Glad Jerry Hired Wade Not Turner!!!!..

Boysboy

Reaction score
YoMick;2455018 said:
I thought he did more than "not destroy the skins"... didnt he get fired after getting them to 8-8 where before that they were horrible?

Snyder fired him after back-back nailbiting home losses to the Eagles and Giants thanks to sloppy ST play and rotten decisions at the end of those games...they were 7-6 at that point. When passing coordinator Terry Ribiski was promoted to replace him, that's when TSHTF-they got blown out by us(and we were playing with a 3rd string QB), the Steelers, and then won their finale against the Cards.

That whole season was a roller coaster ride-they started 1-2 b/c of poor play by Brad Johnson(the QB controversy with Jeff George, one of their prized FAs, started to emerge), then they ran off 5 straight including wins @the Meadowlands and @the Vet.(in the latter game-Albert Connel almost got into a fist fight with one of the assistants on the sidelines) Then they dropped their next 2, only to rally for a bit when Jeff George stepped in for an injured BJ(they won @St. Louis, the defending SB Champs at the time)...then the dam broke open from there.

links18

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2454955 said:
If you guys remember Parcells left us late in the game therefore we basically had to scramble for what was out there. I remember reading an article on Whisenhunt being our #1 target but Parcells hadn't decided to stay or go back then. By time he did decide most of the top coaches already had jobs.

Saying all of that, I still think we came out pretty good by selecting Wade. We needed this defense fixed especially because we had all this 1st rd talent on it. It took him some time but I think he has done that.Now we have to see if he has grown as a HC and can he be a leader of men to not only get them playing well enough to get in the playoffs but once there make some noise as well. I just hope that St louis game dosn't come back to haunt us.

So all of a sudden then defense is fixed? Get back to us after the Pittsburgh and Giants game on that one. ;)

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
links18;2455194 said:
So all of a sudden then defense is fixed? Get back to us after the Pittsburgh and Giants game on that one. ;)
All of a sudden? Where 9th an total defense, 2nd in sacks, 10th against the run. I think since Wade has took over playcalling our defense is playing on another level.

Reaction score
links18;2455194 said:

Wade as done an excellent job since calling the plays on D!

Smith22

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2454671 said:
Yeah...and that's about the only mark against his otherwise good post history.

I would've been glad had Jerry hired ANYBODY other than Norv.

And the fact he declared our season all but over about 4 weeks ago.

Smith22

Reaction score
The post earlier was dead on. Norv is great as an OC, but he doesn't seem to be HC material. I don't know what it is, but his track record as a HC is not good, and that is being polite.

The Panch

Reaction score
Glad Jerry Hired Wade Not Turner!!!!..
Yeah, because taking his team to the Conference championship with half the stars in a wheel chair holds no candle to being 0-4 in the playoffs all time. ;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2455415 said:
Yeah, because taking his team to the Conference championship with half the stars in a wheel chair holds no candle to being 0-4 in the playoffs all time. ;)
How does being out of the playoff race compare to being in it?

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2455426 said:
How does being out of the playoff race compare to being in it?
How does going 3-1 in the season that matters compare to going 0-1 against a team you swept in the regular season?

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Norv is head coach material, but neither is Wade.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2454456 said:
Marty had some bad post-season luck. He coached the Browns when Elway was with Denver and lost two heartbreakers in the playoffs. Still, the Browns were very good and lost both times at the very end of the games. Can't blame Marty for the FUMBLE and Elway was just being Elway on The Drive. When he was with the Chiefs, he also had a lot of success, but post-season wins eluded him. During that time, the Bills were very good, as were the Broncos, Raiders, and numerous other teams. I don't think anyone can say Marty was a bad coach. Just a very unlucky one IMO.

tyke1doe;2454654 said:
:clap:

I always thought Marty Schottenheimer got a bum wrap. He lost against the Great Elway, and it wasn't his fault that the Chargers' defensive back allowed Troy Brown to strip him of the ball after an interception. :rolleyes:

His teams were always solid. And, yes, he didn't do more in the playoffs. But at least he got his teams there.

I agree with you guys for the most part. It was pathetic that he got fired from the the Chargers.

However, I have to take exception as far as his experience in KC. He cost them the chance to go to the SB. Elvis Grbac was injured during the season and Rich Gannon stepped in as QB. He was playing fantastic and won several games for them getting them to the playoffs. He and the WRs had a great rapport going and were totally in sync. Then (I believe it was for the AFC Championship game) Grbac says he is ready to play and Shotty pulls Gannon and starts Elvis. He blew chunks, and they lost the game. That was all on Shotty as far as I was concerned.

That being said, when you look at his total body of work, you can't deny he was a good coach.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2455438 said:
How does going 3-1 in the season that matters compare to going 0-1 against a team you swept in the regular season?

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Norv is head coach material, but neither is Wade.
Oh, I thought you might want to actually compare their entire body of work since we hired Wade, not just the part that favors your argument.

Guess not. Silly me, being too biased and all.

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2455450 said:
Oh, I thought you might want to actually compare their entire body of work since we hired Wade, not just the part that favors your argument.

Guess not. Silly me, being too biased and all.
Get over yourself. This thread was made based on what's going on this season and some people seem to forget what happened in January. You saw what we did without Romo for 3 games which is essentially what they've been doing without L.T. all season, so dont act like we wouldnt be in the same situation if Romo was playing at the level LT is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2455457 said:
Get over yourself. This thread was made based on what's going on this season and some people seem to forget what happened in January. You saw what we did without Romo for 3 games which is essentially what they've been doing without L.T. all season, so dont act like we wouldnt be in the same situation if Romo was playing at the level he is.
In football generally, losing a running back, even a HOF running back, is not nearly as detrimental as losing a QB, particularly the highest rated QB.

Besides, the biggest problem for San Diego has been the massive dropoff by their defense.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The Panch;2455457 said:
Get over yourself. This thread was made based on what's going on this season and some people seem to forget what happened in January.

:confused:

You saw what we did without Romo for 3 games which is essentially what they've been doing without L.T. all season, so dont act like we wouldnt be in the same situation if Romo was playing at the level LT is.
LT being banged up is the same as losing your starting QB?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
San Diego is in full melt-down mode.

The players are fed up with Norval, based on reports I've read and seen on TV today.

The Panch

Reaction score
theogt;2455461 said:
In football generally, losing a running back, even a HOF running back, is not nearly as detrimental as losing a QB, particularly the highest rated QB.

Besides, the biggest problem for San Diego has been the massive dropoff by their defense.
Which can partially be contributed to the loss of Shawne Merriman which is another reason to add for SD's downfall.

The Panch

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2455465 said:
:confused:

LT being banged up is the same as losing your starting QB?
The best player on your offense being practically non existent is close to losing your best offensive player. It's no different with Peyton in Indy. He may be there in body, but he's not there in production. The departures of Michael Turner and Lorenzo Neal played a major factor in LT's downfall.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief;2455495 said:
Yikes, is right.

It was reported this morning that Norval gave a "blistering" response to Osgood in front of the team because of that interview.

Good, he should have. I don't think I've ever seen a player go to the TV station studio just to trash the head coach like that. :eek: