Glenn must play inside on nickel and quarters

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Just my opinion. Glenn is a very valuable addition to this defense but I think teams will go after him on the outside. He had a hand in Moss's three big catches. Does anyone else feel that T-New should be playing outside and move Glenn to slot?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER said:
Just my opinion. Glenn is a very valuable addition to this defense but I think teams will go after him on the outside. He had a hand in Moss's three big catches. Does anyone else feel that T-New should be playing outside and move Glenn to slot?
I believe Glenn played his position perfectly...staying to the outside and deep, taking away the fly and the corner routes...Roy had only one job in the defense on both TD's...stay deep middle, deeper than the receiver...Roy, for all his greatness, was responsible on both TD's, and only Parcells can let him off the hook in my mind.

dstew60105

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I believe Glenn played his position perfectly...staying to the outside and deep, taking away the fly and the corner routes...Roy had only one job in the defense on both TD's...stay deep middle, deeper than the receiver...Roy, for all his greatness, was responsible on both TD's, and only Parcells can let him off the hook in my mind.

Agreed slightly. Glenn should have bumped him off the line and redirected his route towards the middle of the field. He just let Moss(one of the fastest players in the league) run right by him. To make matters worse, Roy was late.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
You can protect the fly and still be close to the WR to make a play. For some odd reason Glenn also let Moss get a step on him. There should be no reason Moss gets behind either Glenn or Roy.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Agreed. The Commanders weren't picking on Glenn on those TD passes. It was somebody else.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER said:

One of the reasons Parcells signed Glenn was so Newman could play the slot.

wileedog

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Yeah, man. Let's just cut Roy. It's all his fault. ;)

Or feed him a biscuit or two and move him to LB already and be done with it.

Because I guarantee you the rest of the teams on our schedule just put an asterisk next to that skinny post in their playbook.

Justis

Reaction score
No question, Glenn should play the nickel or at least the other side, and let Henry take the nickel, Newman is to good of a CB to waist on the third best WR. Also, kill Zimmer for that weak zone D of his.

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
If you ask me this entire thread is discussing a moot point.

First Parcells doesn't want a player as small as Glenn in the slot but for the sake of argument let's say he puts him there, what is keeping Washington from lining Moss up in the slot. So no matter where Glenn lines up the offense can still get the matchups it wants by repositioning it's receivers.

Second Roy has enough speed to play the safety position, just a few plays before the first touchdown he was in position and should have had a interception on a very similar play. In my opinion he's weakness is in his play recognition because he sometimes reacts a split second too late when in pass coverage. The cure for play recognition is experience and the classroom, he's come out and accepted the blame for blowing his assignments now he needs to put in what ever hours it takes to make sure he's prepared.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You can't bump and redirect if you are not playing press coverage, and there is no way he is going to play press coverage that late in the game. If he plays press coverage and Moss gets to the outside there is no help. He played off and kept him to the inside like he was supposed to. He reaccted a little slow after that IMO but he was not to redirect him off the line with a bump.

Wood

Reaction score
it shouldn't be a matter of position but a matter of personnel. If Jerry Rice lines up in the slot - Deion should have covered him. If Rice lines up on the outside - Deion should have covered him. Same thing with Commanders game - Wherever Moss (their fastest receiver) went - thats where Neumann should have lined up. There is no good reason that Neumann should EVER be lined up to cover Chris Cooley.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Wood said:
it shouldn't be a matter of position but a matter of personnel. If Jerry Rice lines up in the slot - Deion should have covered him. If Rice lines up on the outside - Deion should have covered him. Same thing with Commanders game - Wherever Moss (their fastest receiver) went - thats where Neumann should have lined up. There is no good reason that Neumann should EVER be lined up to cover Chris Cooley.

Man where is that....

....found it

:hammer:

I dont understand how people can disagree with this reasoning.

- Mike G.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I dont understand how people can disagree with this.

Because its a gross oversimplification.

Playing slot and playing outside CB are not the same animal, anymore than playing inside and outside linebacker are the same animal. There are different reads, different keys and different responsibilities.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Because its an oversimplification.

Playing slot and playing outside CB are not the same animal, anymore than playing inside and outside linebacker are the same animal. There are different reads, different keys and different responsibilities.

I am very aware of this fact. Some corners cannot play both sides in the NFL. But it still doesnt take of the big pink elephant in the room? Why is Glenn playing on the outside? That is the position Newman played all last year and it would not have hurt to put him out their once we were beaten the first time.

I beleive DBair said he re-watched the game and they didnt line Moss up outside until he gashed Glenn the first time.

On the outside, you have the sidelines to help you out and with a nice Corner like Henry and Newman, they could work that to their advantage and let Roy or Davis focus on the Deep Middle, like Roy seems to want to do anyway.

- Mike G.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If your the RCB/LCB with deep help, you should be up in coverage and ready to bump the WR. However, if you only have help to the inside, then you play off and protect the deep corner. This would mean that Roy had responsability for only the intermediate deep zone. If this is the case, then the other safety needs to get over. More of a traditional 3 deep coverage with one safety rolling to the intermediate. That would mean that we should have seen another safety coming over but there was no sign of this. Roy Blew his coverage. No other way to put that. It's stupid to play the CB 10 yards off if you know he's the only guy who can beat you with speed. You play man press coverage with safety help over the top. You tell everybody on the field that you have a 13 point lead with 5 to go. You don't worry about the 10 yard completion. You play a zone all over the filed except on Moss. You send all for DLs and a LB to create pressure. You keep one LB home to spy or delay blitz, (whichever), or you play two of your LBs off and have them take deep drops. Esentially, you give up the backs and receivers short. Your trading yardage for time. You make them use 5 or 6 plays get into the red zone. You shorten the field and eliminate the speed advantage you get with Moss. When the field shrinks, you use a more conventional defensive set around the goal. If you give up the TD, you probably do it with 2 minutes left on the clock and you get the ball back. If you have to punt, you probably leave 30 seconds on the clock. You play a dime package and eventually prevent. The opportunity is not there for the Skinz to score two quick TDs.

We all know this. It just astounds me that we didn't do it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I am very aware of this fact. Some corners cannot play both sides in the NFL. But it still doesnt take of the big pink elephant in the room? Why is Glenn playing on the outside? That is the position Newman played all last year and it would not have hurt to put him out their once we were beaten the first time.

Because it wasn't Glenn that was beaten. Newman couldn't cover Santana Moss on a skinny post down the field man on man either. No CB in the league could. That's why you have safeties who line up 15 yards off the line of scrimmage to stand in that spot.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
LOL. So CBs get the benefit of the doubt, i.e. whose sole job is to be a cover guy, and is generally one of the fastest players on your team, if not the fastest, but a strong safety doesn't. That really makes sense.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Believe me... teams now know where Glenn will be and they will go after him. We have T.O. and R. Moss coming up amongst others and Glenn on the outside makes me a little leary but then again maybe were not having this convo... if Roy makes the pick on third or starts or positions himself a little better.