Georgia pro day: Cordy Glenn impressive as possible first-rounder

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
SDogo;4440510 said:
That would go against what I'm hearing. I'm being told Bill Callahan flew in from the Miami(Ohio) pro day as well as a handful of scouts. On last account it was Chicago and Miami that have not been accounted for. Could be wrong but I don't think Callahan is a figure that could be mistaken.

Matter of fact if watch some clips that ran on WXIA of the workout you can see 3 or 4 guys standing around in Dallas gear although I can't make out the faces.

That is good news to me, because I want all offensive line options on the table. Cordy Glenn should be in play, imo.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
realtick;4440535 said:
Yeah, you're right.

It's about the individual players, their respective skills and technique. We haven't had much success the past few years in short yardage with Gurode, Bigg Davis or Holland either.

DeCastro's strength is run-blocking.

The Cowboys saw Gurode and Davis decline due to age. They simply got old and were done by 2010. Holland is a JAG. Gurode was a huge asset against big 34 NTs. The Cowboys really missed not having Gurode (in his prime) this year.

Jacob Rodgers, Al Johnson, James Marten, Stephen Peterman...

All those guys fit Bill Parcells' template, and they all lacked power. They were all busts for the Cowboys, too.

You will not hear me complain about drafting DeCastro. That is for sure. He would be a great LG. However, I like Cordy Gleen, too.

I think the Cowboys would look at players like Ben Grubbs and Carl Nicks.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Draft projections are meaningless in the grand scheme... it depends on a particular weakness the team may have...

Interior linemen are important if you need them... safeties... etc...

While I like the BPA designation, if you have a slightly lesser rated player at a position you need, you go that route...

I think we have a couple of players that can step in in time, but we are REALLY hurting on the interior OL...

Yes, we have other needs, but we really need to shore up the interior OL...

That being said, I'm not opposed to taking an impact player if he is available...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Risen Star;4440392 said:
He'd be a better RT than Doug Free.

We'll have to take a look this year, but Free was pretty solid at RT in his stint for Columbo a couple of years ago. He was also solid his first year at LT. He wasn't as good last year at LT but was adequate for the most part. The push up the middle killed us last year...

I think the switch between he and Smith will work out for us... I think everyone pretty much saw the switch coming as Smith appears to have ultra-elite skills...

Randy White

Reaction score
SDogo;4440510 said:
I'm being told Bill Callahan flew in from the Miami(Ohio) pro day .

and I bet BC was paying very close attention to this guy at Miami of Ohio:

PHP4F1DA53058F04.jpg

970188305.jpg

Brandon Brooks.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Risen Star;4440392 said:
He'd be a better RT than Doug Free.

Don't be so quick to give up on Free, he played well two seasons ago at RT... maybe he's just not suited to play LT, but it doesn't follow that he can't play RT at a competent level...

silverbear

Reaction score
41gy#;4440394 said:
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Cordy Glenn at 14. Glenn is comparable to one Carl Nicks.

They do have remarkably similar computer numbers... that's no assurance that Glenn will ever be as good as Nicks is, but I think he has the potential to be that good...

silverbear

Reaction score
Randy White;4440624 said:
and I bet BC was paying very close attention to this guy at Miami of Ohio:

PHP4F1DA53058F04.jpg

970188305.jpg

Brandon Brooks.

That's the only reason he was there... Brooks is my new pet cat, and as I remarked on my mock draft, though he's currently carrying a 4th round grade, I have a hunch he's on his way up the draft board... I have a notion he'll wind up a second rounder before it's all said and done...

burmafrd

Reaction score
41. Take a look at the best running teams in the NFL and show me where they are populated by 345 lb guards.

A 310-135 guard can do it all. And he will NATURALLY be quicker and more agile then a 345 lb guard who is not LA.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really like Cordy Glenn and I love the fact that we could trade down and get some more picks and still probably get him.

As much as I like Decastro I think Glenn has more upside if you can get him in his best physical shape.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
silverbear;4440678 said:
Don't be so quick to give up on Free, he played well two seasons ago at RT... maybe he's just not suited to play LT, but it doesn't follow that he can't play RT at a competent level...

I hope you are right but the guys physical abilities just scream Left Tackle.

Athletic high motor player who is left handed.

I hope he bounces back.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CATCH17;4440783 said:
I really like Cordy Glenn and I love the fact that we could trade down and get some more picks and still probably get him.

As much as I like Decastro I think Glenn has more upside if you can get him in his best physical shape.

DeCastro is quicker and more agile so I fail to see how Glenn has more upside as a guard

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
burmafrd;4440801 said:
DeCastro is quicker and more agile so I fail to see how Glenn has more upside as a guard

If you could get Glenn to about 335 and in top physical condition he could really dominate at the LOS.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as Decastro at getting to the 2nd level but I think he could be better than him at the LOS.

silverbear

Reaction score
realtick;4440508 said:
That's actually a really good point.

They brought in three OGs (two drafted and one UDFA) that were:
6'5" 310
6'4" 301
6'3" 303

It would be a bit strange to depart from that template and draft a 6'5.5" 345 lbs Cordy Glenn.

Three counter observations:

I remember reading at the time that all three of the Boys' draft picks on the OL last year came with some growth potential, that all of them were projected to eventually play in the 315-320 pound range...

More important, when the Boys needed to bring in help at midseason, they brought in two of those big, lumbering guards-- Derrick Dockery and Montrae Holland... this suggests to me that Garrett was already backing away from the small but quick profile a bit...

Finally, replacing Houck with Callahan is likely to make a difference in the kind of offensive linemen that the Boys will target... from his time with the Jets, he had some big blockers, he had smaller, more agile linemen...

Bottom line, burm is dead certain that the Boys are looking for smaller, lighter offensive linemen, but it ain't necessarily so... indeed, if that's what they're targeting now, going to Georgia to watch Glenn work out, to Miami-Ohio to watch Brooks work out would seem to be a waste of their resources...

Of course, both Glenn and Brooks are big AND agile, which is what burm doesn't seem to factor in... if the Boys like a 300 pounder who can really move, why wouldn't they like a 340 pounder who can move well too??

silverbear

Reaction score
burmafrd;4440756 said:
41. Take a look at the best running teams in the NFL and show me where they are populated by 345 lb guards.

OK, burm, we get it-- you don't like big guards... of course, most 345 pound guards are on the slow side, inside maulers and nothing else... but that doesn't mean that ALL 345 pound guards are slow... take a look at the numbers Brandon Brooks put up at his Pro Day workout, you'll see they compare favorably with the numbers those 300 pound guards you prefer did at tje Combine...

Note that I'm not knocking David DeCastro, I know he's one of your favorites and he's one of mine too...

You are of course entitled to your own opinion on the subject, but you go too far when you say that the Cowboys are completely uninterested in the assorted big guards in this draft... you have no idea what their profile is for an offensive lineman, you just think you do... and their presence at workouts by Brandon Brooks and Cordy Glenn should cause you to consider whether you're not on the wrong track here...

A 310-135 guard can do it all. And he will NATURALLY be quicker and more agile then a 345 lb guard who is not LA.

So, you're saying that we should not be interested in adding a two time All-Pro guard in free agency, if we can??

Yeah, we're never gonna see eye to eye on that one...

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;4440844 said:
Three counter observations:

I remember reading at the time that all three of the Boys' draft picks on the OL last year came with some growth potential, that all of them were projected to eventually play in the 315-320 pound range...

DeCastro weighed-in at 316 at the combine.

More important, when the Boys needed to bring in help at midseason, they brought in two of those big, lumbering guards-- Derrick Dockery and Montrae Holland... this suggests to me that Garrett was already backing away from the small but quick profile a bit...

Derrick Dockery was brought in for his versatility to play either OG or OT. Holland was brought four years ago (2008) under Wade and Houck.

I don't see how Garrett could be "backing away from the small but quick profile" when the time sequence shows him adding smaller and quicker linemen such as Arkin, Nagy and Kowalski most recently.

Finally, replacing Houck with Callahan is likely to make a difference in the kind of offensive linemen that the Boys will target... from his time with the Jets, he had some big blockers, he had smaller, more agile linemen...

Remains to be seen I suppose.

Of course, both Glenn and Brooks are big AND agile, which is what burm doesn't seem to factor in... if the Boys like a 300 pounder who can really move, why wouldn't they like a 340 pounder who can move well too??

Glenn is huge, he's fast in a straight-line but he is certainly not agile.

3-cone -
DeCastro: 7.30
Glenn: 8.13

20-yard shuttle -
DeCastro: 4.56
Glenn: 5.00

Those are huuuuge differences. One of DeCastro's strong-suits is being able to target and block in space in the second level. I don't doubt Glenn's ability to handle himself on the line, it's in space that's the obvious question.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CATCH17;4440807 said:
If you could get Glenn to about 335 and in top physical condition he could really dominate at the LOS.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as Decastro at getting to the 2nd level but I think he could be better than him at the LOS.

Second level means more in the long run. I know some here are desperate to ignore Decastro but he is the prototypical Guard prospect and Glenn is not.

burmafrd

Reaction score
silverbear;4440854 said:
OK, burm, we get it-- you don't like big guards... of course, most 345 pound guards are on the slow side, inside maulers and nothing else... but that doesn't mean that ALL 345 pound guards are slow... take a look at the numbers Brandon Brooks put up at his Pro Day workout, you'll see they compare favorably with the numbers those 300 pound guards you prefer did at tje Combine...

Note that I'm not knocking David DeCastro, I know he's one of your favorites and he's one of mine too...

You are of course entitled to your own opinion on the subject, but you go too far when you say that the Cowboys are completely uninterested in the assorted big guards in this draft... you have no idea what their profile is for an offensive lineman, you just think you do... and their presence at workouts by Brandon Brooks and Cordy Glenn should cause you to consider whether you're not on the wrong track here...

So, you're saying that we should not be interested in adding a two time All-Pro guard in free agency, if we can??

Yeah, we're never gonna see eye to eye on that one...

I would like Nicks. But would rather have a smaller quicker guy. Another factor you might remember; the larger guys tend to fall off quicker and lose their legs faster.

Glenn vs Decastro should be a no brainer. Decastro. anyone claiming otherwise (as some here have) are full of it

burmafrd

Reaction score
Bottom line is that Decastro is a much better guard prospect for the type of offense that Red Ball wants then Glenn can possibly be.

johnnyd

Reaction score
burmafrd;4441086 said:
Bottom line is that Decastro is a much better guard prospect for the type of offense that Red Ball wants then Glenn can possibly be.

Your posts could be a drinking game. :laugh2: