Glad Dan Quinn's bad schemes are gone from Dallas

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Harper/Cox/Clark never progressed. LVE/Overshown on IR. Evans provided nothing.

Where is the GM who is responsible for building this team? Quinn didn't have much to work with.

Put Bell back at Safety and get some real linebackers in here and you will see a noticeable difference in the overall defensive play.
I am fine with having a Bell type playing WILL in the base. You just need guys that are traditional LB. We only had one and he had no clue what he was doing.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What gets to me about this is any bonified NFL fan knows playoffs will expose your weakness like a sore thumb. MM, Quinn, Jerry and Stephen also had to know the band-aides (no real LBers) on D would show up post-season, yet they didn't do a damn thing to fix it. Like Love told Parsons, the Packers attacked it directly and KNEW they would have success. As he said, they fed off that.........crazy.

foofighters

Reaction score
Whose fault is it for said bad LBs? It was Dan Quinn who got rid of our 4-3 scheme and got rid of our bigger LBs and went more to lighter hybrids who simply can't handle stopping the run.

I'm looking forward to Mike Zimmer, his better schemes and belief in using bigger and better LBs.
My worry is that is there time this year to bring in some quality linebackers? We have other holes to fill as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Quinn is credited with turning a bottom tier defense he took over into a top 10 defense .

Our weakness up the middle stopping the run though continue to be a problem . Now whether that’s scheme or lack of talent is arguable. Maybe a combination thereof in an attempt to overcome the weakness.,

But it should be noted Mazi was drafted to help fill that hole which looks like another 1st round miss for us on DL. And Vander Esch going down was a tough loss as well.

So here we are still needing to beef up interior of our defense. Stopping the run is still a weakness . We’ll see how we address . But scheme without talent wont fix it alone.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas for years has struggled against the run no matter the scheme. Prior to Quinn as well. Probably have to go back to the Ro McClain/healthy Sean years when the talent at LB overcame the trash DTs.
In my opinion, their saving grace has been versus the bad teams they face they can get a multiple score lead which leads the opposing offenses to have to pass, which usually is to this teams advantage with all the pass rushers they had. When opposing teams can present the threat of a run or pass, they will struggle with getting off the field.

For the Packers game, the team was a mess. Nothing worked. I'm not sure of the reasons why Quinn abandoned the man coverage and played off, but the game was fitting for the Dallas Maple Leafs Panthers

Yes, Dallas drafted a DT in the first round last year. But he was more athlete(for his size at time of draft) than complete player. They quickly realized their "immediate starter" was far from a year 1 starter. Hankins at this point of his career, should be the sub in guy, but due to the lack of talent, he's the starter/50%+ of snaps.
The 3 tech guys are all JAGs.

And then the linebacker duo of Smith/LVE was nothing more than a mirage, with the Front office thinking keeping LVE around would be good enough. They've been drafting SPARQy linebackers for over a decade now, with very little to show for it. The only linebacker that made an impact was Lee and he wasn't something anyone would have thought as an athletic freak.

To me, the defensive issues are a FO issue. They drafted linebackers with more athletics than instincts and drafted guys with red flags.
The defensive tackle spot had been ignored for a decade. They got lucky with Ratliff, 7th rounder, and Hatcher, 3rd rounder-blossoming late, and since then they had @Stash favorite DT/DE in Crawford for way too long.
When Nolan came around, they finally invested in two over the hill DTs, which flamed out.

IMO if the team is serious, they will need to revisit how they build the front 7. It's no coincidence that the teams making it far in the postseason have a stud DT or a complete front 4. Not just one "superstar" edge paired with meh.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Anyone else notice we keep changing coordinators and schemes on each side of the ball but nothing really changes?
The defense has been suspect up front really since the 2009 season. That's really the last time Dallas had big athletes across the DL & LB that could hold their own vs the run. That was Parcells' influence on the roster and then Wade, before things fell apart the following season. It's been downhill since...

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whose fault is it for said bad LBs? It was Dan Quinn who got rid of our 4-3 scheme and got rid of our bigger LBs and went more to lighter hybrids who simply can't handle stopping the run.

I'm looking forward to Mike Zimmer, his better schemes and belief in using bigger and better LBs.
Bell had that great game early in the season, and they never looked back!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So you're saying a 4-2-5 Defense is a good scheme to run against the run?
A 4-2 is completely fine, That’s what most teams are running across the league. Problem for the cowboys is they really didn’t really have two backers in the game all year, and their dline was beat constantly by down and trap blocks. Teams are simply playing nickel/dime 60+ percent of the time and that continues to grow as 11 personnel has become the norm for offenses and TEs have become 6’4” 250lbs slot receivers. Running a traditional 4-3 just isn’t realistic for most downs in the modern game.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Bell had that great game early in the season, and they never looked back!!
Agree 100%. Bell stepped in and was so fantastic and they locked in. It was crazy to expect Bell to be your Ray Lewis and hold up all season but that is no reason to throw the option out all together either. To win in the NFL you need to have a lot of players and you need to be able to do a lot of different things.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agree 100%. Bell stepped in and was so fantastic and they locked in. It was crazy to expect Bell to be your Ray Lewis and hold up all season but that is no reason to throw the option out all together either. To win in the NFL you need to have a lot of players and you need to be able to do a lot of different things.
I'm not sure exactly what team beat us down after that game by running on us a lot, but that should have been an indicator right there

