Reaction score
johnnyd;4441094 said:
Your posts could be a drinking game. :laugh2:

Jack in the Black would be a good Strong Safety for the Raiders

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
burmafrd;4440471 said:
Red Ball has clearly said he wants quicker faster O linemen.
People always claim this, but where is the actual evidence for it?

I have a hard time believing Garrett wants the exact opposite lineman type as what Houck wanted. Otherwise, why have Houck at all? Or why not tell Houck that's not what you want?

I dunno, every coach wants them as big, strong, and fast as he can get them. Just not sure where Garrett has said he wants to tilt the balance to the very far end of the scale from what it has been.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to see Glenn or DeCastro in a Cowboys uniform, I just don't think it's going to happen. I think Dallas will go LB (outside or inside), DE, or DB in the 1st round. The only way I see Dallas taking either guard is if Cox, Kuechly, Ingram, Upshaw, Barron, or Kirkpatrick are all gone.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4441159 said:
People always claim this, but where is the actual evidence for it?

I have a hard time believing Garrett wants the exact opposite lineman type as what Houck wanted. Otherwise, why have Houck at all? Or why not tell Houck that's not what you want?

I dunno, every coach wants them as big, strong, and fast as he can get them. Just not sure where Garrett has said he wants to tilt the balance to the very far end of the scale from what it has been.

I think Red Ball wants tough smart football players who love to play the game. I also don't think he cares whether they are fatties or skinnies.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
burmafrd;4441086 said:
Bottom line is that Decastro is a much better guard prospect for the type of offense that Red Ball wants then Glenn can possibly be.

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Even the amazing DeCastro can't beat laws of physics.

LehighCowboy

Reaction score
Cordy was a high school teammate of my friend Will Rackley, Jacksonville's 3rd Round pick last year. I have heard nothing but good things about Cordy -- wouldn't be too upset if he ends up with a star on his helmet next year.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think it's a very good year for guards in general. Steelers GM Kevin Colbert recently said the same thing.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue;4440571 said:
While I like the BPA designation, if you have a slightly lesser rated player at a position you need, you go that route...

I don't agree.

You don't approach the draft like it's veteran free agency. You acquire talent in the draft. You fill holes in FA.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue;4440581 said:
We'll have to take a look this year, but Free was pretty solid at RT in his stint for Columbo a couple of years ago. He was also solid his first year at LT. He wasn't as good last year at LT but was adequate for the most part. The push up the middle killed us last year...

I think the switch between he and Smith will work out for us... I think everyone pretty much saw the switch coming as Smith appears to have ultra-elite skills...

And I think what I've always thought. That Doug Free is a vastly overrated and now overpaid player who will only look good with a ton of help from tight ends and backs chipping.

He's not a natural RT. Doesn't have the girth nor the functional strength to move people. He's a LT. He just isn't a very good one.

burmafrd

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4441187 said:
Force = Mass x Acceleration

Even the amazing DeCastro can't beat laws of physics.

and someone needs to teach you about reality

such as the larger the mass the more energy it requires to move

You know. Small sports cars corner better then larger ones.

It is called being able to move quick and pick up blitzers or stunts or block at the second level

but then only people that know something about football realize that

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Risen Star;4441559 said:
I don't agree.

You don't approach the draft like it's veteran free agency. You acquire talent in the draft. You fill holes in FA.

Which is why I said if you have a player of need SLIGHTLY rated less than BPA, then you take him...

I am not on board with drafting for need at all costs...

Risen Star;4441562 said:
And I think what I've always thought. That Doug Free is a vastly overrated and now overpaid player who will only look good with a ton of help from tight ends and backs chipping.

He's not a natural RT. Doesn't have the girth nor the functional strength to move people. He's a LT. He just isn't a very good one.

I felt we signed him to a higher contract than w should as we felt he was a LT...

Regardless, he was good at RT when he played there... and he was good at LT two years ago...

He certainly wasn't a premiere LT this year but he was far from the worst in the league... Tyron Smith was always going to be LT for us IMO...

I think he will look better on either side if we improve in the interior... we need some maulers in there...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear;4440682 said:
That's the only reason he was there... Brooks is my new pet cat, and as I remarked on my mock draft, though he's currently carrying a 4th round grade, I have a hunch he's on his way up the draft board... I have a notion he'll wind up a second rounder before it's all said and done...

03/06/12 - Miami (Ohio) OL Brandon Brooks was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, but he will likely be one of the players selected on the third day of April’s draft because of his size, speed and strength. His eye opening numbers at Thursday’s pro day will no doubt help his cause. Brooks was among the six players who worked out Thursday at the school’s pro day, held indoors on artificial turf. Brooks measured at 6-foot-5, 346 pounds with 32 5/8-inch arms, and was clocked at 5.0 and 4.98 seconds in his two 40-yard dashes. Brooks then posted 4.58 seconds in the short shuttle drill, and a three-cone drill time of 7.42 seconds. He also threw up 225 pounds 36 times in the bench press. Brooks later went through positional drills conducted by a member of the Steelers organization. I don’t think anyone expected Brooks, who participated in the East-West Shrine Game, to run as fast or demonstrate as much strength as he did. It’s actually a surprise that he wasn’t at the combine, but they can invite only so many players. But everyone is looking for big offensive linemen, and this is a big man. We talked so much about Memphis DT Dontari Poe‘s workout, and Brooks’ numbers are similar. These are the kinds of guys that end up having a chance to make a team. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Pretty impressive for a guy who wasn't at the combine.