Glad Dan Quinn's bad schemes are gone from Dallas

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Weird to show a video showing players failing to execute while talking about scheme...

btgboys41

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. Always blaming scheme. No scheme in the world is gonna help this team.

Play #1 the entire thing is set up to give Parson 1 on 1 and half the field to work with and he fails to get there ends the play on his butt. The LB Clark didn't do a very good job in coverage either but if the QB has all day plays like that are gonna happen all day.

Play #2 watch boy wonder D Flaw. That is the stuff you get from him all day long. It will result in a couple of highlight reel run tackles for a loss but for the rest of the day it kills you. Kearse quit playing long long ago yet he still starts every week. You got a scheme to fix that? Gilmore is a classic Cowboys DB. Not a factor in run D at all.

Scheme LOL this team is weak and soft and selfish and stupid. We had zero chance to win that game. Zero. Scheme or no scheme.
Something about “highlight reel run tackles” gave me a chuckle. Thanks.

btgboys41

Reaction score
This thread sounds like the Kellen Moore threads from the end of last season. Ended up with the same results. Scheme isn’t the issue. Identity is a big issue and identity is not the same thing as scheme.

Unfortunately, Identity comes from the coach who is nutless thanks to Jerry.

This team arbitrarily acquires talent but without an identity, it’s no more than a crapshoot to field a great team on the field. They get good players but have no idea how to get the most out of them.

If we took a poll, I bet we’d get 10 different ideas on what our identity is.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Zimmer I need a new DC with a new scheme. I need a scheme that meets the following criteria:

1. Does not require much intelligence from the players.
2. Does not require much knowledge or understanding of the opponents.
3. Does not require players to win 1 on 1 battles.
4. Will not make our players tired.
5. Will not require our star players to step up.
6. Will not require any form of leadership from within.
7. Will allow the players to focus on other things.

dfense

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
That makes way too much sense for this post. I can't understand how more teams didn't take advantage of the 210 MLBer sooner.

His "crazy schemes" put the Cowboys in the top 5 for most of the season.

Do you think Zimmer was calling those schemes crazy when his Vikings got smashed at home 40-3 in 2022 and they held Cousins to 100 yards passing?

Remember when Zimmer was the Dallas D coordinator who allowed three 200 yard rushers in one season and Campo had to step in? lol

Brax

Reaction score
Good riddance!

Looking forward to better defensive schemes and playcalls by Mike Zimmer.

So DQ who’s D made it to three SBs and won one and lost one because of a. Terrible O call at the end of the game at the goal line has a bad system, maybe he didn’t get the players needed due to the bloated cap spend on the offensive side. So now magically MZ with the same basic players who runs a complicated scheme is going to call a few better plays and get so much more out of them with his abrasive and old school mentality, can’t wait to hear Parsons pod casts after he gets ripped by MZ. Yep should make for a fun season

blueblood70

Reaction score
They needed a LBer bad and still low-balled Shaq Leonard...granted that would have been a waste of our time too it's looking more and more like we walked right into this ourselves, possibly with DQ leading the charge saying he had a solution for it.

I have another question for you guys - any type of jealousy or hate towards Quinn from MM/Joneses going to a divsional rival with all the secrets? That seems like a pretty shady move to me. Prior years he didn't want a crappy job, this year he ran for the crappiest one as fast as he could. I do not think Quinn will be an issue for us, but I do think he has an answer for Dak and was happy to play him, Hurts and Daniel Jones twice a year.
Can we stop with the false information they did not lowball Shaq Leonard he was gonna make the same money with both teams he chose Philadelphia by his own words because he felt like he could get the most exposure there the most playing time so he had a shot at getting picked up with a bigger contract next year but the Indianapolis Colts paid his salary this year outside of the veteran minimum like whatever Philadelphia paid him the Colts paid the rest he didn't make any more money with the Cowboys versus the Eagles he chose it for his own personal reasons.,.

BE CLEAR Facts; all players with contracts that are cut mid season by a team or even sometimes in the offseason that still have money left on their contract that's bonus money dead cap money is paid by the team they left not by the team they're going to therefore when that does happen a team can pay the veteran minimum and the other team where they left pays the rest of they're not making anymore money anywhere they go they're making the same money that they had on their contract....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good riddance!

