Give me a reason why YOU think Garrett is the answer at head coach?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
dre1614;2334758 said:
Do you think Mike Shanahan is smart?

yep, he has a 1000 yard rusher every year, to where we don't even know the RBs name...... So yes he is smart.........

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Always liked Garrett.

Think he will make a better head coach than assistant ..... like Jimmy Johnson.

btcutter

Reaction score
dre1614;2334773 said:
that was actually a good play call. Romo is at his best throwing on the run, and down the sidelines.

it was an OK call. However I don't think tony throw better on roll out to his right. He is best when throwing when scrambling. But he's even better throwing when he rolls or scrambles to his left. Against AZ yesterday and against gmen last year, he scrambles to the left and hits Witten down the middle.

Ps. Rewatch the last pass to Withen to set up the FG. TO was stealing down the sideline with his man beat by at least 3 steps. Wish tony would have seen him and hit TO for game winning TD.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbailey423;2334687 said:
Because he seems very green to me. He has been outcoached a LOT lately. Just because Jerry pays him a lot of money and thinks he is "the smartest man in the room" That does not mean he is the head coach this team needs. Right now Wade does not NEED to be looking over his shoulder. Right now Garret needs to figure out how to make the no name WRs we have on this team more productive. There are teams LEAGUE wide who find ways to be productive without a talent like TO. The fact that we have TO on this team should make Garrets job easier. Especially after last year when he showed the inability to construct an offense when TO got hurt.

What I am trying to say is Garrett needs to do his curent job better....not be rewarded with the head coaching position in Dallas for a job NOT well done!

I admittedly was ready to anoint Garrett as HC going into this year. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. He definitely needs more seasoning at the OC spot before trying to tackle HC.

Woods

Reaction score
Personally, I think Garrett WILL be our next HC. Probably next year, in fact, as we break in our new stadium.

How successful with Garrett be as a HC? I have no idea.

If you believe guys like Aikman, Garrett was meant to be a HC.

But I think it's pretty much a done deal that unless Garrett really screws up, that he will be given a shot as our new HC.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
zrinkill;2334933 said:
Always liked Garrett.

Think he will make a better head coach than assistant ..... like Jimmy Johnson.
He does seem like a big-picture type of guy.

Ray Sherman promoted to OC next year imo.

Dodger12

Reaction score
bbailey423;2334687 said:
Because he seems very green to me. He has been outcoached a LOT lately. Just because Jerry pays him a lot of money and thinks he is "the smartest man in the room" That does not mean he is the head coach this team needs. Right now Wade does not NEED to be looking over his shoulder. Right now Garret needs to figure out how to make the no name WRs we have on this team more productive. There are teams LEAGUE wide who find ways to be productive without a talent like TO. The fact that we have TO on this team should make Garrets job easier. Especially after last year when he showed the inability to construct an offense when TO got hurt.

What I am trying to say is Garrett needs to do his curent job better....not be rewarded with the head coaching position in Dallas for a job NOT well done!

Wade's been looking over his shoulder the day he took the job and didn't have the spine to insist on hiring his coordinators. The spotlight got brighter when Garrett became the higest paid OC in the NFL. When your staff is more loyal to the owner, as opposed to the HC, you've got problems when the going gets tough (which will happen in every season). But Wade took the same awe shucks/laid back approach to Jerry back then so, in some respects, while I like Wade, I feel little sympathy for his current plight.

JG is the next coach and I like it for a couple of reasons:

First, he's been coached by Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. In that sense, he's seen the pluses and minues in the locker room from a player's perspective relative to the importance of the coach. He's played under both a disciplinarian and "loose" coach who let his players run the asylum, fracture the team and destroy a dynasty.

Second, he's been part of a winning program/dynasty and was a student of the game. Simply put, the guy knows how to win and what it takes to win. I also think the guy knows what type of player would fit for his team and he has Jerry's ear and respect come draft day.

Third, the guy's made it further in football than he ever should have and he did it with smarts and a huge work ethic. He'll demand the same of his players and, IMO, will earn (and demand) their respect.

Last, and probably most important, stability for Romo and offense. The last thing we need is to hire a new HC who will change the system. If that happens, JG is gone and will take a HC job; there's a bunch open every year and owners/GM's will jump on this kid in a heartbeat.

It's just my opinion, but when JG is promoted, which he will be, JG is going to get a blank check and he'll bring in his assistants, starting with Dom Capers. I'm not even sure that Campo will still be around. JG's not blind to what's going on at the Ranch. Far from it. This team put up 380 yards of offense and scored 3 TD's vs Arizona. They should have won but Wade's lost the players and the team's divided. That won't happen with Jason Garrett.

Change is coming to Dallas. Jerry will not roll the team into the new stadium with Wade at helm. Bank on it.

Woods

Reaction score
Dodger12;2335176 said:
Wade's been looking over his shoulder the day he took the job and didn't have the spine to insist on hiring his coordinators. The spotlight got brighter when Garrett became the higest paid OC in the NFL. When your staff is more loyal to the owner, as opposed to the HC, you've got problems when the going gets tough (which will happen in every season). But Wade took the same awe shucks/laid back approach to Jerry back then so, in some respects, while I like Wade, I feel little sympathy for his current plight.

First, he's been coached by Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. In that sense, he's seen the pluses and minues in the locker room from a player's perspective relative to the importance of the coach. He's played under both a disciplinarian and "loose" coach who let his players run the asylum, fracture the team and destroy a dynasty.

Second, he's been part of a winning program/dynasty and was a student of the game. Simply put, the guy knows how to win and what it takes to win. I also think the guy knows what type of player would fit for his team and he has Jerry's ear and respect come draft day.

