Glenn must play inside on nickel and quarters

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne_motley said:
I believe Glenn played his position perfectly...staying to the outside and deep, taking away the fly and the corner routes...Roy had only one job in the defense on both TD's...stay deep middle, deeper than the receiver...Roy, for all his greatness, was responsible on both TD's, and only Parcells can let him off the hook in my mind.

Well said. Roy was a much bigger problem than what Glenn was.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
If your the RCB/LCB with deep help, you should be up in coverage and ready to bump the WR. However, if you only have help to the inside, then you play off and protect the deep corner. This would mean that Roy had responsability for only the intermediate deep zone. If this is the case, then the other safety needs to get over. More of a traditional 3 deep coverage with one safety rolling to the intermediate. That would mean that we should have seen another safety coming over but there was no sign of this. Roy Blew his coverage. No other way to put that. It's stupid to play the CB 10 yards off if you know he's the only guy who can beat you with speed. You play man press coverage with safety help over the top. You tell everybody on the field that you have a 13 point lead with 5 to go. You don't worry about the 10 yard completion. You play a zone all over the filed except on Moss. You send all for DLs and a LB to create pressure. You keep one LB home to spy or delay blitz, (whichever), or you play two of your LBs off and have them take deep drops. Esentially, you give up the backs and receivers short. Your trading yardage for time. You make them use 5 or 6 plays get into the red zone. You shorten the field and eliminate the speed advantage you get with Moss. When the field shrinks, you use a more conventional defensive set around the goal. If you give up the TD, you probably do it with 2 minutes left on the clock and you get the ball back. If you have to punt, you probably leave 30 seconds on the clock. You play a dime package and eventually prevent. The opportunity is not there for the Skinz to score two quick TDs.

We all know this. It just astounds me that we didn't do it.

Nice post ABQ.

You're 100% right Roy blew his coverage responsibilites.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THEHEREAFTER said:
Believe me... teams now know where Glenn will be and they will go after him. We have T.O. and R. Moss coming up amongst others and Glenn on the outside makes me a little leary but then again maybe were not having this convo... if Roy makes the pick on third or starts or positions himself a little better.

It's not a "Glenn" problem as much as it is a "Roy Williams in coverage" problem.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Because it wasn't Glenn that was beaten.

He didn't do much to help, either.

Newman couldn't cover Santana Moss on a skinny post down the field man on man either. No CB in the league could.

If it was a simple skinny post, I'm certain Newman could have stayed with him. Newman's 60-meter times in college were faster, and his times at the Combine were faster.

Wood

Reaction score
Parcells just said on PC that it really wasn't Roy Williams play to make - take it for what its worth.

jay cee

Reaction score
I'll say this, Roy Williams should not have let the receiver get deeper than him on those plays. But IMO, Glenn did nothing but stay far enough on the outside to insure that Moss could not get outside of him. That's not good coverage to me.

Moss still had free reign to sprint down the field as fast as he could without any interference.

I think Williams and Glenn performed poorly on those plays. And I think Newman should have been the one out there covering that side.

If Moss had been moved to the slot, Glenn would have been able to cover him differently. There was a lot more congestion on that side of the field, and I don't think he would have had the opportunity to take off like he was running a 60 yard dash.