Giants trade DT Snacks Harrison to Lions

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Giants going all in for Herbert, full tank mode.

Cant say I blame them though. Herbert, OBJ and Barkely with a solid TE in Engram could be tough to deal with down the road.

We going to have Wentz and Herbert in the division the next 10 years. Great!

Also good job by the Lions to fix this porous run defense.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You have to be pretty terrible to get back to back top 5 picks in a draft. That's Browns/Jags level play there, I don't think most people expected Giants to look THIS bad again. Bad Giants management will just end up making them look like geniuses.
Exactly

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With that said, they have a much better chance to contend because they have an actual football guy running things

Maybe, but I don't think it is a given. The Eagles won the Super Bowl and are run by a lawyer with no football background before going to work for the Eagles about 10-11 years ago and moving up the ladder. Of course, he is the same guy in charge through a lot of bad seasons dating back to when he became GM on 2010. The Saints are run by an accountant who worked his way up as a finance guy and rose to the GM level. Other teams are run by guys who were just business or sports management majors that weren't really football guys by background.

On the other hand, the predecessor to the Browns current general manager was a former NFL player who spent several years in the Chiefs front office before coming to Cleveland, and he failed miserably. There is no more of a football guy running a team than John Elway, and while he did help the team to great success 4 seasons ago, he is also the guy who has been in charge while the Broncos have fallen from bad to worse the last 3 years.

I don't say all this to prop Jerry - I don't at all think he is a good GM. I'm just saying that being a "football guy" isn't necessarily a guarantee of success.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can not be serious. The Browns scored 12 points the entire game. That game was on the Ravens Offense
They gave up 342 passing yards to Baker Mayfield and over 100 on the ground. They then allowed the same Rookie QB, not a proven commodity like Watson who happens to have a slew of offensive weapons, to march 65 yards down the field in OT to win the game. So yeah, by your definition, they are not a top 5 defense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
C’mon. He’ll be the projected #1 pick in a QB starved league. If the Giants have designs on him they’ll be letting his camp know now that they’re manoeuvring for the #1 pick.

You don’t risk another year of college if you’re the projected #1 pick.
And what if Gruden and the LV Raiders have the top pick?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
They gave up 342 passing yards to Baker Mayfield and over 100 on the ground. They then allowed the same Rookie QB, not a proven commodity like Watson who happens to have a slew of offensive weapons, to march 65 yards down the field in OT to win the game. So yeah, by your definition, they are not a top 5 defense.
12 points in 5 quarters.

Stop it

Manster68

Reaction score
It'll be nice not having to see that guy twice a year.

I almost feel bad for the Giants. Almost.
I don't recall anyone having sympathy for the Cowboys the years they went without Romo or Elliott. It is not even almost to me.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
same with Chucky
he's a genius now for trading Cooper and getting a #1 but doesn't seem that long ago he was a complete idiot for giving away Khalil Mack
it can be tough to know how brilliant people are from week to week if you don't stay plugged into social media

The thing about the Raiders moves is they are trading known players for 1st round picks that will be used on unknowns. The odds they will get a player as good or better than Mack is slim, and really the odds of getting one as good or better than Cooper isn't that great either. If either one of those picks busts or ends up with a merely average player, the Raiders will have lost on the trades.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
12 points in 5 quarters.

Stop it
Your original response stated
"A top 5 defense wouldve kept Deshaun Watson from going right down the field to win the game in overtime."

Yet you would argue that a "real" Top 5 defense like Baltimore would allow a lesser talented offensive team to do the same and yet they are still worthy of that ranking.

We gave up 7 points more to a much more explosive offense in Houston. Would you also wish to argue that the Browns have a better offense than the Texans?

Because right now, you're not making a lot of sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
The thing about the Raiders moves is they are trading known players for 1st round picks that will be used on unknowns. The odds they will get a player as good or better than Mack is slim, and really the odds of getting one as good or better than Cooper isn't that great either. If either one of those picks busts or ends up with a merely average player, the Raiders will have lost on the trades.
Using this type of thinking we'd have never made the Herschel Walker trade!!!!!!

Only way to really rebuild is to trade established vets for high draft picks. 3 first round picks next draft is nothing to sneeze at.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe, but I don't think it is a given. The Eagles won the Super Bowl and are run by a lawyer with no football background before going to work for the Eagles about 10-11 years ago and moving up the ladder. Of course, he is the same guy in charge through a lot of bad seasons dating back to when he became GM on 2010. The Saints are run by an accountant who worked his way up as a finance guy and rose to the GM level. Other teams are run by guys who were just business or sports management majors that weren't really football guys by background.

On the other hand, the predecessor to the Browns current general manager was a former NFL player who spent several years in the Chiefs front office before coming to Cleveland, and he failed miserably. There is no more of a football guy running a team than John Elway, and while he did help the team to great success 4 seasons ago, he is also the guy who has been in charge while the Broncos have fallen from bad to worse the last 3 years.

I don't say all this to prop Jerry - I don't at all think he is a good GM. I'm just saying that being a "football guy" isn't necessarily a guarantee of success.
Maybe, but does he study tape and evaluate? Jerry himself said he did not. Does he hire qualified personnel and let them make the decisions? Jerry does not.