Gilbert working to remain Cowboys' No. 2 QB

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It is Gilberts job to go out and win the job. Basing everything on 1 game last season in which we lost is not going to seal the job for him. I wish him the best as I do any other QB competing for the job.

stinkface

Reaction score
Cooper has never ever shown much. Gilbert at least seems to look the part.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I liked Gilbert, the guy hardly had any chance to practice. Looked better than Dalton to me... just one game but I saw enough. I think he has a gun...

He showed some good things in his limited time. I think he can develop into a good #2. Denucci blew ***. Him and Rush are not NFL backups.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
FAT MIKE don't want Gilbert???? Why the h e double hockey sticks not?? He looked like an all-pro starter against Pittsburgh!!!! I hate our coach too. My last choice - another YES Man doing JErry's bidding.
Let Gilbert earn that spot in camp and he will!!!!!!! I HATE THIS TEAM'S FO. How did Dalton work out for you clowns eh. :eek:
JErry only plays the highest paid player regardless of talent. "uuuhh eeerrrr it's my money and I want my moneys worthj eerr ukkkkk...hiccup!!!!
You hate everything so what's new?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys had an excellent opportunity to give him some valuable game experience last season to determine if he could be a viable #2. That opportunity was wasted on a QB the team knew we couldn't win with and knew wasn't in the 2021 plans. No forward thinking from this team ever.

conner01

Reaction score
FAT MIKE don't want Gilbert???? Why the h e double hockey sticks not?? He looked like an all-pro starter against Pittsburgh!!!! I hate our coach too. My last choice - another YES Man doing JErry's bidding.
Let Gilbert earn that spot in camp and he will!!!!!!! I HATE THIS TEAM'S FO. How did Dalton work out for you clowns eh. :eek:
JErry only plays the highest paid player regardless of talent. "uuuhh eeerrrr it's my money and I want my moneys worthj eerr ukkkkk...hiccup!!!!
55% comp
1 td 1 int
Hardly all pro

conner01

Reaction score
It is Gilberts job to go out and win the job. Basing everything on 1 game last season in which we lost is not going to seal the job for him. I wish him the best as I do any other QB competing for the job.
The loss doesn’t really reflect on how well or not he played
He played a decent game
But some over rate a game a QB completed 54% of passes with one td and one int
We should have gotten him more snaps but that’s history
He’s been around many training camps in his career so I would have expected him to be half way decent
He’d only thrown 6 passes in nfl games but he’s been on many rosters so he’s been around, practiced and played some pre season football
At this point I’d say the odds of him being the backup are slim but it’s his to take. But he’s gonna have to have a very good camp

conner01

Reaction score
Cowboys had an excellent opportunity to give him some valuable game experience last season to determine if he could be a viable #2. That opportunity was wasted on a QB the team knew we couldn't win with and knew wasn't in the 2021 plans. No forward thinking from this team ever.
Exactly
A real missed opportunity
Gilbert has been around the league, been to training camp and around the league long enough to be what he’s gonna be. We missed a chance to see if that is a nfl backup

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gilbert had a good game, without question, but a good game for a backup. He didn't look remotely All-Pro. That's a huge exaggeration.

I think fans were excited that he did as well as he did relative to the very low expectations they had for him, and that has resulted in their minds exaggerating what they saw.

Why trash talk Dalton? He also did a good job - for a backup - and maybe even for a lower end starter. Let's not allow Garrett's better than expected performance to mislead us into believing Garrett is a better player than Dalton. Believe it or not, there is a reason Dalton started for 9 years and Garrett has struggled for almost as long to just try and make practice squads.

But, we don't have Dalton to be the backup this year, so Gilbert is in the mix. And I'm okay with that. But if there are options we should look at them as well, and not pretend that 1 better than expected game out of 7 years elevated Gilbert into top tier backup status.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He played a decent game
He’s been around many training camps in his career so I would have expected him to be half way decent
He’d only thrown 6 passes in nfl games but he’s been on many rosters so he’s been around, practiced and played some pre season football
At this point I’d say the odds of him being the backup are slim but it’s his to take. But he’s gonna have to have a very good camp

