Get to know the three Zone members we're sending to TO's camp

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Tass said:
My son is one of the three that the Zoners were kind enough to sponsor. (Thank you SO much!)

Understand a couple of things...1) We are a military family. That means we don't usually have the kind of bread it takes to do all the things we'd like to do. The fact that the Zone sponsored my boy to ANY football camp is an almost unbelievable honor. (I guess I'm trying to say that beggars can't be choosers)

2) My son is a great kid. I can't tell you how many times people that have met him have later remarked to me "Wow, your son has such good manners." or "He's a very polite young man...I bet you are proud." Yes, I am.

He is an A student in school and he goes out of his way to help his teammates and other people. He wants football knowledge from guys who know. He knows I think TO is a jerk but I told him just be respectful and learn all you can. Being exposed to Owens for two days will NOT change the fiber of my son.

Again, thank you Zoners. My boy wouldn't have an opportunity to attend any kind of camp but for the generosity you have shown.

Thats good stuff Tass, and might I say how proud we are all of you serving in the military. I hope your son has a great time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eric & Tass, great responses.

dcfanatic, I hear what you are saying and as someone who is not a fan of TO I get your point. However, let me point out one thing and it is THE reason why I decided we would do this.

TO is a Dallas Cowboy now, like it or not. He has promised that he will "embrace the star." To me that means he will do things that make us proud. In his career in 2 other NFL cities he has not held these camps. That to me signals something. He means what he says. That doesn't mean I am going to like him.

He is not the only football player or coach attending these camps. So the chances of him being the Pied Piper who leads these kids to attitude ruin is so slim that Vegas didn't even post odds on it. These are 3 great kids. Accept this for what it is, a bunch of very nice people on this forum trying to make it so 3 kids who wouldn't have a chance to go otherwise, can attend a football camp and enjoy themselves.

I attended football camps almost every year growing up. I never had this kind of opportunity. That's what this is about.

Nothing against Jay Novacek or his camp. I didn't even know he held one. Post the link to it and I'll try and send Princess' son Eric to that one. If for no other reason than so Princess can drool all over Jay and get pictures of him. I mean, she's only madly in love with him.

zrinkill (I believe) posted the article about this camp. Stealth mentioned it would be cool to send a kid to it. I took it from there. Blame me. It's my fault. I can live with your scorn. I've got an entire forum of people who have never met me that are full of scorn in my honor. One more person is no big deal.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
As somebody who works with kids on an ongoing basis, I applaud this initiative and beleive that ideas like this should continue. with respect to dcfanatic, I like the idea of the Novacek camp as well. Perhaps we should consider this as an additional possibility(?). Having viewed the posts from the guys who are going, I am satisfied that this will be an experience that we can feel positive about. I'd love to see some pictures from camp and some feedback from the participants. it's good to know that the range of participants includes these kinds of people. Good luck and, above all, have fun..........

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Nothing against Jay Novacek or his camp. I didn't even know he held one. Post the link to it and I'll try and send Princess' son Eric to that one. If for no other reason than so Princess can drool all over Jay and get pictures of him. I mean, she's only madly in love with him.

We'd see her on ESPN running out on the field and attacking Jay like that one lady tried to do Troy in the 90's :D

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile,

I think you see from my posts that I am not out to be a killjoy for these kids going to a football camp by any means. BigD just didn't see my point and saw me 'crying' about TO. That was not the case as I stated.

I hope these kids go to camp and gain as much as football knowledge as is possible over the two days. In my original post I wrote the last line about respecting my opinion because I just wanted to make a point and move one from it. Sort of 'no biggee', but I am sure I wasn't the only one who wouldn't send their kids to a TO camp because of what he stands for.

Then BigD tried to make me look like a fool which I won't stand for. I think kids are very impressionable these days and we as a society have a responsibility to provide them with some sound guidance.

I am sorry my post even created any controversy at all. I think it's a great idea that this message board is even willing to help out the participants. I will definitely be a contributor if you guys do decide to send another kid to the Jay Novacek camp.

By the way, here's the link to his football camp site.

http://www.footballcamps.com/default.asp?page=20&camp=2

Again, sorry to even create a stir on this issue.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dcfanatic said:
Hostile,

I think you see from my posts that I am not out to be a killjoy for these kids going to a football camp by any means. BigD just didn't see my point and saw me 'crying' about TO. That was not the case as I stated.

I hope these kids go to camp and gain as much as football knowledge as is possible over the two days. In my original post I wrote the last line about respecting my opinion because I just wanted to make a point and move one from it. Sort of 'no biggee', but I am sure I wasn't the only one who wouldn't send their kids to a TO camp because of what he stands for.

Then BigD tried to make me look like a fool which I won't stand for. I think kids are very impressionable these days and we as a society have a responsibility to provide them with some sound guidance.

I am sorry my post even created any controversy at all. I think it's a great idea that this message board is even willing to help out the participants. I will definitely be a contributor if you guys do decide to send another kid to the Jay Novacek camp.

