Georgia pro day: Cordy Glenn impressive as possible first-rounder

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cornerback Brandon Boykin, considered a potential first-round pick at next month's NFL Draft, did not participate in Georgia's pro day Monday, but offensive linemen Cordy Glenn impressed with a strong all-around workout.

Glenn is also considered a potential first-round selection. Glenn, a 6-5, 345 guard/tackle prospect, showed good movement skills, athletic ability and competitiveness, according to sources who attended the workout.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...12-georgia-pro-day-cordy-glenn-brandon-boykin

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
I would rather have Glenn than Upshaw or Kirkpatrick. He can be a really good player in this league at Guard and could provide some insurance at tackle if Smith or Free go down.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NeonDeion21;4440390 said:
I would rather have Glenn than Upshaw or Kirkpatrick. He can be a really good player in this league at Guard and could provide some insurance at tackle if Smith or Free go down.

He'd be a better RT than Doug Free.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Cordy Glenn at 14. Glenn is comparable to one Carl Nicks.

Yuma Cactus

Reaction score
I read Dallas was one of only two teams not represented at Georgia's Pro day. I am not a Glenn fan in the 1st, maybe the 2nd. His agility #s are well below his straight line speed.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Yuma Cactus;4440400 said:
I read Dallas was one of only two teams not represented at Georgia's Pro day. I am not a Glenn fan in the 1st, maybe the 2nd. His agility #s are well below his straight line speed.

The Bears were the other team. Glenn is a good fit for the Bears. It is interesting that the Cowboys were not there.

Glenn's short shuttle and 3-cone drill were not as good as Carl Nicks' numbers, but they compare favorably to Shawn Andrews' numbers. Andrews was an All-Pro guard, and he was picked at 16.

Andrews ran the short shuttle in 4.93.

Glenn ran the short shuttle in 5.00.

If the scouts were not happy with Glenn's numbers, he would have done them again at the Georgia Pro Day, too.

Andrews beat Glenn by only 7 hundredths of a second.

Andrews ran the 3-cone drill in 8.26.

Glenn ran the 3-cone drill in 8.13.

Here, Glenn bested Andrews.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Red Ball has clearly said he wants quicker faster O linemen.

350 lb guys are not that no matter what some claim.

The fact that no Boys were there is very telling

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
burmafrd;4440471 said:
Red Ball has clearly said he wants quicker faster O linemen.

350 lb guys are not that no matter what some claim.

The fact that no Boys were there is very telling

Quick and fast can come in different sizes.

Larry Allen...Nate Newton...

Vela has stated to look at the foot quickness and athletic ability and not size. Wes Bunting has stated that Glenn has the athletic ability to play the pulling guard (LG) in Dallas' scheme. Players like Glenn and Osemele don't come around every year, because those guys are rare. They are tough to find, because they have the size/length and power to go with the quickness and athletic ability.

The Cowboys may not pick him, but San Diego, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore should all be looking at Cordy Glenn.

Glenn is exactly the type of player that the Cowboys need to block the Giants and Eagles, in the running and passing games.

Glenn has been compared to Carl Nicks, and I think the Cowboys, based on multiple reports, are interested in Nicks.

The Cowboys are too small and weak in the interior offensive line. Even Jerry Jones admitted this.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Right after the Eagles picked some bust DT in the first round, the Patriots picked All-Pro guard Logan Mankins with the 32nd pick (in the first round).

Does anyone think Mankins is worth the 14th pick now?

Glenn is being projected in the top 20, and I doubt he gets by Pittsburgh at 23.

burmafrd

Reaction score
41gy#;4440484 said:
Quick and fast can come in different sizes.

Larry Allen...Nate Newton...

Vela has stated to look at the foot quickness and athletic ability and not size. Wes Bunting has stated that Glenn has the athletic ability to play the pulling guard (LG) in Dallas' scheme. Players like Glenn and Osemele don't come around every year, because those guys are rare. They are tough to find, because they have the size/length and power to go with the quickness and athletic ability.

The Cowboys may not pick him, but San Diego, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore should all be looking at Cordy Glenn.

Glenn is exactly the type of player that the Cowboys need to block the Giants and Eagles, in the running and passing games.

Glenn has been compared to Carl Nicks, and I think the Cowboys, based on multiple reports, are interested in Nicks.

The Cowboys are too small and weak in the interior offensive line. Even Jerry Jones admitted this.

Because the guys we had this year outside of Holland were either broken down like Kosier or micro guards like Nagy and Arkin.

