Giving up on LVE could haunt the Cowboys like WR Jimmy Smith

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lk8701, May 9, 2021.

1. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,340 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
  2. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,340 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Rookie Season: . He was selected to the Pro Bowl, named second-team All-Pro, and selected to the PFWA All-Rookie team. His 87.5 grade from Pro Football Focus was fourth among all qualified linebackers.

The most impressive part: He only started 11 games as a rookie.

3. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

9,701 Messages
    10,179 Likes Received
    Willing to let LVE try and get it right, the FO has that time to,, not worried at this point just to be honest.

Techsass and CowboysWillRise like this.
  4. Cowboy Lover

Cowboy Lover Well-Known Member

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    If these two guys have lingering injury/health problems, then your opinion is complicit

I get it,,,we aren't he team doctors or execs. But when they come back and blame the NFL for their long term injuries/health...well they are also making fans complicit in it too.

I think both of these guys should retire. Not because I hate them (for not being cowboys legends? ) but because they are injured and i have compassion for them as human beings.

plymkr likes this.
  5. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

4,086 Messages
    6,920 Likes Received
    They aren't going to throw away a 1st round draft pick with a rookie Pro Bowl season two years later due to injury unless it was permanent damage that greatly reduced his abilities.

My opinion is that LVE is going to have a monster season. Both he and Jaylon are constructing a massive chip on their shoulders and these are competitive guys with a lot of pride. They aren't going to go quietly. That's a win-win for the Cowboys.

Techsass and CowboysWillRise like this.
  6. Cowboy Lover

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    The brightest star flames out quickest.

7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

11,374 Messages
    6,469 Likes Received
    I would explore trading both Jaylon Smith and LVE right now. Call teams and see what they are willing to give in return.
    Neither Jaylon or LVE will be doing much for the team this year in my opinion. Maybe some other team will give up something for a name to sell hope to their fans.

8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

20,987 Messages
    21,312 Likes Received
    No matter how great he plays we better not give him a long term deal

Whyjerry likes this.
  9. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,340 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Never sell low always sell high. It's like the stock market. Don't panic sell when the value is decreasing. Hope they stay healthy this season and rebound. Then consider trade options.

Undisputed likes this.
  10. Cowboy Lover

4,466 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    So...for one...not sure what evidence you have LVE won't be injured. He's missed as lot of time surely you understand your opinion is exceedingly optimistic...based on factual history.

And NOW...you say they should super outperform themselves because of a "chip on their shoulder"...NOW? I expect all NFL/pro athletes to ALWAYS have a "chip on there shoulder". To always outperform themselves and move the bar.

If they haven't, they are behind everyone else. . Is that why LVE and Jaylon haven't excelled so far?

11. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

9,883 Messages
    15,958 Likes Received
    Dallas drafted 2 LBs that can really play. LVE is a free option right now. Nothing more.

mardwin likes this.
  12. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,340 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    That's to be determined.

13. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

13,831 Messages
    23,320 Likes Received
    Just because they didn't pick up his 5th year option doesn't mean they gave up on him. He still has one more year on his contract and if he balls out he will get extended.

xwalker, Techsass and plymkr like this.
  14. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

18,463 Messages
    16,245 Likes Received
    If you used the 5th year option it would have been 9 mil
    They didn’t and it was the right move
    I hope he has a career year and a great career
    Seems like a great kid
    But a great year helps us this year and with a comp the next

15. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    5,270 Likes Received
    I see your point but it's comparing apples to oranges. Jimmy Smith had a hard time getting playing time with Irvin, Harper and Martin. He also got injured and kind of kept the Cowboys in the dark about his injury, then Jerry cut him and if I remember right there was a lawsuit about him getting cut cuz of injury.

LVE has had plenty of playing time in his 4 years so the FO knows what he can do on the field and the FO knows his whole medical issues. If I remember right they didn't know all of Smith's medical issues.

I agree with you that we shouldn't give up on him but I disagree that he'll have a HOF career with the Cowboys or any other team. I personally would like them to resign LVE to a team friendly contract for a 3 year extension. But paying him 9 million next year wouldn't be wise if he could get injured and miss the season; and he's not a 9 million dollar player on the field. IMO

Techsass and conner01 like this.
  16. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

18,715 Messages
    17,033 Likes Received
    Yeah, well, we're going into the 2021 season now.

17. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

18,463 Messages
    16,245 Likes Received
    He was selected to replace a player
    Only elected players count as a pro bowl selection for calculating 5th year option
    When healthy he’s a stud
    But the risk is very high and now the cost starts getting very high
    Time to move on and I wish him the best
    I hope he has a great and long career

18. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    5,270 Likes Received
    I agree, I really want LVE to retire. I don't want him in a wheelchair the rest of his life. Jaylon's injury doesn't scare me too much as far as the rest of his life is concerned. But LVE just got married and he's got his life ahead of him. With his injury one bad hit to the neck could cripple him. I'd just assume he retire and live a long, happy, safe life.

19. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

6,561 Messages
    8,387 Likes Received
    it could haunt but….. odds say if you ain’t done it in 4 years.. you ain’t gonna do it at all..Age catches up quick in the NFL. Especially Rb’s and LB’s.

20. Redline360

Redline360 Well-Known Member

1,407 Messages
    1,918 Likes Received
    One good season. Injury prone. When healthy last year played scared.

No thanks. Should have never been drafted that early to begin with