Let me say I think he showed enough last year to deserve the chance to compete for the job. I like him and all in all felt he did a decent job in the Pitt game, when you factor in the little time he was even on the team then forced into action along with stepping into a situation with a beat up offensive line in front of him, he did better than I thought he would. If I had to say who is the front runner for the backup job it would be Gilbert but I'm very much in favor of bringing in QB's and the existing QB and have them compete for the job.

fivetwos

Reaction score
All these guys are just passing the time until “the Nuch” gets some experience and starts his journey to the ring of honor...
It would be in the best interest of everyone involved if Mr DiNucci were to find himself in a position to be considered for the ROH.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not sure anything better is out there........may as well let him and Rush duke it out. Just me, but I have more confidence in Rush. He knows this offense like the back of his hand.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...orking-to-remain-as-cowboys-no-2-quarterback/

Garrett Gilbert working to remain as Cowboys’ No. 2 quarterback
Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2021, 7:51 PM EDT

The Cowboys have had veteran quarterbacks Jeff Driskel and Brett Hundley visit recently. It’s obvious Mike McCarthy would prefer a veteran quarterback behind Dak Prescott.

Dallas signed Andy Dalton last offseason, and Prescott missed 11 games with his right ankle injury.

The Cowboys, though, didn’t sign Driskel or Hundley, and Driskel since has signed with the Texans.

That leaves the team with Garrett Gilbert, Cooper Rush and Ben DiNucci behind Prescott. Those three have combined for two career starts. DiNucci and Gilbert each started a game for the Cowboys last season, their first career starts, and Rush has three career attempts.
Like Gilbert based on the Squealers game.
But that admittedly is a very small sample size

conner01

Reaction score
Let me say I think he showed enough last year to deserve the chance to compete for the job. I like him and all in all felt he did a decent job in the Pitt game, when you factor in the little time he was even on the team then forced into action along with stepping into a situation with a beat up offensive line in front of him, he did better than I thought he would. If I had to say who is the front runner for the backup job it would be Gilbert but I'm very much in favor of bringing in QB's and the existing QB and have them compete for the job.
He earned a shot
He should have got it to finish the season last year
But he will get a shot and I think it’s really between him and a yet to be named vet
I don’t think rush is any better than Gilbert

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He earned a shot
He should have got it to finish the season last year
But he will get a shot and I think it’s really between him and a yet to be named vet
I don’t think rush is any better than Gilbert

I agree. I think this is pretty much it for Rush, he either steps up this camp or he is gone. DiNucci I think has to work and show something just to make PS.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree. I think this is pretty much it for Rush, he either steps up this camp or he is gone. DiNucci I think has to work and show something just to make PS.
I think he will be on PS
They know he has talent but never had a camp or much even practice snaps
They drafted him because they knew he’d be hard to get as a UDFA
Don’t see them giving up after what last year was

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not sure anything better is out there........may as well let him and Rush duke it out. Just me, but I have more confidence in Rush. He knows this offense like the back of his hand.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...orking-to-remain-as-cowboys-no-2-quarterback/

Garrett Gilbert working to remain as Cowboys’ No. 2 quarterback
Posted by Charean Williams on May 26, 2021, 7:51 PM EDT

The Cowboys have had veteran quarterbacks Jeff Driskel and Brett Hundley visit recently. It’s obvious Mike McCarthy would prefer a veteran quarterback behind Dak Prescott.

Dallas signed Andy Dalton last offseason, and Prescott missed 11 games with his right ankle injury.

The Cowboys, though, didn’t sign Driskel or Hundley, and Driskel since has signed with the Texans.

That leaves the team with Garrett Gilbert, Cooper Rush and Ben DiNucci behind Prescott. Those three have combined for two career starts. DiNucci and Gilbert each started a game for the Cowboys last season, their first career starts, and Rush has three career attempts.
I prefer Rush

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
He played a decent game
I think people overrate his performance for a couple of reasons:

1. Andy Dalton and Ben DeNucci played terrible in the weeks prior to the Steelers game
2. The expectation was for him to play just as bad but he exceeded extremely low expectations.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I want the team to play the backup QB in a real game, if possible. If the team gets a comfortable lead, I want the backup guy in for experience. It's a little more dicey if it's the opposite, if we're getting blown out. The starter gets pulled, he's likely to see it as a slight. Sometimes I wish it were more like hockey where if a goalie is having an off night, it's just expected that he be pulled to spare him any more embarrassment. Sometimes a player just has an off day. But definitely put in the backup if we're way ahead.