Gift from the Football gods

dckid

Reaction score
Guys & Gals,
Why can't the Cowboys just deal with the situation at hand?
Through the first 5 games it is obviously clear as the nose on our faces that this team cannot compete for any playoff success.
We have lost three offensive lineman, Starting franchise QB, Two D tackles. Over the next 5 years we will probably not have a better opportunity to tank than 2020.
As much as i despise Jerry and his terrible culture and organization. I just have no hope of that changing.
Let's not screw up a top 5 pick. Even if we don't get Lawrence, we can still get Herbert or Tua.
The smart thing to do is move away from Dak, I think he is a great QB, leader, all of the above. He has really improved over the past 5 years. He went from a single read dink and dunker to a much better QB.
I would really consider trading Gallup and or Cooper. Cooper will be much tougher to trade because of the salary hit to the cap but if we have the space it might be worth it.
I would trade Gallup to the Chiefs, as Watkins is hurt and if he wasn't they need an additional playmaker. Who cares if the Chiefs win another SB, lets try to get an additional 1st round pick. I think Andy would love to add Gallup. In all honesty we cannot resign Gallup with already paying Cooper and drafting Cee Dee Lamb paying him a first round salary.
There is no shame in going 3-13 and rebuilding and resetting. Let Moore have more reps, get a new D coordinator.
Figure out what to do with Aldon Smith.
There is no point trying to go 7-9 and win the division, there is no benefit at all.

Aftershock

Reaction score
607fe538-3299-40e7-874f-cd1a07534a12-AP_Falcons_Cowboys_Football_2.jpg

This man will take us to the NFCCG

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Tanking pretty much never works.

It did pay off pretty well for Dallas in 1989 (Troy Aikman,) the Colts in 1998 (Peyton Manning,) etc.

But for every Peyton or Aikman you get a JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf.

Bigdog

Reaction score
First of all we can not get Tua or Herbert in the 2020 draft since they have already been drafted in the 2019 draft and Herbert is doing pretty good as the starter for the Chargers. Tua went to the Dolphins. Second, Gallup is playing pretty well and has 2 more years I believe on his rookie contract which is about the same time we can release Cooper if we want to without any major cap ramifications, I believe.

dckid

Reaction score
It did pay off pretty well for Dallas in 1989 (Troy Aikman,) the Colts in 1998 (Peyton Manning,) etc.

But for every Peyton or Aikman you get a JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf.
Yeah but the opportunity to get a franchise QB is worth it.
Maybe we can get the next Myles Garrett or Bosa or great OT.
What will a sub .500 division title get us?

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't get all the "we can't sign Gallup" hand wringing.

Gallup is signed through the 2021 season. In the same off season we could cut Cooper before Jun 1st and save $16 million against the cap. If they designate Cooper as a post Jun 1st cut, that jumps up to $20 million.

Sooooo .... IF the Cowboys decide they can only keep one or another, the I'm sure they keep Gallup who is clutch and seemingly always available.
Then add Lamb to be the de-facto #1, I think that makes more sense IF the Cowboys must let one of our Big 3 go.

JMHO

EndGame

Reaction score
The problem with tanking is that the players don't tend to go along with it. In the NFL, with most contracts not fully guaranteed, players know they are always playing for their next payday. Add in guys who KNOW they're in a contract year, like Awuzie, Andy Dalton, and Anthony Brown, and you'll have a bunch of guys out there trying really hard no matter what the club would prefer. It's likely the team will screw up and win too many games for a top 10 pick. There's just too much talent on the team for that.

JayFord

Reaction score
You dont tank when youre first in a crap division the goal is superbowl

TheViper7

Reaction score
How do you not know Herbert and Tua are already rookies in the NFL? Sorry, thats all i got from that post

dckid

Reaction score
First of all we can not get Tua or Herbert in the 2020 draft since they have already been drafted in the 2019 draft and Herbert is doing pretty good as the starter for the Chargers. Tua went to the Dolphins. Second, Gallup is playing pretty well and has 2 more years I believe on his rookie contract which is about the same time we can release Cooper if we want to without any major cap ramifications, I believe.
Bigdog, don’t take my comment 100% literal. Nowadays there are At least 2 good qb’s available very early in the draft. Try to get one at a good fixed cost for the next 5 years.

dckid

Reaction score
How do you not know Herbert and Tua are already rookies in the NFL? Sorry, thats all i got from that post
Guys I meant the next Herbert or Tua or whoever.
Next year is not just about Lawrence..