Looking forward to better defensive schemes and playcalls by Mike Zimmer.

Unless we fix some of our positional weaknesses, you will be saying the same thing concerning Zimmer next year. And even if we do, there will be times when fans are frustrated by the defense anyway because it's hard to consistently play great defense with the way the league is set up, especially when you have some major weak links.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Quinn as a DC>>Zimmer
Just different DCs who have each had multiple top-five defenses. Quinn's defenses have been top five in points four times (twice in Seattle and the last two years in Dallas) and top 10 six times. Zimmer's have been five times and top 10 10 times, but granted, Zimmer has been coaching longer.

Creeper

Reaction score
Two plays but my conclusion from these two plays is the Cowboys players did not know their assignments. They were not prepared. Also, this is a problem for Dallas in that they do not play team football.

On the run play, Lawrence is crashing inside following what, I don't know. But when he vacates the edge, someone has to come up immediately and fill the gap he created. I assume it was Kearse, but Kearse delays his reaction and takes a step inside too! This has been the problem with the Cowboys run defense for at least 2 years. Perhaps Lawrence was supposed to rush inside like he did, but if that was the case then Kearse should have known and then reacted accordingly. On the other hand, Maybe Lawrence fell for the motion and Kearse didn't realize Lawrence was going to jump inside.

This is an example of discipline that the Cowboys defense lacked and at times it cost them during the season.

The first play shows a similar lack of understanding of who was supposed to do what. You can see Gilmore lets the receiver go inside and he points to him as if he expected someone else to pick the receiver up. No one did.

Discipline? Preparation? I have no idea but if Zimmer is going to accomplish anything with this defense he has got to clean this up and get his guys prepared. They have to know what it expected of them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Weird to show a video showing players failing to execute while talking about scheme...
If only you understood how to read a bad scheme. When players repeatedly are told to slant a certain way or cover a certain way, it's definitely a scheme issue.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is the best part about homers like you

While Quinn was here: hes the best, great DC, chest thumping, super fan nonsense if someone criticized him

Once Quinn left: thank God he left, goodbye to his bad schemes

And then you want people to take you seriously

LOL
:facepalm:
Show everyone where I ever praised Dan Quinn? You can't because I never liked him. But go ahead with your usual false accusations self. It's what you're good at. What a joke.

conner01

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
I don’t think the scheme was the issue. I think he just got stubborn sonetimes and refused to adjust. The concept of pressure I love but that works best when well ahead. Early and in close games stopping the run is key

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would also like to point out on the first play that no matter what the scheme is or the responsibilities are Gilmore should not have just stopped. He left his man to cover an area that did not have anyone within 25 yards of him. I would bet if you asked DQ what Gilmore should have done he would 100% without a doubt say that he should have kept with his man. Even if his responsibility was the left hand side. If there is no one else around than help out. Be a professional. His play there was just plain stupid.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Against the Packers, Dan Quinn had a horrible plan. Rolling with nickel packages so stubbornly against heavy-run personnel from Green Bay was a bad idea. Relying on unathletic run-stopping safeties to handle coverage duties was also not good. And Micah Parsons lurking back in coverage? Nope.

The scheme against Green Bay was terrible. The adjustments Dan Quinn made were minimal.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Quinn was a good DC. There was a huge improvement when he took over. Dallas had one of the top defenses in the league under Quinn.

The defense still lacks key pieces. That's on the GM, not Quinn.
And then the injuries...

Quinn was not "the" problem with the defense any more that KM was "the" problem with the offense. Quinn did a good job given what he had to work with.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Quinn was a good DC. There was a huge improvement when he took over. Dallas had one of the top defenses in the league under Quinn.

The defense still lacks key pieces. That's on the GM, not Quinn.
And then the injuries...

Quinn was not "the" problem with the defense any more that KM was "the" problem with the offense. Quinn did a good job given what he had to work with.
How did Kellen Moore do with the Chargers?