Getting tired of media take on the game!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2460823 said:
The media is fickle.

This week they are in love with Pitt. Why? Because they are always in love with New England, and Pitt just beat New England by a pretty large total, even if the game wasn't really decided until late in the 4th quarter and Randy Moss dropped two TDs.

If we beat Pitt next week, they will in turn have to be obsessed with us, or the storyline will be that the AFC is terrible, and they like what Dallas did, BUT they need to see them do it against the Giants before they believe in them.

They are adorable for their lack of insight and predictability.

bingo.

Its about that time for philly to become the team no one can beat again also.

Just look at the coverage of philly a week ago. On sunday mcnabb is benched and national writers are firing mcnabb and reid. On friday all of a sudden the eagles are superbowl contenders again and reid is the smartest guy ever for benching mcnabb.

I have a bad feeling if we dont get into the playoffs, Indy and NY are going to play and NY will win. I cant imagine what the media will be like in that scenario.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I love the setup for this game. I've found over the years that whatever the majority of media and fans are saying about a game, there's a good chance that the players are thinking at least a little of the same thing. And why not? Players are only people, and they do watch TV and read the papers.

And what's great is, the feeling seems to be that we're merely a Hollywood-style fraud of a team that is "soft" and is going to whimper like babies when we go into a cold Pittsburgh. From Ben's comments about Romo's girlfriend and lifestyle, I think the Steelers are thinking this will be a cakewalk.

Perfect.

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;2460833 said:
bingo.

Its about that time for philly to become the team no one can beat again also.

Just look at the coverage of philly a week ago. On sunday mcnabb is benched and national writers are firing mcnabb and reid. On friday all of a sudden the eagles are superbowl contenders again and reid is the smartest guy ever for benching mcnabb.

A good insight into their mindset can be got by listening to Kornheiser on Monday nights.

In many cases, they have no knowledge about what they're seeing, no particular insight that can be given about the game. Rather, they are just looking for a storyline - looking for a conclusion to jump to. Kornheiser's halftime "what are you writing about" is very revealing in that respect. Generally the common theme is "Such and such a team/player is done", "This coach has to be fired", etc.

It's more important to be loud and get a reaction to your strongly stated opinion than it is to offer any actual insight. I used to really love Inside the NFL, now it's basically the same thing. Half-assed analysis accompanied by outrageous commentary and minimal highlights.

I have a bad feeling if we dont get into the playoffs, Indy and NY are going to play and NY will win. I cant imagine what the media will be like in that scenario.
Manning vs. Manning?

Gag me with a spoon.

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2460839 said:
.....From Ben's comments about Romo's girlfriend and lifestyle, I think the Steelers are thinking this will be a cakewalk.

Perfect.
I think you are way off. The Steelers know this is one of the best teams they faced all year and for the first time they are healthy and starting to get things done right. I think they are looking forward to proving to themselves they deserve to go on into the playoffs as a force to be reckoned with. They need this win to shake that monkey off their back as much as Dallas needs it to stay alive!

To paraphrase a line from Clubber Lang in Rocky III - "I predict pain!"

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2460839 said:
I love the setup for this game. I've found over the years that whatever the majority of media and fans are saying about a game, there's a good chance that the players are thinking at least a little of the same thing. And why not? Players are only people, and they do watch TV and read the papers.

And what's great is, the feeling seems to be that we're merely a Hollywood-style fraud of a team that is "soft" and is going to whimper like babies when we go into a cold Pittsburgh. From Ben's comments about Romo's girlfriend and lifestyle, I think the Steelers are thinking this will be a cakewalk.

Perfect.

what did ben say. I must have missed that.

What leg does he have to stand on. He was the poster boy for nfl idiocy until the dog catcher was called on vick.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Silverback ate your QB;2460871 said:
I think you are way off. The Steelers know this is one of the best teams they faced all year and for the first time they are healthy and starting to get things done right. I think they are looking forward to proving to themselves they deserve to go on into the playoffs as a force to be reckoned with. They need this win to shake that monkey off their back as much as Dallas needs it to stay alive!

To paraphrase a line from Clubber Lang in Rocky III - "I predict pain!"

so, you disagree yet your response to a statement that everyone views dallas as a Hollywood softy and cant handle the big bad winter weather is to give an example of a mythical fighter who was perceived as the tough weathered street fighter vs the hollywood soft balboa?

Interesting.

oh and

At least I aint breathing heavy.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theebs;2460874 said:

What leg does he have to stand on. He was the poster boy for nfl idiocy until the dog catcher was called on vick.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08339/932641-66.stm

Big Ben doesn't envy Romo

Roethlisberger will face the Cowboys' Tony Romo for the first time at quarterback Sunday, but Romo did play when the Steelers last played the Cowboys and beat them, 34-20, in 2004 in Dallas. Romo was the holder on place-kicks that day.

Since then, Romo has dated singers Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson, and Roethlisberger yesterday was asked if he ever thought what it would be like to be in the shoes of the high-profile Cowboys quarterback.

"No I don't," he replied. "I don't mean this to sound rude: He is asking for it. Dating the high profile, doing all the stuff he wants to do. That's the life he chooses to live off the football field. That's his choice and that's why. It's what he chooses to do."

Safety Ryan Clark, asked about Romo's celebrity, said: "I stopped reading US Weekly and all that stuff, I felt kind of feminine, you know, so I really haven't been up on it. I do know he's an awesome quarterback. I don't know if he can sing."

Told his girlfriend Jessica Simpson could, Clark answered, "Can she?"

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
tomson75;2460884 said:
http://post-gazette.com/pg/08339/932641-66.stm

Big Ben doesn't envy Romo

Roethlisberger will face the Cowboys' Tony Romo for the first time at quarterback Sunday, but Romo did play when the Steelers last played the Cowboys and beat them, 34-20, in 2004 in Dallas. Romo was the holder on place-kicks that day.

Since then, Romo has dated singers Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson, and Roethlisberger yesterday was asked if he ever thought what it would be like to be in the shoes of the high-profile Cowboys quarterback.

"No I don't," he replied. "I don't mean this to sound rude: He is asking for it. Dating the high profile, doing all the stuff he wants to do. That's the life he chooses to live off the football field. That's his choice and that's why. It's what he chooses to do."

Safety Ryan Clark, asked about Romo's celebrity, said: "I stopped reading US Weekly and all that stuff, I felt kind of feminine, you know, so I really haven't been up on it. I do know he's an awesome quarterback. I don't know if he can sing."

Told his girlfriend Jessica Simpson could, Clark answered, "Can she?"

ouch.

Those guys are really riding high this week.

it will be interesting to see what they are saying and what there fans are saying if they need us to beat baltimore to help them win the divison or just get in the playoffs in 3 weeks.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2460874 said:

It was in the NFL Network footage that dcfanatic posted... They showed Romo and TO talking about what a tough game this would be and how we've got to be focused and how intent we are about this game, and then went to the Steelers locker room where Ben was talking about how Romo "brings this on himself" because he chooses to live that kind of lifestyle. Then McFadden (I think it was) went on about how Rooney was such a great owner who kept to himself while Jerry was a glamor owner who just tried to make money.

Starts at about the 3:52 mark.

[youtube]L_K0fk9WwIk[/youtube]

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
jack2;2460717 said:
Seems everywhere i read about sunday's game, will romo/dallas be destroyed by the steelers defense, after seeing the stats for both defenses, you find that dallas has allowed 2 more points per game than pittsburgh, we have 2 sacks less, and allowed exactly half the sacks that pittsburgh has 18 to 36 (only 9 for romo), so why all the negative headlines, seems to me that rothlesberger should be the one worrying!

Let them. The more they are against us, and not hyping us up, the better for our team. I'd rather we be the underdog with backs against the wall.

superpunk

Reaction score
One big thing we have going for us is that this is a big play offense, Ben hates to check down, and we don't give up many big plays.

Advantage: Dallas.

Also, look at what Philly did to these guys a few weeks ago. Our front seven is licking their chops, I do not doubt that.

Will probably be a low scoring affair.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2460812 said:
their d hasn't allowed 300 yards yet. that is absolutetly ridiculous. they deserve praise. they are also 1st in all categories.

When you play in an offensively challenged division, that stat doesn't seem so great.

Also...don't forget that this stat is deceiving. What if they turned the ball over on their side of the field and gave the opponent a short field to score? Doesn't show up as that many yards, but could result in a loss.

Also, what if their special teams is really lousy, and allows the opponent to start with a short field?

Just sayin'...sometimes numbers don't always show the whole truth.

Reaction score
theebs;2460883 said:
so, you disagree yet your response to a statement that everyone views dallas as a Hollywood softy and cant handle the big bad winter weather is to give an example of a mythical fighter who was perceived as the tough weathered street fighter vs the hollywood soft balboa?

Interesting.

oh and

At least I aint breathing heavy.

No, my response was to the comment I had quoted, this comment:
"I think the Steelers are thinking this will be a cakewalk.

Perfect.
"

To which I simply pointed to a more likely mindset in their locker room, that they know this will be a battle not a cakewalk and the quote from a fictional character was simply an illustration of what I think most players are expecting from this game.

I could give a rats *** about the media trying to extract some bulletin board material from a player in an interview and find it funny that some of you are trying so hard to find it too! Do the Cowboys need some mental stimulation to be able to get it up for this game or something?!?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Silverback ate your QB;2461143 said:
No, my response was to your comment:
"I think the Steelers are thinking this will be a cakewalk.

Perfect."

To which I simply pointed to a more likely mindset in their locker room, that they know this will be a battle not a cakewalk and the quote from a fictional character was simply an illustration of what I think most players are expecting from this game.

I could give a rats *** about the media trying to extract some bulletin board material from a player in an interview and find it funny that some of you are trying so hard to find it too! Do the Cowboys need some mental stimulation to be able to get it up for this game or something?!?

aint so bad
aint so bad
aint so bad

[youtube]I7krz_Krn4k&feature=related[/youtube]

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
superpunk;2460897 said:
One big thing we have going for us is that this is a big play offense, Ben hates to check down, and we don't give up many big plays.

Advantage: Dallas.

Also, look at what Philly did to these guys a few weeks ago. Our front seven is licking their chops, I do not doubt that.

Will probably be a low scoring affair.

A few weeks ago? It was an awful performance, sure, but that was in Week 3, haha.

superpunk

Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2461148 said:
A few weeks ago? It was an awful performance, sure, but that was in Week 3, haha.
Do we have to get stupid about what "a few weeks" could possibly mean?

I apologize in advance for not having the Steelers schedule and results memorized.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
tomson75;2460745 said:
Yep.

Pitt is #1 in the NFL having only allowed 14.2 ppg.
Dallas is #15 having allowed 21.7 ppg.

...but our defense has been playing very well as of late, and IIRC, there were MANY points scored that could easily be attributed to the offense when they were struggling.

PPG is so misleading b/c defensive and special teams TDs count there. Also, the Cowboys give up a ton of yards and points in garbage time. San Fran we gave up 9 points for all intents and purposes.

I think the best way to rate defenses would be yards given up per T.O.P. A defense that is on the field 40 minutes is going to give up way more than one that is on 20 (giants and rams games).

And I think drives that start inside your 20 shouldn't really count...whats a defense supposed to do.

Rating defenses is subjective, and these two are very close.

goshan

Reaction score
The cowboys and pitt D aren't 'very close'.
Wake up.
We should win because our offense is definitely superior.
But their D is clearly better.