Giants trade JPP to Bucs

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
We need a real GM.

usatsi_81231222.jpg

Stryker44

Reaction score
Huge mistake. The Giants get rid of a guy who cannot be blocked one on one and is a sack monster.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Still saved $2.5M on this year's cap and opened up $37M over the next 2 years.
Not really.
Saved 2.5M this year yes.
Next year the GTD money runs out and he was never seeing that 2020 payday.
Likely saved 2.5M this year and 14.5 in 2019. So saved 16M over 2 years for a plus starting DE.

They gave up a 3rd to save 2.5M this year and lose a Pro Bowl DE.
That's not good roster mgmt but it is the kind a team that is rebuilding does.
People applauding this are pretty stupid tbh.

IF they use the pick on Chubb he will now cost them that same 17M over 2 years.

So basically they gave up a top 4 pick plus a 3rd to flip from JPP to Chubb and beak even Salary cap wise.
Maybe they trade down a couple spots with QB starved team to recoup something... if not this is awful mgmt.

Keep in mind the Giants also have the ghost of Eli Mannign at starting QB... woof.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
That’s a great trade for giants. Pick up a 3rd and 4th for a guy who was at tail end of his career

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I don't see why they don't do it. You have two top 4 picks....why wouldn't you take Barkley first and then get your qb next?
Because Darnold is the best prospect. Yes, these are all 2nd round talents at Qb, I get that, but Darnold is the best pick by far. Yes, I know one or more of the others could turn out to be better, but you gotta draft w/ what you know. And CLEV needs a QB badly.

And w/ the way CLEV has been building their D, and w/ their multiple high draft picks this draft(two 1sts, three 2nds), they could become the next Jaguar's type team, and possibly even better if Darnold turns out.

Oh, and CLEV just traded for Carlos Hyde, so they've got their pounder already to pair w/ Duke Johnson. So, RB is very simply not a need at present.

Now, imagine CLEV adding a topflight player w/ the 4th pick, maybe Quentin Nelson or Bradley Chubb, and then dipping into a deep OT pool in the 2nd. Maybe McGlinchey slips there. And then possibly pass rushers and CB's.

Unless they get really stupid, CLEV should be a team on the rise.

kskboys

Reaction score
Chubb should go to Cleveland #1.
All this talk of Barkley #1 is crazy!! Cleveland is not one offensive playmaker away from being good. Take Chubb at 1, and let one of the QB's fall to you at 4.
Giants are probably clearing cap space for the crazy contract they have to give OBJ.
They might be. CLEV is stacked.

Darnold is by far the most pro ready.

ksg811

Reaction score
Not really.
Saved 2.5M this year yes.
Next year the GTD money runs out and he was never seeing that 2020 payday.
Likely saved 2.5M this year and 14.5 in 2019. So saved 16M over 2 years for a plus starting DE.

They gave up a 3rd to save 2.5M this year and lose a Pro Bowl DE.
That's not good roster mgmt but it is the kind a team that is rebuilding does.
People applauding this are pretty stupid tbh.

IF they use the pick on Chubb he will now cost them that same 17M over 2 years.

So basically they gave up a top 4 pick plus a 3rd to flip from JPP to Chubb and beak even Salary cap wise.
Maybe they trade down a couple spots with QB starved team to recoup something... if not this is awful mgmt.

Keep in mind the Giants also have the ghost of Eli Mannign at starting QB... woof.

He didn't have any new gtd money but still had prorated signing bonus money accounting for $5M each year. Cutting him next year would've still added $10M in dead money, saving $9.5M and $17.5M over the next 2 years, or $10M less than doing it now.

kskboys

Reaction score
i think the browns will draft rosen number one then the giants will take chubb the jets will take a qb and brown will come back and take barkley
Why? All signs point toward Darnold, even to the point of Hue getting chummy w/ him at his pro day. What signs have you seen that make you think they'll take Rosen over Darnold?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That’s a great trade for giants. Pick up a 3rd and 4th for a guy who was at tail end of his career
No, it's not.
They gave up a guy who was better in 2017 than when they gave him that massive deal.
Eat 15m in dead money.
Gave up the very early 4th in deal. So recoup mid-3rd round value for a very useful player.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They picked up a third but dropped down in the 4th round. They swapped fourths with Tampa... so they gave up more in that round than they got.

mardwin

Reaction score
Lol! The notion that Jerry wants credit for the Hershel Walker deal blows my mind. The only credit he should be getting is for blowing three 1st round picks on Joey Galloway and Roy Williams (WR).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He didn't have any new gtd money but still had prorated signing bonus money accounting for $5M each year. Cutting him next year would've still added $10M in dead money, saving $9.5M and $17.5M over the next 2 years, or $10M less than doing it now.
His GTD money was this year's base. It fully GTD 3-18.
They could have cut him in 2020 as a post June 1st cut for next to nothing(2.5M) and freed up virtually all the 2020 base.

And they'd have had him one more year.

He was traded for peanuts because they overpaid last year.
They basically ate that over-payment because they are rebuilding.
But JPP is worth more then a mid 3.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lol! The notion that Jerry wants credit for the Hershel Walker deal blows my mind. The only credit he should be getting is for blowing three 1st round picks on Joey Galloway and Roy Williams (WR).
Jerry wants credit for Herschel deal because he's the one who told Jimmy to trade him.
Said there was no way in Hades he was paying Walker QB money.
Jimmy of course did all the actual work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry wants credit for Herschel deal because he's the one who told Jimmy to trade him.
Said there was no way in Hades he was paying Walker QB money.
Jimmy of course did all the actual work.
Its fair to say both guys had huge ego's and BOTH had equal flaws. They made amends with one another..all this talk is water under the bridge to both.Its just good fodder for us fans to talk about.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This move would be equivalent to Dallas trading DLaw for a 3rd round pick.
We'd lose our best DE and pass rusher but we'd gain 17m in cap space.
And we'd actually eat zero dead money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because Darnold is the best prospect. Yes, these are all 2nd round talents at Qb, I get that, but Darnold is the best pick by far. Yes, I know one or more of the others could turn out to be better, but you gotta draft w/ what you know. And CLEV needs a QB badly.

And w/ the way CLEV has been building their D, and w/ their multiple high draft picks this draft(two 1sts, three 2nds), they could become the next Jaguar's type team, and possibly even better if Darnold turns out.

Oh, and CLEV just traded for Carlos Hyde, so they've got their pounder already to pair w/ Duke Johnson. So, RB is very simply not a need at present.

Now, imagine CLEV adding a topflight player w/ the 4th pick, maybe Quentin Nelson or Bradley Chubb, and then dipping into a deep OT pool in the 2nd. Maybe McGlinchey slips there. And then possibly pass rushers and CB's.

Unless they get really stupid, CLEV should be a team on the rise.
Ehh...Carlos and Duke ain't no Barkley. Barkley will make his impact immediately. I don't like any of these quarterbacks. I think all are in the same class. I wouldn't even take a quarterback in the first if I were them.