And sorry but Glenn is not in the same galaxy as LA.
Only if they were looking at tackle would they consider Glenn.
And the so called interest by the team in Nicks is nothing but rumor; generated by mediots.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Disappointed but not surprised to see Orson Charles run between 4.7-4.9 in the forty. He never really looked that fast on the field.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Decastro is the perfect type of guard for what Red Ball wants. A quick and agile Technician big enough not to be bull rushed. I think it is no coincidence that the O linemen picked last year and brought in as UDFA's were NOT anywhere near Glenn or Nicks size. Now when desperate for cheap fixes they might look at one, for long term planning Red Ball wants guards who can get out there and take out quick LBs; the kind of guy that Glenn would look bad at trying to block in space

newlander

Reaction score
realtick;4440494 said:
Disappointed but not surprised to see Orson Charles run between 4.7-4.9 in the forty. He never really looked that fast on the field.

.........in third round: if gone so be it: solid 3rd rounder IMO: especially at 14.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;4440497 said:
Decastro is the perfect type of guard for what Red Ball wants. A quick and agile Technician big enough not to be bull rushed. I think it is no coincidence that the O linemen picked last year and brought in as UDFA's were NOT anywhere near Glenn or Nicks size. Now when desperate for cheap fixes they might look at one, for long term planning Red Ball wants guards who can get out there and take out quick LBs; the kind of guy that Glenn would look bad at trying to block in space

That's actually a really good point.

They brought in three OGs (two drafted and one UDFA) that were:
6'5" 310
6'4" 301
6'3" 303

It would be a bit strange to depart from that template and draft a 6'5.5" 345 lbs Cordy Glenn.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Yuma Cactus;4440400 said:

That would go against what I'm hearing. I'm being told Bill Callahan flew in from the Miami(Ohio) pro day as well as a handful of scouts. On last account it was Chicago and Miami that have not been accounted for. Could be wrong but I don't think Callahan is a figure that could be mistaken.

Matter of fact if watch some clips that ran on WXIA of the workout you can see 3 or 4 guys standing around in Dallas gear although I can't make out the faces.

Noryb

Reaction score
realtick;4440508 said:
That's actually a really good point.

They brought in three OGs (two drafted and one UDFA) that were:
6'5" 310
6'4" 301
6'3" 303

It would be a bit strange to depart from that template and draft a 6'5.5" 345 lbs Cordy Glenn.

Blocking in space really sounds good until it's 3rd and short. No wonder our RBs only had 4 rushing TDs last year, one being 91 yards.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
burmafrd;4440493 said:
Because the guys we had this year outside of Holland were either broken down like Kosier or micro guards like Nagy and Arkin.

And sorry but Glenn is not in the same galaxy as LA.
Only if they were looking at tackle would they consider Glenn.
And the so called interest by the team in Nicks is nothing but rumor; generated by mediots.

I didn't say Glenn was Larry Allen, but he's the best guard prospect to come out of the SEC since Shawn Andrews. Glenn and Osemele have power. David Arkin and Bill Nagy don't have power.

Time will tell on Nicks, but why would Dallas have zero interest in probably the best guard in the NFL? Nicks may price his way out of Dallas, but I'd be shocked if Dallas wasn't interested. The team needs three new interior offensive line players.

Why would Dallas play Glenn at right tackle but not consider him inside?

Kelechi Osemele has been called a more athletic, more agile version of Leonard Davis. Osemele has size/length, power, and athletic ability.

If you want to start erasing draft busts in the offensive line, you draft power, size/length, and athletic ability. That gives you the best chance for success, imo. Plus, you draft among the best players in the offensive line. Last year, the Cowboys drafted the best offensive linemen in the entire draft.

Tyron Smith is exhibit 1\A. Smith is the prototype OT in today's NFL.

The Cowboys have "heavily" scouted Phillip Blake (according to Mosley), and he is in the Andre Gurode mold. So, I'm not buying that the Cowboys are not going to like the bigger offensive linemen. Blake has power, size, and athletic ability. I'd draft him. Those guys are more valuable, because they are hard to find.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
Noryb;4440522 said:
Blocking in space really sounds good until it's 3rd and short. No wonder our RBs only had 4 rushing TDs last year, one being 91 yards.

Yeah, you're right.

It's about the individual players, their respective skills and technique. We haven't had much success the past few years in short yardage with Gurode, Bigg Davis or Holland either.

DeCastro's strength is run-blocking.