Third, the guy's made it further in football than he ever should have and he did it with smarts and a huge work ethic. He'll demand the same of his players and, IMO, will earn (and demand) their respect.

Last, and probably most important, stability for Romo and offense. The last thing we need is to hire a new HC who will change the system. If that happens, JG is gone and will take a HC job; there's a bunch open every year and owners/GM's will jump on this kid in a heartbeat.

It's just my opinion, but when JG is promoted, which he will be, JG is going to get a blank check and he'll bring in his assistants, starting with Dom Capers. I'm not even sure that Campo will still be around. JG's not blind to what's going on at the Ranch. Far from it. This team put up 380 yards of offense and scored 3 TD's vs Arizona. They should have won but Wade's lost the players and the team's divided. That won't happen with Jason Garrett.

Change is coming to Dallas. Jerry will not roll the team into the new stadium with Wade at helm. Bank on it.

There you go, getting my expectations and hopes up. ;)

I just don't think we're going to win anything of significance (i.e., Super Bowls) with Wade as our HC.

At the time Wade was hired, he was probably the best choice at the time. But I don't think he can take this team to the next level.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Dodger12;2335176 said:

my only point is he seems to get a free pass on how we have played..and again, we are 5-5 in the last 10 games...and if you go back to Philly late last year...Washington late last year....the Giants in the playoffs...and a couple of games this year...he has been outcoached. He has NOT made adjustments. He CANNOT get TO the ball. That is just dumbfounding. So talking this offense up is confusing. I mean we get the ball to start OT and CANNOT EVEN GET 1 YARD!!!!!!!!!!! Explain that one to me please. And you can add Hudson Houck to the list as well. Another top paid OL coach in the NFL. I think he might be THE highest paid OL coach in the NFL. This OL has regressed.

Dodger12

Reaction score
Woods;2335204 said:
There you go, getting my expectations and hopes up. ;)

I just don't think we're going to win anything of significance (i.e., Super Bowls) with Wade as our HC.

At the time Wade was hired, he was probably the best choice at the time. But I don't think he can take this team to the next level.

Wade was the best of the bunch that Jerry was looking at and I had my doubts at the time. I wasn't really too keen on bringing in JG because I was of the mindset the wade should have his say on his assistants, not that I didn't like Garrett. But Wade wanted to coach again and he bought into it so now he's stuck with it. I'm pissed and have absolutely no sympathy for what's in store.

The one thing I hate is that, with some coaches, you just feel that they get what the problems are and they'll move heaven and earth to get it fixed; you can almost see a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't get that with Wade but I do with JG, if for no other reason than Jerry has his ear and respects him enough to let him run the team.

Have no fear Woody, keep your hopes up.....change is coming. I'm certain of it.

Dodger12

Reaction score
bbailey423;2335238 said:
my only point is he seems to get a free pass on how we have played..and again, we are 5-5 in the last 10 games...and if you go back to Philly late last year...Washington late last year....the Giants in the playoffs...and a couple of games this year...he has been outcoached. He has NOT made adjustments. He CANNOT get TO the ball. That is just dumbfounding. So talking this offense up is confusing. I mean we get the ball to start OT and CANNOT EVEN GET 1 YARD!!!!!!!!!!! Explain that one to me please. And you can add Hudson Houck to the list as well. Another top paid OL coach in the NFL. I think he might be THE highest paid OL coach in the NFL. This OL has regressed.

The OL was putrid and looked winded and out of shape with the game on the line in the 4th quarter, especially Adams. Look, I'm not saying the O is humming right along and JG's having his finest moments. But the HC has lost this team and they're uninspired and undisciplined. They're looking for some leadership, not excuses, and it's just not there. Garrett can only do so much without looking like he's undermining the HC. I really believe that and, as always, it's just my opinion for whatever it's worth, which might be nothing......

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dre1614;2334773 said:
that was actually a good play call. Romo is at his best throwing on the run, and down the sidelines.

definitely, it worked for us a ton last year, Romo was just off yesterday, that was the 1st of 3 overthrows, one terribly to TO

regarding the OP's question, someday down the line, maybe 3-5 years from now I think Garrett is going to be ready to be a HC, he needs to learn how to be a quality coordinator 1st

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
there are no guarantees he'd be a good HC, except for hope. Numbers tell you he's a long-shot actually, especially his first stop.

I consider him a mediocre coordinator making tons of mistakes over and over... he's in over his head really.

imho he does not deserve a promotion based on track record at this time.

that said, assuming he let someone else do the playcalling, he could be a good head coach because he's organized, has a long history in football w/ father a coach and is smart. but just cause he stood next to aikman calling plays in his head doesnt' translate to HEAD COACH OF THE most valued NFL franchise.

major franchises (like the cowboys) in all sports can't have learning-on-the-fly head coaches but jerruh has annointed him already.

bbailey423;2334687 said:

dre1614

Reaction score
Q_the_man;2334928 said:
yep, he has a 1000 yard rusher every year, to where we don't even know the RBs name...... So yes he is smart.........

Mike Shanahan has had games where he has abandoned the run, especially when he was in San Fran and Denver early in his career.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think Jason Garrett will be a great head coach. I'm glad Jerry protected him and kept him in Dallas. I just think he needs someone to check him a little bit at times (like the 2 losses). That has to come from Wade Phillips. Who else can do it? I don't want a leash on Romo, and I want the ball to go down the field.

However, sometimes the nature of the game says you have to be more careful and patient, especially when you are having protection issues against a four man rush.