Giving up on LVE could haunt the Cowboys like WR Jimmy Smith

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.
Jimmy Smith was good, but not great....and he was often injured.........time to move on

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you always need to be a doctor to make an informed decision from a medical standpoint? Is there not enough information out there to make a judgment call in this case? What kind of doctor do you speak of? Will you take the word of neurosurgeon or would you also want to hear from a sports psychologist and find out about any mental effects the player may be experiencing?
If my leg is at an angle right in the middle of the femur, don't need a doc to tell me it's broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoboQB

Reaction score
we’ll get a big bag of hot air for Jaclyn

LVE, I expect will play very well (if he stays healthy) for a new contract so I expect we could get a rd 3 comp for him. I would trade him for a 2 but nothing less because we may as well use him

Used air that smells like a fart, no doubt.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys gave up on WR Jimmy Smith after only 2 seasons and he ended up having an excellent career with the Jaguars. I don't think the Cowboys should give up on LVE too soon. I actually wished they used their 5th year option on him. So they wouldn't be obligated to use the franchise tag on him if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability. LVE is a HOF caliber talent.

LVE's play the last couple of years was nowhere near justifying the 5th year tag.

I believe he can look like the player we saw in 2018 again, and grow from that, but I don't even consider that likely. Just possible.

Franchise tag looks very unlikely. Parsons is the future and will get his snaps. They didn't guarantee Jaylon's 7.2mil for him to ride the pine. Cox is the "Steal of the Draft". Lots of LBs to split snaps with. Hard to rack up the stats when you can't take the full load.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If my leg is at an angle right in the middle of the femur, don't need a doc to tell me it's broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only break I ever had was a pinky toe. Jammed it into a door jamb. Looked down - Doh! My toe isn't supposed to point that way!

Adreme

Reaction score
How is LVE a wasted pick when he was a Pro Bowler his first season while leading the team in tackles?

How is Jaylon Smith a wasted pick when he is ranked 3rd in the league in tackles for the last combined last three seasons. He was the 2nd leading tackler in the league last season. If you want to improve this team's defense, you don't start with the linebackers. It is extremely challenging to be an effective LB when the DT's play like sliding glass doors.

Tackles are a lousy stat to use to judge a defender. It might be one of the worst ones of all. There is basically no correlation between the league leaders in tackles and being a great player (seriously go look at the list and other than the top 10+ being all 3 down linebackers it tells you nothing about the skill levels of these players).

Also if your first-round pick had a good rookie year and then was nothing after that, then the pick did not work out. It is unfortunate that it did not work out, but it did not work out.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I’m not giving up hope on him or Jaylon. This year is huge for both of them.

Yep. Drafting talent and creating competition doesn’t mean the FO has given up on LVE. Neither does refusing to pick up his option.

Last year LVE looked bad. Lost. Bad angles. Bad form. Tentative and afraid to stick his head into contact. Some could be blamed on the scheme, but not all of it. LVE is going to have to produce on the field— and if he does, he will get his $$$— from Dallas or another team.

The bottom line is that this team can’t afford to invest a ton of resources into a key player that can’t stay on the field— no matter how talented that player may be.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy Smith never really got started in Dallas. It appeared that he could not avoid IR and back before FA, the roster of those super bowl teams was extremely competitive. He was cut b/c he refused a pay cut.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They both have bad injuries. One is a neck another is a foot that may never be 100%. Why would you want them to be worse? Don't we care about players' health in modern NFL?

I know you are a very angry guy...especially when people disagree with your opinions. But lingering injuries long past football should be a serious concern.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, I can't prove they won't be injured. I don't expect them to outperform themselves, if they can remain healthy, I expect them to at least return to their production of 2018, in which LVE was a Pro Bowler. LVE did excel and would have continued to do so if it weren't for his injuries.

LVE had some injuries. That doesn't imply that he will have injuries again. I can give you example after example of players that had early injuries only to come back and be a great contributing star. You should check out Michael Irvin's first 3 seasons. Linebacker Ken Norton jr. had nagging injuries his first three seasons and then exploded in his fourth. DeMarco Murray missed 18 games in his first three seasons, played in all 16 his fourth season and broke the Cowboy's single season rushing record.

I think this neck injury is a bit different than those. Apparently a lot of teams at the draft felt the same way. Not sure why "we" (LVE included) would take such a chance. These days of heightened awareness.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They both have bad injuries. One is a neck another is a foot that may never be 100%. Why would you want them to be worse? Don't we care about players' health in modern NFL?

I know you are a very angry guy...especially when people disagree with your opinions. But lingering injuries long past football should be a serious concern.
Every player plays with injuries throughout the league. It's FOOTBALL. With your reasoning they may as well shut down the league.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he plays well that doesn't necessarily mean they would be obligated to use the franchise tag. They could negotiate an extension.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Yeah the Cowboys have great success drafting linebackers in the first two rounds with serious and well documented injury history (PRIOR to the draft). The players played well WHEN healthy.

The guy obviously has had injury problems in the past and needs to stay fully healthy and ball out. If there is even the hint of long term issues with his neck, then I would pass on an extension even if he has a season like Lawrence Taylor. Staying on the field comes before performance (at least on good organizations with a GM that would be held accountable) when thinking about long term contracts.

HOF talent is just bs to get everyone's attention. It takes multiple years of extreme production and/or team success for players to be considered.

Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith should not have been drafted in the second round, nor given an extension. The Cowboys front office had and has nothing to lose by crapping draft picks away and gifting contract extensions.

Whichever idiot before is posting about total tackles from Jaylon as though they are as important as forcing fumbles, tackling for loss, pass breakups, sacks, hits on QB, tackling to stop a first down conversion, etc is just an emotional boob that does not wish to accurately weigh real performance.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think everything weighs on if he can stay healthy or not. I know the kid has talent. I watched him dominate games while he was with Boise State and we've all seen what he can do when he was on the field making plays his rookie season. I guess time will tell but I will most certainly be rooting for him (anybody on the team for that matter) to succeed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn't let LVE go but if their argument is he's never healthy and he's not on the field then how can you fault them? I really don't care what he does for another team.

Creeper

Reaction score

You had me until the HoF comment. Not sure what talent he has that make him HoF. We certainly have not seen it yet.