start to finish happened extremely fast compared to your average murder investigation. Only about 3 weeks since the case was taken over from the Sanford Police.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I saw this on CNN a couple of hours ago. It's going to be an interesting case.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just reading on twitter, the prosecutor in charge of the case is about her business. Getting lots of kudos for being professional with no rhetoric, and basically setting the right tone for the case going forward.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I really thought it wouldn't happen.

Will be interesting to see any new evidence.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hoofbite;4502767 said:
I really thought it wouldn't happen.

Will be interesting to see any new evidence.

They almost had too. If the lead prosecutor would have let him walk without a trial, it would have gotten pretty nasty I imagine. Especially for her...

Just hope the truth comes out on what really happened that day.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
casmith07;4502754 said:
This investigation from start to finish happened extremely fast compared to your average murder investigation. Only about 3 weeks since the case was taken over from the Sanford Police.

Of course, in many murder investigations, you need to figure out who committed the act. So comparisons with the "average" case don't seem entirely reasonable.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
This better not be OJ'fied , no need for a carnival side show within a trial.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
MonsterD;4502824 said:
This better not be OJ'fied , no need for a carnival side show within a trial.

yea, cause it's been so civil until now. :)

i don't know enough about how it all works to say if it was slow or fast or even if charges should be pressed, i leave that to the police and will just keep my popcorn handy and see how this goes.

cas - thanks for the wording of the law.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
iceberg;4502870 said:
yea, cause it's been so civil until now. :)

i don't know enough about how it all works to say if it was slow or fast or even if charges should be pressed, i leave that to the police and will just keep my popcorn handy and see how this goes.

cas - thanks for the wording of the law.

no problem, ice.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
There must be evidence of some kind to go with 2nd degree. I can't imagine them charging him with that unless they were sure that they had solid enough evidence to go with 2nd degree. Thought that it would be ManSlaugther

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't imagine Zimmerman would have a very pleasant time in prison at this point. Can you imagine what that would be like?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Just saw that Zimmerman has changed representation.

Probably a good thing, that last guy was doing him no favors.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think it goes without saying to keep this topic from becoming racially or politically charged. It will not be tolerated.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4502907 said:
Just saw that Zimmerman has changed representation.

Probably a good thing, that last guy was doing him no favors.

His former Attorney's were not making GZ look good in yesterday's press conference. Saying all kinds of things that made Zimmerman look bad. I guess he's glad to have a better lawyer

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Romo_To_Dez;4502912 said:
His former Attorney's were not making GZ look good in yesterday's press conference. Saying all kinds of things that made Zimmerman look bad. I guess he's glad to have a better lawyer

They were upset he was in touch with the prosecutor. And today he is arrested. You don't think a deal was worked out?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4502914 said:
They were upset he was in touch with the prosecutor. And today he is arrested. You don't think a deal was worked out?

Absolutely not.

rkell87

Reaction score
casmith07;4502909 said:
I think it goes without saying to keep this topic from becoming racially or politically charged. It will not be tolerated.

if it goes without saying, then why did you say it? jk jk:laugh2: