Give Dak $20 million per year and make the rest incentives

plasticman

Reaction score
This reminds me of a conversation Jerry and Stephen might have had shortly after the 2016 draft if Dak's contract had been an issue:

Stephen: "Dad, I heard from Dak's agent. You wouldn't believe this but he is actually contesting our offer."

Jerry: "Really? Well, what does he want?"

Stephen: "Are you ready for this? He is actually willing to take less if you consider certain incentives"

Jerry: "What! Is he insane? What kind of incentives?"

Stephen: (Chuckling) "He wants a bonus of five million for each season that Dak is the starter for three fourths of the season."

Jerry: (Laughing): "Dak is going to be our third option if he even makes the team. We have one of the most prolific passers in history with a stacked offense. Most likely we put him on the practice squad.....tell this fool we will give the 4th round pick 10 million for each season he starts all 16 games. I mean, what the heck!"

Stephen; (Laughing even louder) "Wait! it gets better! He wants another five million a year if he starts and has double digit wins! And another five million if.....if.....hold on.....if he makes the Pro Bowl"

Jerry: (now laughing hysterically) "Stop it! You're killing me! Wait!....Hey, tell him if he scraps Dak's base salary I will give Dak ten million dollars for every playoff game he starts and five million more if we wins."

Stephen" (Rolling around on the floor) "Help! I can't breathe! I got one, I got one! We give him ten million if he breaks Brady's record for most pass attempts before first interception!"

Jerry (Snot coming out of his nose) "Good one! Good one! Before we report poor Dak's agent to the NFL front office.....or state hospital...,how about we.....let's see,what would be the most ridiculous?......okay.....at the end of the contract, if Dak is a top five in wins, game winning drives, and 4th quarter comebacks......we pay him a super bonus of 25 million?"

(Jerry looks at Stephen. Stephen looks at Jerry. Suddenly they burst into simultaneous laughter)

Stephen:" Whoo! Dang, dad, you just spent about 150 million dollars.....watch out!"

Jerry: "Uh huh, yeah!......Well......seriously.....let's get back to work......biggest laugh Ive had since Mike Lynn told me we had a deal...."

An incentive laden contract for Dak's next 4-5 seasons sounds like a great idea in favor of Jerry.........today.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think most here expect to see Dak go anywhere. He's smart enough to know he is the luckiest man in football to be the Cowboys quarterback.
But he's just not ready for big money, and perhaps by incentivizing his contract, he can get the big money while getting better. He deserves more than he's been paid, but he's just not at the point at which he deserves to automatically receive the big money when he has failed to deliver so often.
SO, guarantee him $20 million per year for two years, and give him an additional $5 million for winning the division. Give him an additional $2 million for each playoff win if he starts and wins. And $6 million if he wins the Super Bowl as the starter.
Dak seems to believe that he is entitled to a huge contract, but he hasn't earned one.
I just think it's only fair that he be given the opportunity to earn what he's asking for while showing us that he isn't out for a free ride.
This would eliminate the statistical battle, and put the onus on him to deliver.
I think it's fair.
”Hey Dak, we’ve got an offer we think you’re going to love! We’ll pay you less money than we’ve already offered, but if you hit all the incentives and the team wins the Super Bowl, we’ll, um, still pay you less than we’ve already offered! Sign right here!”

leeblair

Reaction score
”Hey Dak, we’ve got an offer we think you’re going to love! We’ll pay you less money than we’ve already offered, but if you hit all the incentives and the team wins the Super Bowl, we’ll, um, still pay you less than we’ve already offered! Sign right here!”
Dak's not worth $30 million plus per year- period.
For that kind of money the Cowboys could have a quarterback who actually tries to make his team better.
Anyone who could root for Dak to get a huge contract after the way he choked last season isn't a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
For that kind of money the Cowboys could have a quarterback who actually tries to make his team better.
Anyone who could root for Dak to get a huge contract after the way he choked last season isn't a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

Dak is at most 4th most responsible behind coaching decision , defense, and special teams.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
I don't think most here expect to see Dak go anywhere. He's smart enough to know he is the luckiest man in football to be the Cowboys quarterback.
But he's just not ready for big money, and perhaps by incentivizing his contract, he can get the big money while getting better. He deserves more than he's been paid, but he's just not at the point at which he deserves to automatically receive the big money when he has failed to deliver so often.
SO, guarantee him $20 million per year for two years, and give him an additional $5 million for winning the division. Give him an additional $2 million for each playoff win if he starts and wins. And $6 million if he wins the Super Bowl as the starter.
Dak seems to believe that he is entitled to a huge contract, but he hasn't earned one.
I just think it's only fair that he be given the opportunity to earn what he's asking for while showing us that he isn't out for a free ride.
This would eliminate the statistical battle, and put the onus on him to deliver.
I think it's fair.

lol.
this isn't how it works.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If the reports are true that Dak was offered 5 years over 100 million guaranteed, I don’t see how can reject that contract and play on a one year tag. That is financial suicide. With caronaviris and the reality that teams have their quarterbacks, Dak needs to be careful. Plus at least 3 good prospects coming out next season. I don’t blame the Joneses on this one. I would not budge either.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has...nothing to do with what I wrote (and nothing to do with your original post). I also really love when people appoint themselves the arbiters of who is and isn't a fan. I just count myself lucky that you're not the team's GM.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is at most 4th most responsible behind coaching decision , defense, and special teams.

This and leeblair's post about chocking are both valid.

However, how do you propose to improve the defence and special teams if Dak wants a short $35/$38m contract??

This would leave nothing left in Cap space for the next two seasons.

This the reason why JJ wants a longer contract, so that the money is spread and resources still available for other needs.

Dak (it appears), wants BOTH:

1) Highest paid contract AND
2) Wants a short contract so he can hit Free Agency to benefit from Mahomes resetting of the QB market.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry has made billions over the last 24 years - did he earn it? What has he won? What has his team accomplished?

Players make a fraction of what owners make and their careers are much shorter. That they should make even less and "earn" everything else is couch potato logic.
I think your the one using couch potato logic lol
If you work for a company that makes billion a year, that doesnt mean they are gonna pay you a million
per year lol.
they are going to pay you market price for whatever it is you do and no more.
business owners all of them make all the money and pay employees what they have to and no more.
They keep all the profits and money for themselves.

And it isnt even about that, it is about the salary cap, a allotted amount each year that they can spend
on employees.
So they are limited by that, if one player is paid 20 mil that is 20 mil less they have to pay other players.

The qb position is the one position that is just out of control as far as how much they make under the cap.
The other players get screwed just so a few stars get all the money as it is now.

Dak is one of those they got paid peanuts, so I am for him getting paid, but he is asking for too much
of a limited pie.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This and leeblair's post about chocking are both valid.

However, how do you propose to improve the defence and special teams if Dak wants a short $35/$38m contract??

This would leave nothing left in Cap space for the next two seasons.

This the reason why JJ wants a longer contract, so that the money is spread and resources still available for other needs.

Dak (it appears), wants BOTH:

1) Highest paid contract AND
2) Wants a short contract so he can hit Free Agency to benefit from Mahomes resetting of the QB market.
true and that is why they should let him walk or just play this year on the tag.
Dak wants too much, and they should invest in defense and get a young qb in next years draft.

with the offense they have, dalton and dinucci is who I would roll with.
Dak is good and deserves a big payday, but he wants too much, more than he is worth.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I think it's fair.
Great idea!!! I'm sure his agent will have him sign that deal immediately.