Get the Speed the Rock!

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you watch other teams play you just see a difference in how the games flow. How teams use motion to get played open…how teams use route that allow for corners to get picked without it being against the rules. It just looks archaic in what they run.

Cooks is what he is at this point but no one can tell me making a 5’10 receiver run hitch routes like he’s a 6’4 possession receiver is smart.
Yeah and you know what I think Mike McCarthy knows this he's capable I think he's really trying to keep the scores down and keep the game close and he's afraid of getting the ball back to the defense too fast literally I know I could be making this stuff up but the way he started the last two years it's he was assuming they need to keep the ball longer because he doesn't trust the defense you just forget about it... So these are designed slow evolving long drives the problem is when you're not trying to take the top off the defense when you're not trying to challenge the defense to come off the run game it affects the run game as well because I don't respect it but they're also not scared to only put four men up on the line to stop the run and just send everybody in too deep zone because they know you're not gonna try to challenge it at all like they have no need to even game plan for us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How well has that dumb ideology worked out? Nothing but caca.

The better coordinators use their fast and twitchy players to the best benefit of the team. This Cowboys coaching staff is among the worst.
Well I’ll say this fast and twitchy doesn’t mean success. You have to be able to play. Even with Andy Reid he couldn’t get anything out of Toney or Moore. I think Turpin is a part time player. His role is what he is.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Well I’ll say this fast and twitchy doesn’t mean success. You have to be able to play. Even with Andy Reid he couldn’t get anything out of Toney or Moore. I think Turpin is a part time player. His role is what he is.
I disagree. Speed and quickness matters. It makes a big difference in the NFL if you know how to use it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
At some point we just have to admit that these guys aren't very good. They've tried to get the ball to Turpin in space and it hasnt produced anything. Last year they got him 5 targets behind the LOS and it resulted in 3 drops, and his 2 catches only went for a combined 4 yards. This year go back and watch the NO game, they tried to get him some balls schemed to him in the flats, and it didnt work out either. The end arounds at least give you a chance at a big play, he had 2 or 3 of them last year for decent gains, but they are not hitting at great percentages. Ultimately a guy like Turpin has to develop as a more well rounded receiver or this speed he has isnt much to worry about. When you can really scheme guys open and get them in space is when they are actually a threat to beat you in multiple ways, or they can beat their man 1v1. This idea that defenses just get fooled to leave receivers uncovered on a regular basis isnt accurate.
Really we're talking about the difference between them just sending him to the edges behind the line of scrimmage and tossing him the ball that's too slow developing that's not what we're talking about we're talking about having him run deep more having him double moves or more screens misdirection and around double reverses you know things to get the eyes off the defense he ran that same play behind the line of scrimmage to two different players like 6 times in one game like literally I could see it coming you can't just have slow developing plays where you run the guy to the edge and just toss it out there especially against teams like the Saints who are playing up they're a man team they're playing up near the line of scrimmage and you're tossing the ball out there you're just giving them a negative play over and over...

That's what we're talking about we're talking about the use of these players they're not being used properly in your statement proves that you think it's them but the place that they're being used in are not utilizing their speed because if you can get the defense just leaning the wrong way a couple of times you I like Vaughn or Turpin that can make them lose their shoes and they can be off for 20,50, maybe even a full touchdown run..

Also the way they use CD lamb same thing why are you using him in the backfield when you should be having two people back there so you don't know what's coming and maybe use him as a decoy have him actually go out and run a route as a backup option and then have someone like coming around the other way where he tosses in the ball or Prescott fakes it to lamb and then pitches it back the other way you have to do these things with speed guys do not watch football there's other schemes that use lesser players and have them have big days or at least a couple of big chunk plays a game because of misdirection lots of motion everybody's saying this not just us go listen to criticisms of our offense and our defense it looks like we're running archaic game plans..

Other people are running things that look like you actually have to have film studies that the plays actually have to be really practice hard to get it right during the week when you install it into a game plan they're not just straightforward having the same 3 routes ran at the same depth and do 3 curls or three slants this gets old they're not even running a bunch of nines they're not trying to take the top off the defense no motion no misdirection no double motion I don't think you get what we're talking about I watch other teams play and we look like a high school team...

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Turpin is capable of running more than one route but not even talking about him. Tolbert and Cooks run the same curl and hitch routes all game and sometimes they will give Lamb a slant. It’s the most predictable and boring plays you will witness. It’s embarrassing. There’s no separation for a reason.
The hitch routes never work because corners do not respect their ability to get deep. A hitch also doesn't require much separation if the WR knows how to use their body. Many of those, I bet, are sight adjustments too that are called as a two-way option.

I don't love the playcalling, but it doesn't matter when WRs can't beat anybody vertical.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Turpin is capable of running more than one route but not even talking about him. Tolbert and Cooks run the same curl and hitch routes all game and sometimes they will give Lamb a slant. It’s the most predictable and boring plays you will witness. It’s embarrassing. There’s no separation for a reason.
IMHO the coaching staff does what they can with what they have. Same with the last staff. What you see week after week is what Dak does well. When they open things up it all falls apart.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would love a young energetic innovative coaching staff as much as if not more than anyone. It is all I talk about around here. It would be fantastic but to say the coaches are the reason that JAGs like Turpin and Deuce are not excelling is absurd.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The coaches throwing screen passes to Zeke in 2016 were geniuses. The coaches throwing screen passes to Zeke in 2024 are morons. Simple as that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What happened to all the guys like Tavon Austin? Henry Ruggs? John Ross? John Ross went to the Chiefs....4.2 speed...nothing.
You need at least 1 who can spread opposing defenses and keep them honest. The best teams right now have at least 1 speed receiver who they use to go deep with to help open things up underneath for their slower receivers.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m absolutely baffled as to why our fastest and most elusive players aren’t getting the ball. Can this offensive mastermind not do anything other than a jet sweep with Turpin? Can we not do anything but run the ball between the tackles with Duece?? Scheme up some plays to get these players the rock in space. An absolute waste of talent.
Absolute waste of our time to deviate from our beloved game plan every week to do such a thing!!! We love our playbook, we believe in it, an we see no changes coming "Coach Jerry Jones"

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gosh you're on fire today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Damn near half of the league is off the Shanahan tree in some form or fashion whether they worked with him or worked with someone who’s worked with him. I just don’t understand if that’s where the league is at why are you doing the opposite?
Shanahan would be using Turpin, no doubt about it. He would make sure your safty is watching him instead sitting on CD.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
CeeDee is probably the slowest receiver we have and he is far and away the best. There is no bigger proponent of speed than yours truly as I have been a track and field aficionado since 1964 but speed alone simply is not enough. You gotta be able to play football. Turpin has sick top end speed and Vaughan has sick short area quickness. Our coaching staff has not figured out how to best utilize either. Keep in mind however that our offensive line has had its share of struggles and if you want to throw the ball deep you can't have people in your QB's face within a second and a half of the snap. Again as with most things in football, lose the trenches and you lose just about everything else.