Glad Dan Quinn's bad schemes are gone from Dallas

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
Whose fault is it for said bad LBs? It was Dan Quinn who got rid of our 4-3 scheme and got rid of our bigger LBs and went more to lighter hybrids who simply can't handle stopping the run.

I'm looking forward to Mike Zimmer, his better schemes and belief in using bigger and better LBs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whose fault is it for said bad LBs? It was Dan Quinn who got rid of our 4-3 scheme and got rid of our bigger LBs and went more to lighter hybrids who simply can't handle stopping the run.
Harper/Cox/Clark never progressed. LVE/Overshown on IR. Evans provided nothing.

Where is the GM who is responsible for building this team? Quinn didn't have much to work with.

Put Bell back at Safety and get some real linebackers in here and you will see a noticeable difference in the overall defensive play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Harper/Cox/Clark never progressed. LVE/Overshown on IR. Evans provided nothing.

Where is the GM who is responsible for building this team? Quinn didn't have much to work with.

Put Bell back at Safety and get some real linebackers in here and you will see a noticeable difference in the overall defensive play.
Don't act as if Dan Quinn had no say in the Draft Room. He did. Jerry includes his coordinators input as to whom to draft. Plus, Quinn's 4-2-5 scheme was horrible against the run, especially while using smaller hybrid LBs/S.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. Always blaming scheme. No scheme in the world is gonna help this team.

Play #1 the entire thing is set up to give Parson 1 on 1 and half the field to work with and he fails to get there ends the play on his butt. The LB Clark didn't do a very good job in coverage either but if the QB has all day plays like that are gonna happen all day.

Play #2 watch boy wonder D Flaw. That is the stuff you get from him all day long. It will result in a couple of highlight reel run tackles for a loss but for the rest of the day it kills you. Kearse quit playing long long ago yet he still starts every week. You got a scheme to fix that? Gilmore is a classic Cowboys DB. Not a factor in run D at all.

Scheme LOL this team is weak and soft and selfish and stupid. We had zero chance to win that game. Zero. Scheme or no scheme.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. Always blaming scheme. No scheme in the world is gonna help this team.

Play #1 the entire thing is set up to give Parson 1 on 1 and half the field to work with and he fails to get there ends the play on his butt. The LB Clark didn't do a very good job in coverage either but if the QB has all day plays like that are gonna happen all day.

Play #2 watch boy wonder D Flaw. That is the stuff you get from him all day long. It will result in a couple of highlight reel run tackles for a loss but for the rest of the day it kills you. Kearse quit playing long long ago yet he still starts every week. You got a scheme to fix that? Gilmore is a classic Cowboys DB. Not a factor in run D at all.

Scheme LOL this team is weak and soft and selfish and stupid. We had zero chance to win that game. Zero. Scheme or no scheme.
So you're saying a 4-2-5 Defense is a good scheme to run against the run?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I am saying that the players stink and we would get our butts wooped no matter what the scheme. I thought I was pretty clear.
The players bad attitude and poor performances can get fixed with hard-nosed old school drilling types of coaches who are there to drill them players hard and not be their best friend like Dan Quinn was. Mike Zimmer will definitely drill these spoiled athletes into shape.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I guarantee you the packers watched some film and said wanna get some easy yards watch what D Flaw will do when we run this action. We can literally run at the DE and leave him completely untouched and he will not affect the play at all. We can even have a TE run right by him and he will dodge the TE like a humming bird.

What is the solution? Better scheme and better LBs of course.

Sure the LBs sucked. Sure Kearse sucked he quit a long time ago. Sure the players don't know what they are doing. IMHO that is on the so called leader, so called start player, so called best run stopping DE in the NFL. Start there.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The players bad attitude and poor performances can get fixed with hard-nosed old school drilling types of coaches who are there to drill them players hard and not be their best friend like Mike Zimmer does. Totally the opposite of what Dan Quinn was.
I wish what you are saying is true I just don't believe that is the case anymore. Players need to be help accountable by the other players. IMHO you best players need to be the team leaders. Young players will only buy in if they see that the stars are all in 100%. Start there. Get some good young minds in to coach them up and game plan. Basically the opposite of what we do every year. Zimmer can not lead this team. He simply can not. It will be 100% on guys like Parsons and Lawrence and Diggs. Guys who have already proven that they have no interest what so ever in being that guy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I guarantee you the packers watched some film and said wanna get some easy yards watch what D Flaw will do when we run this action. We can literally run at the DE and leave him completely untouched and he will not affect the play at all. We can even have a TE run right by him and he will dodge the TE like a humming bird.

What is the solution? Better scheme and better LBs of course.

Sure the LBs sucked. Sure Kearse sucked he quit a long time ago. Sure the players don't know what they are doing. IMHO that is on the so called leader, so called start player, so called best run stopping DE in the NFL. Start there.
Nobody is arguing against you. D-Law definitely has not lived up to his potential and pay. Mike Zimmer will soon either be able to improve D-Law or recommend he get shipped out. Same goes for everyone else on defense.

lukemartin79

Reaction score

I'm looking forward to Mike Zimmer, his better schemes and belief in using bigger and better LBs.
Agreed - Im with you on that. I thought it was DQ who preferred using safeties as LBs, something I believe he did in ATL as well. Thats totally his fault then. How can it not be, lol?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Dan Quinn is a good coordinator and did a very good job overall in Dallas. He had a terrible last game and his scheme had some flaws but we were lucky to have him here.

Hopefully Zimmer can fix and improve upon certain areas like stopping the run etc.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
So you're saying a 4-2-5 Defense is a good scheme to run against the run?
Actually, if you have the RIGHT DT’s and LB’s, the 4-2-5 CAN work well against the run. Example, if this squad had a D.J. Reader @ NT and paired him with a much bigger 3T that has actual anchoring abilities - and combined that with Micah playing a hybrid WLB/DE next to a LEGIT MLB, that would stuff the runs up the gut. I’ve been wondering from the day they announced Zim as a candidate if that’s how he sees Micah.