blueblood70

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
There's a fine line between blaming the players and the coaches but in this case playing so much zone that they usually don't play you expect players who all year or used to playing man in the biggest game of the year just switch to zone and be efficient at it that alone is all on Dan Quinn him using nickel and dime way too often in many games and all the losses this year you can blame incompetent or under talented players but in this case most of us saw this is Dan Quinn not coming off what he loves to run no matter what and then makes a terrible decision to play zone to protect Gilmore???!!

nope I agree with OP, good riddance! No one saying Dan Quinn sucked but we saw even with the run game you gonna blame the linebackers and the defensive tackles for him running nickel and dime almost all game against Buffalo and I bet if we went and broke down all these videos you're going to find out that most offensive coordinators including what Josh Allen to back this up said after the game we did not plan to run so much but when we noticed the defensive alignments and schemes we're going to use undersized players and invite us to run we just decided to do it all game they blew us out and Josh Allen had 90 yards passing...

Head coaches and offensive coordinators watched videos from the last three seasons and it got worse and worse Dan Quinn seemed unwilling to adapt he was gonna run his stuff no matter what and that's just my opinion but I'm offering you why I think that it mostly was him it no longer was a good fit..

Yes he improved our team from Mike Nolan but that's not saying much he reminded me more of rod marinelli with games maybe had a few more turnovers and sacks at times against bad teams they definitely rolled over them but he literally got punched in the mouth almost every single big game or big moment throughout his tenure here but mainly this year it was apparent that we were losing games more because of the defense than they then in my opinion than any other phase of the team....

But either way I just think it's a good fresh start for both Quinn and us and I am looking forward to just seeing something different even if it's not impact fully improved I'd like to see it just happy game plan each week that looks different for each team this is not how I watch Dan Quinn literally just played the same defense most weeks getting adapt most games..​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Harper/Cox/Clark never progressed. LVE/Overshown on IR. Evans provided nothing.

Where is the GM who is responsible for building this team? Quinn didn't have much to work with.

Put Bell back at Safety and get some real linebackers in here and you will see a noticeable difference in the overall defensive play.
You do realize that team like the 49ers just let go of their defensive coordinator and I don't even see why but they were upset with the way he is entire year went and there might not be fully blaming him for the Super bowl but I'm sorry they played better then Dan Quinn's defense and yet he got fired literally days after the Super bowl and somehow Jerry Jones allowed Dan Quinn to take his sweet time trying to find something better and was going to allow him to come back here that was the first mistake thank God Dan Quinn found a job the only good thing Washington's done, ever!

On a side note I think Mike Zimmer should take advantage of this 49ers letting this guy go and finding a way to fit him on this defense in any capacity make him an assistant defensive coordinator slash give him a position like linebackers coach or something..

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
In defense of DQ, he didn't have much to work with at LB. If he had 2 or 3 competent linebackers who could read their assignments and understand their responsibilities it would make a huge difference. Additionally, Kearse regressed big time this year. That made the situation at LB even worse. The two plays broken down in the video are more about the players than the scheme.
They needed a LBer bad and still low-balled Shaq Leonard...granted that would have been a waste of our time too it's looking more and more like we walked right into this ourselves, possibly with DQ leading the charge saying he had a solution for it.

I have another question for you guys - any type of jealousy or hate towards Quinn from MM/Joneses going to a divsional rival with all the secrets? That seems like a pretty shady move to me. Prior years he didn't want a crappy job, this year he ran for the crappiest one as fast as he could. I do not think Quinn will be an issue for us, but I do think he has an answer for Dak and was happy to play him, Hurts and Daniel Jones twice a year.

visionary

Reaction score
Good riddance!

Looking forward to better defensive schemes and playcalls by Mike Zimmer.

This is the best part about homers like you

While Quinn was here: hes the best, great DC, chest thumping, super fan nonsense if someone criticized him

Once Quinn left: thank God he left, goodbye to his bad schemes

And then you want people to take you seriously

LOL
:facepalm:

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
You do realize that team like the 49ers just let go of their defensive coordinator and I don't even see why but they were upset with the way he is entire year went and there might not be fully blaming him for the Super bowl but I'm sorry they played better then Dan Quinn's defense and yet he got fired literally days after the Super bowl and somehow Jerry Jones allowed Dan Quinn to take his sweet time trying to find something better and was going to allow him to come back here that was the first mistake thank God Dan Quinn found a job the only good thing Washington's done, ever!

On a side note I think Mike Zimmer should take advantage of this 49ers letting this guy go and finding a way to fit him on this defense in any capacity make him an assistant defensive coordinator slash give him a position like linebackers coach or something..
i'm thinking he was the one who called Zim...likely wants revenge on the 49ers...we play them at santa clara again this year