Get the Speed the Rock!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
CeeDee is probably the slowest receiver we have and he is far and away the best. There is no bigger proponent of speed than yours truly as I have been a track and field aficionado since 1964 but speed alone simply is not enough. You gotta be able to play football. Turpin has sick top end speed and Vaughan has sick short area quickness. Our coaching staff has not figured out how to best utilize either. Keep in mind however that our offensive line has had its share of struggles and if you want to throw the ball deep you can't have people in your QB's face within a second and a half of the snap. Again as with most things in football, lose the trenches and you lose just about everything else.
no doubt CD is the one paying the price for this lack of scheme/personell which ever...but at least run Turpin across the safties face more and see if it free's CD up...you never know you might end up with a wide open Turpin on some plays.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CeeDee is probably the slowest receiver we have and he is far and away the best. There is no bigger proponent of speed than yours truly as I have been a track and field aficionado since 1964 but speed alone simply is not enough. You gotta be able to play football. Turpin has sick top end speed and Vaughan has sick short area quickness. Our coaching staff has not figured out how to best utilize either. Keep in mind however that our offensive line has had its share of struggles and if you want to throw the ball deep you can't have people in your QB's face within a second and a half of the snap. Again as with most things in football, lose the trenches and you lose just about everything else.
I don't understand why nobody else sees this

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't actually have any functional speed...

Deuce isn't fast and Turpin can go fast in a straight line, but can't make anybody miss.
We don;t have an o-line either.

SHow me the plays with O-line up the field looking for someone to pancake. If the lone gets stonewalled....so do the RBs.

I know...there some sort of "space" stat out there. Whatever!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
no doubt CD is the one paying the price for this lack of scheme/personell which ever...but at least run Turpin across the safties face more and see if it free's CD up...you never know you might end up with a wide open Turpin on some plays.
My guess is you get more of this than having safeties leave CD. But yeah it WILL happen from time to time. But again, the line needs to hold up for 3-4 seconds to allow those deeper routes to develop. Have you seen a lot of that?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m absolutely baffled as to why our fastest and most elusive players aren’t getting the ball. Can this offensive mastermind not do anything other than a jet sweep with Turpin? Can we not do anything but run the ball between the tackles with Duece?? Scheme up some plays to get these players the rock in space. An absolute waste of talent.
are they saving it, lol I don’t get it either

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
My guess is you get more of this than having safeties leave CD. But yeah it WILL happen from time to time. But again, the line needs to hold up for 3-4 seconds to allow those deeper routes to develop. Have you seen a lot of that?
No but im not sure we can fix that right now, time is the only fix for that...right now your best bet is to get the Safties and LB's off CD or this offense is not gonna work even when the Oline does give time its 99% a contested as hell catch..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No but im not sure we can fix that right now, time is the only fix for that...right now your best bet is to get the Safties and LB's off CD or this offense is not gonna work even when the Oline does give time its 99% a contested as hell catch..
I love the fullback that they’re using him. I would just run the freaking ball and run the freaking ball. Until the offensive line learn how to do it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I love the fullback that they’re using him. I would just run the freaking ball and run the freaking ball. Until the offensive line learn how to do it.
i mean its scheme and timing also, would i love to run the ball up and down the field..sure but we can not when missed assignments by the OL AND RB's is setting us behind the sticks then you throw in a holding call or false start and your chance to run the ball has pretty much gone out the window. Your best bet to unlock anything in this current scheme (Im not saying i like it BTW) is to figure out how to get CD working THEN that might open up the run/seem routes and such...would love to see a usable run game open the offense up...have we seen any sign of that?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
i mean its scheme and timing also, would i love to run the ball up and down the field..sure but we can not when missed assignments by the OL AND RB's is setting us behind the sticks then you throw in a holding call or false start and your chance to run the ball has pretty much gone out the window. Your best bet to unlock anything in this current scheme (Im not saying i like it BTW) is to figure out how to get CD working THEN that might open up the run/seem routes and such...would love to see a usable run game open the offense up...have we seen any sign of that?
I dunno man seems like CD is one of the few things on this offense that IS working on a the reg. I mean he is 18th in catches but 8th in yards. And already has two TDs over 50+ yards. I do like the thought process of sending Turpin or Cooks deeps pretty much every play and stretch the defense out. I think that removes at least one safety from the equation on every play and that can only be a good thing for our offense.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m absolutely baffled as to why our fastest and most elusive players aren’t getting the ball. Can this offensive mastermind not do anything other than a jet sweep with Turpin? Can we not do anything but run the ball between the tackles with Duece?? Scheme up some plays to get these players the rock in space. An absolute waste of talent.
Turpin needs to be on the field because his speed is a threat and opens space for others. Deuce, however, is not fast, not at all. He is quick, has excellent instincts and vision. In the open field, he can make a defender miss here and there, but he’s not running away from anyone.