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tanking pretty much never works.
Totally agree. Look at the recent examples of teams who made tanking a plan:
  • The Philadelphia 76ers- they tanked for 3-4 straight years, and although they got better through having multiple high draft picks, they’ve also wasted several of those picks, and it has translated so far into winning one first round playoff series.
  • Cleveland Browns- for 5 straight seasons, the brownies were terrible- 2015-2019, specifically. And with all those high draft picks, they still haven’t even had a winning season after those 5 years, much less make the playoffs. That may change this year...maybe.
I don’t have time to research all the others. But tanking only guarantees draft status. It clearly does not guarantee success. And worse, I think it poisons a culture with the curse of being a loser. Plus with our front office, we are certain they can transform a roster through tanking? After the last 25 years, I’m skeptical.

Count me as guy who always wants to win. Tanking is for losers.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we will win 2-3 more games this year. Even with Dak we were slated to win only 6-7. We are horse poop on defense and need a rebuild on that side of the ball.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we need to trade a player at the deadline and begin stockpiling draft picks. I would start by trading Woods. He simply has been crap. I then would look at trading a guy like L. Collins. Jets wanted him last year and I see no reason why they would trade for him now...hurt or not. I think those 2 guys are trades we can make happen. Just start building up our draft picks for 2021. We need a ton of players on D.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Guys & Gals,
Why can't the Cowboys just deal with the situation at hand?
Through the first 5 games it is obviously clear as the nose on our faces that this team cannot compete for any playoff success.
We have lost three offensive lineman, Starting franchise QB, Two D tackles. Over the next 5 years we will probably not have a better opportunity to tank than 2020.
As much as i despise Jerry and his terrible culture and organization. I just have no hope of that changing.
Let's not screw up a top 5 pick. Even if we don't get Lawrence, we can still get Herbert or Tua.
The smart thing to do is move away from Dak, I think he is a great QB, leader, all of the above. He has really improved over the past 5 years. He went from a single read dink and dunker to a much better QB.
I would really consider trading Gallup and or Cooper. Cooper will be much tougher to trade because of the salary hit to the cap but if we have the space it might be worth it.
I would trade Gallup to the Chiefs, as Watkins is hurt and if he wasn't they need an additional playmaker. Who cares if the Chiefs win another SB, lets try to get an additional 1st round pick. I think Andy would love to add Gallup. In all honesty we cannot resign Gallup with already paying Cooper and drafting Cee Dee Lamb paying him a first round salary.
There is no shame in going 3-13 and rebuilding and resetting. Let Moore have more reps, get a new D coordinator.
Figure out what to do with Aldon Smith.
There is no point trying to go 7-9 and win the division, there is no benefit at all.
I agree w your premise for the most part....

And thanks for despising Jerry. Any help there is appreciated.

Tanking isnt really a thing you decide to do as an organization. It just cant be done. Not mid season anyway when you have some good players.

As far as dealing a guy like Cooper, and this just isn't fairly constructed....the dead money thing would be something they couldn't absorb.

That situation is in place for a reason, and if a player is traded as opposed to cut, it doesnt really circumvent that circumstance, so it shouldn't be that way, but it is for some reason...and it is what it is.

Theres no way to not have him on the team for this year and next that would be worth the flip side.

Gallup is different and can be moved, but you're talking to the wrong guy on that one... as I'm wishing desperately for a Lamb/Gallup combo for years to come.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Bigdog, don’t take my comment 100% literal. Nowadays there are At least 2 good qb’s available very early in the draft. Try to get one at a good fixed cost for the next 5 years.
My bad I thought you were talking about Tua and Herbert. I really don't see a qb worth drafting in next years draft who is a good as they are and the only one that I would entertain in drafting is Lawrence but we won't have a shot at him unless something drastically happens. I think Dalton can play good enough for us to win the division. It is early though regarding the draft though so some qbs could make a strong push for 1st round consideration.