Give Dak a nonexclusive franchise tag

Proof

Reaction score
Didn't Drew Brees have a major injury before leaving the Chargers and signing with the Saints as a free agent? Brees signed a pretty big contract. In the NBA Kevin Durant signed a max contract with the Nets coming off of an Achilles tear (much more severe than Dak's injury).

yeah but he already told you.

Steve007

Reaction score
So... you think some team would give up 2 firsts for Dak …? :huh:
No I don't think a team will give up 2 first for Dak, but you never know. I thought the Bears were crazy trading up to draft Trubisky. With the non exclusive tag he will find out he wont get the contract he wants.

Steve007

Reaction score
If the team is bad with all the savings from the rookie contract, why is the concern that the team is going to be bad with him on a big contract?

Lol such dumb logic.
It's dumb logic to think that paying Dak a ton of money will make them better.

lukin2006

Reaction score
You can only get a deal if both parties are willing...I see no indication that Prescott is willing. Time to move on from this greedy jerk...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's weird! The Cowboys' FO won't take any chance of losing him but don't wanna sign him, either!
Gotta wonder if they're too paralyzed to make a decision or just being cagy. It's just puzzling!:huh:

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I have been against the nonexclusive tag but now I think it might be the best decision. Having Dak play on the 2nd tag and then leave for a comp pick is a disaster. The Cowboys should have paid him last year and the year before, but as things stand now the Cowboys may have priced themselves out. I was concerned about this when a deal didn't get done last year, that the price would only get higher and the Cowboys wouldn't be willing to pay. No one really knows Dak's demands at this point but if Dak is set on a 3-year deal it will be hard to make that contract workable. The Cowboys are possibly in a situation where they have already wrecked the car, and all they can do is salvage it for parts. Potentially getting two 1st round picks is a lot better than Dak walking and only getting a 3rd round comp pick.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We could get lucky and receive 2 first round picks for him. The Colts traded for Wentz so they're out of the running. The Saints don't have enough cap room. Maybe a team like the Panthers (8th pick), Jets (2nd pick), or Broncos (9th pick) sign him.

Bravo! Take what we can for Dak!
But ... Why would the jets pay 30m for a pedestrian QB when they can pick Trevor Lawrence or Zack Wilson by the 2nd pick and for s rookie salary?
Why?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I don't think a team will give up 2 first for Dak, but you never know. I thought the Bears were crazy trading up to draft Trubisky. With the non exclusive tag he will find out he wont get the contract he wants.
I was just poking a little fun at the language - "I don't think no team", which would actually equate to believing a team would do it.

But I will say that he likely wouldn't get the contract he wants on a non-exclusive tag because the team would also have to give up those 2 first round picks on top of the contract. That means Dak wouldn't be negotiating a deal under the same circumstances as if he were negotiating on the open market with no strings attached. Not many QB's would be able to get what they want under the non exclusive tag.