Gill Brandt: Keep an eye on two important numbers at combines

kskboys

Reaction score
I always just look for the best players that have the highest 40 time and vertical leap.

If they were good in college and they have fast 40 and good vertical then that usually a good sign.
I don't think that's a very accurate way to grade players.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think that's a very accurate way to grade players.

The first criteria for me is are they a good player.

Then is their size prototype.

Then at just about every position besides QB and Oline I think the 40 and vertical are great tools for potential upside because they measure explosiveness better then anything else.

cristglo

Reaction score
I think with each position it differs with me. with OL and DL I really dont care what the 40 is but I care what the 10 is i want to see with DL do they have that quick first step.
CB i want to see the Broad jump vertical and 40 but I really pay attention to their hips. Can they move in and out of those moves smoothly
WR I look at their hands do they body catch or do they hand catch. Then there is their routes looking back at college tapes do they know the route tree. Its not always about speed can they catch can they get open.
When I look at TE I want a TE that can Block and catch is he afraid to go down the middle and open it up.
OL feet do the type it or stumble it.
I personally like OL and DL to have good reps when lifting. It always puzzles me when some players come in and only can lift 8 times.