By the way, here's the link to his football camp site.

http://www.footballcamps.com/default.asp?page=20&camp=2

Again, sorry to even create a stir on this issue.
Thanks for the link. I will look into it.

I didn't even read all the responses to you so I can't address that. I took the initiative on this, if you're upset by it please blame me and not the good folks who donated. I alone should feel the scorn on this.

That's all I ask.

DeepBleu

Reaction score
i'll say this. the mods here are more honest than the former mod at the ranch. last time there was a fundraiser. that mod came down with cancer and disappeared.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
dcfanatic said:
The hell with my site. What I was trying to promote was teaching our kids to be something other than a 'TO'. Your probably one of those guys that hated him as an Eagle and a 49er because he was a moron, but now that he's a Cowboy you want your kids looking up to this schmuck.

Kids aren't all that stupid you know. If Eldorado is a jerk, they're gonna figure it out pretty quick.

And you know what? Maybe next year, we ought to have a drive to send a kid to Novacek's camp. Not sure how we'd pick out the kid, but it would be a cool tradition to start. Maybe have them write an essay. Or run the 40 ;).

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Kids aren't all that stupid you know. If Eldorado is a jerk, they're gonna figure it out pretty quick.

And you know what? Maybe next year, we ought to have a drive to send a kid to Novacek's camp. Not sure how we'd pick out the kid, but it would be a cool tradition to start. Maybe have them write an essay. Or run the 40 ;).

Great idea.

Well lets set up the testing now.
Best results goes.
Minimum qualifying standards:
How many time bench press 450 lbs - must be able to do 10.
time in the 40 - must be sub 5.0 seconds.
Vertical leap - must be at least 34 inches.
Short shuttle run - sub 15 seconds.
run a mile in less than 5:40.
;)

But it is a great idea to send one of the younger posters to the football camp.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
Great idea.

Well lets set up the testing now.
Best results goes.
Minimum qualifying standards:
How many time bench press 450 lbs - must be able to do 10.
time in the 40 - must be sub 5.0 seconds.
Vertical leap - must be at least 34 inches.
Short shuttle run - sub 15 seconds.
run a mile in less than 5:40.
;)

But it is a great idea to send one of the younger posters to the football camp.

Well, here's Tanin and his little brother. Since the future qualifications are going to be tougher I'll start training the little one now. ;)
3.jpg

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Tass said:
My son is one of the three that the Zoners were kind enough to sponsor. (Thank you SO much!)

Understand a couple of things...1) We are a military family. That means we don't usually have the kind of bread it takes to do all the things we'd like to do. The fact that the Zone sponsored my boy to ANY football camp is an almost unbelievable honor. (I guess I'm trying to say that beggars can't be choosers)

2) My son is a great kid. I can't tell you how many times people that have met him have later remarked to me "Wow, your son has such good manners." or "He's a very polite young man...I bet you are proud." Yes, I am.

He is an A student in school and he goes out of his way to help his teammates and other people. He wants football knowledge from guys who know. He knows I think TO is a jerk but I told him just be respectful and learn all you can. Being exposed to Owens for two days will NOT change the fiber of my son.

Again, thank you Zoners. My boy wouldn't have an opportunity to attend any kind of camp but for the generosity you have shown.

Seems like you do have one great kid, based on his thank you post. I always am amazed at how people think outside influence is greater than family influence on a kid? I know the way I grew up, no outside influence could make me do anything bad, simply because my parents would never let me get away with anything bad.

Now I apply that to my kids and so far so good.

Anyway it seems like you are doing a very good job with your kid, and personally I think its foolish to think somehow TO will influence a kid or two in a two days they attend a camp of his, IMO.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
I can't thank all of y'all enough for this opportunity, but I thougt you would like to know who your sending, so her is a pic of me, just after a Cortez game winning field goal at the giants game.

Its me and the lovely Ms. Emma Dawson :D
The one thing crutches are good for :D Chick magnets :)

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/cheerleader2.jpg

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
cowboyeric8 said:
I can't thank all of y'all enough for this opportunity, but I thougt you would like to know who your sending, so her is a pic of me, just after a Cortez game winning field goal at the giants game.

Its me and the lovely Ms. Emma Dawson :D
The one thing crutches are good for :D Chick magnets :)

http://i69.***BLOCKED***/albums/i67/cowboyeric8/cheerleader2.jpg

Indeed :laugh2: Too bad too young for her most likely :D

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Seems like you do have one great kid, based on his thank you post. I always am amazed at how people think outside influence is greater than family influence on a kid? I know the way I grew up, no outside influence could make me do anything bad, simply because my parents would never let me get away with anything bad.

Now I apply that to my kids and so far so good.

Anyway it seems like you are doing a very good job with your kid, and personally I think its foolish to think somehow TO will influence a kid or two in a two days they attend a camp of his, IMO.

This is a great post! :bow: :bow: :bow: