Glad Jerry Hired Wade Not Turner!!!!..

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
The fact that Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were Jerry's final 2 candidates is very pathetic...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2454615 said:
The fact that Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were Jerry's final 2 candidates is very pathetic...

Who would you have hired?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2454423 said:
The Chargers front office is getting exactly what it deserves after firing Schottenheimer for going 14-2. Yea, he got beat in the playoffs, but firing a coach that took a team to 14 regular season wins is the most stupid thing I've ever heard of. Bet they hate that decision now.

:clap:

I always thought Marty Schottenheimer got a bum wrap. He lost against the Great Elway, and it wasn't his fault that the Chargers' defensive back allowed Troy Brown to strip him of the ball after an interception. :rolleyes:

His teams were always solid. And, yes, he didn't do more in the playoffs. But at least he got his teams there.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2454650 said:
before anyone goes any further, dbair wanted Norv in Dallas
Yeah...and that's about the only mark against his otherwise good post history.

I would've been glad had Jerry hired ANYBODY other than Norv.

Boysboy

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2454654 said:
:clap:

I always thought Marty Schottenheimer got a bum wrap. He lost against the Great Elway, and it wasn't his fault that the Chargers' defensive back allowed Troy Brown to strip him of the ball after an interception. :rolleyes:

His teams were always solid. And, yes, he didn't do more in the playoffs. But at least he got his teams there.

I think we're missing the bigger picture-for over a decade, Marty teams just haven't been prepared well going into the playoffs. Sure, the Chargers lost on a fluke play or 2 that year, but the entire game, they had dropped passes, boneheaded penalties, bad playcalling by the coordinators(i.e. Cam Cameron abandoning the run in the 2nd half when LT was gashing them, and Wade playing prevent on the Pats' 2 minute drill at at end of the 1st half), Marty WASN'T wearing the headset that day for some reason(he ended up challenging that fumble by that DB-otherwise, if he had the headset, the guy up in the booth would have told him not to, and he wouldn't have burned a TO doing so...hence they would have had that TO on the Chargers' last drive), and poor ST play.

Anyhow-when Marty's Chiefs had the #1 seeds in '95 and '97, they were making almost the exact same mistakes that his Chargers did against the Pats that year.

Ultimately, it's all on the coach when all is said and done-there's no way to sugar-coat it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2454671 said:
Yeah...and that's about the only mark against his otherwise good post history.

I would've been glad had Jerry ANYBODY other than Norv.

I was practically begging for anybody but Norv

I literally got sick to my stomach thinking about it

links18

Reaction score
and Wade playing prevent on the Pats' 2 minute drill at at end of the 1st half),

Giving up a cheap score before the end of the half.......sound familiar?

MrKennedyKennedy

Reaction score
For all of our criticism of Wade (especially after the Arizona and St. Louis games), this shows that things could always be worse.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2454650 said:
before anyone goes any further, dbair wanted Norv in Dallas

I didnt "want" Norv but I did believe he would have done well here, I also believed he be very good for Romo

I was also fine with hiring Wade by the way, because of what he'd do for the defense

Jerry interviewed a ton of people, the fact is alot of them were not good HC candidates.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Slam Norv all you want.

Its not ALL on him. Its on the players too.
The ref's and some last minute bad luck in more than one game set their season in a path that the players never recovered.

LT did something similar to what ALOT of Giants players did when Coughlin came in... no one wanted to buy into Coughlin... they struggled. Coughlin cleans house = SB.

Not really comparing Norv/Coughlin... just comparing the player relationship with coach.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alot of Norv-lovers were thumping a bit after last season. Where are they now?

The mantra was anyone but Norv. Wade probably wasn't tremendously better - but he was better. Jerry made the right choice of the available choices.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jerry did as thorough a job trying to find our next Head Coach as I could have hoped for. He didn't single out any one candidate. He interviewed more people than anyone else. I'm not Wade's biggest fan, but I will support him as long as we are winning.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
If you guys remember Parcells left us late in the game therefore we basically had to scramble for what was out there. I remember reading an article on Whisenhunt being our #1 target but Parcells hadn't decided to stay or go back then. By time he did decide most of the top coaches already had jobs.

Saying all of that, I still think we came out pretty good by selecting Wade. We needed this defense fixed especially because we had all this 1st rd talent on it. It took him some time but I think he has done that.Now we have to see if he has grown as a HC and can he be a leader of men to not only get them playing well enough to get in the playoffs but once there make some noise as well. I just hope that St louis game dosn't come back to haunt us.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
While I'm glad Jerry didn't hire norv, I can't say I'm thrilled about Wade.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2454460 said:
Turner destroyed the Skins, even though I thank him. Turner sucks!

Turner didn't help the Commanders, that is true, but he certainly didn't destroy them. They sucked before he got there. Thus why they had an opening for him in the first place.

superpunk;2454934 said:
Alot of Norv-lovers were thumping a bit after last season. Where are they now?

The mantra was anyone but Norv. Wade probably wasn't tremendously better - but he was better. Jerry made the right choice of the available choices.

Yes because weren't the only other guys who were actually available at the time Garrett, Singleterry, and Rivera? I mean out of those names was there really someone you'd rather have hired than Wade?

Maybe some people would have prefered we brought in Jim Fassel or something like that?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2454977 said:
Turner didn't help the Commanders, that is true, but he certainly didn't destroy them. They sucked before he got there. Thus why they had an opening for him in the first place.

I thought he did more than "not destroy the skins"... didnt he get fired after getting them to 8-8 where before that they were horrible?

Boysboy

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2454977 said:

In the 1st halves of the '96 and '97 seasons, many thought the Skins were Super Bowl contenders(they had starts of 7-1 and 5-2, I think)...only for them to fold like a cheap suit in the 2nd half. They were also 6-2 in the '00 season(the year Dan Snyder opened up his wallet and loaded up), only for them to implode in the 2nd half.

It's always the same story wherever he goes-poor discipline, rotten ST play, rashes of injuries, gut-wrenching nailbiting losses, in-house fighting among the players, and then at the end of each year when his tail is on the line, he'll mysteriously pull out the performances of the life to save his own *** and give the fans false optimism for next year.

Like I said-Skins fans were ROOTING for us to hire him.