Glazer: Cowboys LT Tyron Smith (ankle) will play, LG Tyler Smith (hamstring) won't play Week 1

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm surprised, I thought TJ Bass was way better, although he's been practicing his footwork for the right side.
I think he is better too, but I think they want to see what they have with the veteran in game 1.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Can someone just confirm who is the official back up with only left guard being replaced? We have a lot of flex in those backups.
Edoga is the official backup for both tackle positions. But Edoga also played Guard for the Falcons after flaming out as a tackle for the Jets.

Richards is the backup for left guard, but can also play left tackle. So, both Edoga and Richards can play either Tackle or Guard, but Richards has only practiced on the left side, while Edoga has practiced on both sides.

It will be interesting to see if Richards starts over Edoga on Sunday at Guard.

T.J. Bass has practiced primarily at Right Guard, and the Cowboys may be grooming him as a replacement for Martin when he retires. However, he is also being cross-trained at Center. Biadasz is in the last year of his contract, and there may not be enough money to go around next year if the Cowboys sign Lamb, Dak, and Micah Parsons to contract extensions. So, unless the Cowboys plan to spend a high pick to replace their Pro Bowl Center, Bass could be slotted to replace Biadasz in a year.

In the meantime, the Cowboys are carrying two low value centers on their practice squad - Brock Hoffman and Sean Harlow. Although Harlow has some minimal experience, starting only 8 games as an injury replacement over the past two seasons, most of his “experience” has been as an additional blocker on special teams. He’s also bounced back and forth between the practice squad and active roster throughout his 3 years in the NFL. Because Harlow just joined the Cowboys 2 weeks ago, Hoffman has been temporarily promoted to backup center for game 1, since he is more familiar with the playbook.

The Cowboys will likely use the allotted 6 weeks to try out both Harlow and Hoffman as the game day backup center for the first 6 games. The Cowboys have a bye week for the 7th week of the season. If Bass is not ready to backup Biadasz by week 8 (game 7), the Cowboys will have to permanently promote either Hoffman or Harlow to the 53-man roster, forcing them to cut another player or put an injured player on the IR list.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Edoga is the official backup for both tackle positions. But Edoga also played Guard for the Falcons after flaming out as a tackle for the Jets.

Richards is the backup for left guard, but can also play left tackle. So, both Edoga and Richards can play either Tackle or Guard, but Richards has only practiced on the left side, while Edoga has practiced on both sides.

T.J. Bass has practiced primarily at Right Guard, and the Cowboys may be grooming him as a replacement for Martin when he retires. However, he is also being cross-trained at Center. Biadasz is in the last year of his contract, and there may not be enough money to go around next year if the Cowboys sign Lamb, Dak, and Micah Parsons to contract extensions. So, unless the Cowboys plan to spend a high pick to replace their Pro Bowl Center, Bass could be slotted to replace Biadasz in a year.

In the meantime, the Cowboys are carrying two low value centers on their practice squad - Brock Hoffman and Sean Harlow. Although Harlow has some minimal experience, starting only 8 games as an injury replacement over the past two seasons. Most of his “experience” has been as an additional blocker on special teams. Since Harlow just joined the Cowboys 2 weeks ago, Hoffman has been temporarily promoted to backup center for game 1. The Cowboys will likely use the allotted 6 weeks to try out both Harlow and Hoffman as the game day backup center for the first 6 games. The Cowboys have a bye week for the 7th week of the season. If Bass is not ready to backup Biadasz by week 8 (game 7), the Cowboys will have to permanently promote either Hoffman or Harlow to the 53-man roster, forcing them to cut another player or put an injured player on the IR list.
? The fellas at the beginning of thread are saying it's confirmed from Cowboys that Edoga is the starter, not Richards.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
? The fellas at the beginning of thread are saying it's confirmed from Cowboys that Edoga is the starter, not Richards.
That may be the case, but if Edoga becomes a turnstile, expect Richards to replace him. My personal opinion is that Richards played tackle much better than he played guard in preseason. So it makes sense that with Tyler Smith out, and Tyron Smith questionable, the Cowboys may keep Richards is reserve in case he needs to replace Tyron during the game.

While many may believe that Bass, who also played Left Tackle in college, might be a better backup at both guard positions, he only played on the right side during training camp. Since he’s also cross training at Center, the Cowboys may feel as though he’s already got enough on his plate, without cross training at left tackle.

Last edited:

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score

In the meantime, the Cowboys are carrying two low value centers on their practice squad - Brock Hoffman and Sean Harlow. Although Harlow has some minimal experience, starting only 8 games as an injury replacement over the past two seasons, most of his “experience” has been as an additional blocker on special teams. He’s also bounced back and forth between the practice squad and active roster throughout his 3 years in the NFL. Because Harlow just joined the Cowboys 2 weeks ago, Hoffman has been temporarily promoted to backup center for game 1, since he is more familiar with the playbook.

The Cowboys will likely use the allotted 6 weeks to try out both Harlow and Hoffman as the game day backup center for the first 6 games. The Cowboys have a bye week for the 7th week of the season. If Bass is not ready to backup Biadasz by week 8 (game 7), the Cowboys will have to permanently promote either Hoffman or Harlow to the 53-man roster, forcing them to cut another player or put an injured player on the IR list.
Incredible reply.
Love the knowledge, but it must be boring already knowing all about the team :laugh:

quickccc

Reaction score
I think that they are starting Chuma because he is a veteran and it's the first game.
Seems like we all are reaching for possible answers ... I'm waiting to see/hear a tweet alert
from a more reliable Todd Archer .. Jon Machota, or Michael Gelkin to make it close as official as possible.

shabazz

Reaction score
It means that I had a typo for Tyron.... and that I knew Steele was injured last season, but was unsure of his status, since he didn't play that much in preseason. Yes, I could have looked at other websites and bypassed the welcoming comments, but I just wanted a quick answer. Thanks to all! Glad to know that Steele is available if Tyron aggravates his injury in the first quarter, now back to work for me.
Grammar police went all up in ya……..kind of creepy but I guess somebody feels like they have to do.

Eh, to each their own.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Anyone have the number of consecutive games we’ve played without our projected starting OL? Has to be around 20 or so

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that Tyler is now our strongest lineman?
Doubt that Tyler is the strongest olineman. Usually takes an olineman a few years to grow into their full strength, and Tyler is our youngest starter.

Pure power is something that grows and lasts in an olineman, and we've got two HOF credible olinemen. It's agility that goes as players age, not power.

CWR

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that Tyler is now our strongest lineman? Never really heard the current team talk about it, just who is the fastest. Tyron has lost some stuff but still a beast when healthy. Zack’s specialty is technique. Wouldn’t consider it Steele, and definitely not Biadasz. Larry was probably still the strongest one on the line until he left but he’s also a first ballot HOFer.

I dont believe we will get stronger than LA. He had legitimate power lifter strength.

rambo2

Reaction score
Seems like we all are reaching for possible answers ... I'm waiting to see/hear a tweet alert
from a more reliable Todd Archer .. Jon Machota, or Michael Gelkin to make it close as official as possible.
Stephen said thar Chuma would start a couple of days ago.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Stephen said Chuma.
Don't know why we didn't resign Peters. He still wants to play. He was a quality starter at *multiple* positions last year. I'd take him as the gameday backup at 4 positions over all our other backups, including Chuma.

Once we didn't draft interior oline high, signing Peters was a no brainer. Still is. Especially if we're trying to make a run this year, which seems to be the case.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it safe to say that Tyler is now our strongest lineman? Never really heard the current team talk about it, just who is the fastest. Tyron has lost some stuff but still a beast when healthy. Zack’s specialty is technique. Wouldn’t consider it Steele, and definitely not Biadasz. Larry was probably still the strongest one on the line until he left but he’s also a first ballot HOFer.
Tyler Smith might be the most powerful player in the league...Tyron is likely still the king of the Cowboys weight room, but Tyler plays with more on-field power.

During training camp, McCarthy said "Tyler does some things...physically...that you just don't see".

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Tyler Smith might be the most powerful player in the league...Tyron is likely still the king of the Cowboys weight room, but Tyler plays with more on-field power.

During training camp, McCarthy said "Tyler does some things...physically...that you just don't see".
That’s how I’m envisioning it too. But doesn’t seem like we ever get videos of the fellas going toe-to-toe on that since Larry left. No one interested I guess after we had a lineman who benches 18-wheelers for breakfast.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
It means that I had a typo for Tyron.... and that I knew Steele was injured last season, but was unsure of his status, since he didn't play that much in preseason. Yes, I could have looked at other websites and bypassed the welcoming comments, but I just wanted a quick answer. Thanks to all! Glad to know that Steele is available if Tyron aggravates his injury in the first quarter, now back to work for me.
Funny, I thought you were referring to the Erika Badu song Tyrone. Kinda fits.