Glenn "stretch" destroying Jaylon Smith

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why is it incredibly stupid. The picture shows VERY clearly where the ball was in relation to Cooper. That photo shows all you need to know, unless you want to stick your head in the ground and say it's all Dak's fault.

Anybody who knows anything about football will look at that picture and tell you he should have caught it.

What do you think Micheal Irvin would say? Jerry Rice? Randy Moss? It was a bad throw by the QB? :laugh:
Can someone post actual video, showing that Cooper is moving laterally in comparison to the direction of the ball, and that while moving forward, he had to twist his body to the side just to get his hands on it? I agree, he should've caught it, but I also agree that he shouldn't have had to contort himself to do so.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Should have been caught. I mean the ball was literally going to his body. You sure it was NFL Network where DJ a former QB stated 2 ints weren't his fault. You were probably listening to the broad on there that doesn't know football and just wants to push dumb narrative.

Was that a good pass in your opinion?

Reaction score
Still photo is better than the video they were watching?
I didn't even say that they said Cooper "can't be expected to catch that ball".
Bad pass making a much more difficult, but catch-able ball.

Is it not true that had Dak thrown a better ball allowing Cooper to catch it in stride it is likely a completion and very possibly a TD?

Dak doesn't get a pass on that just because Cooper couldn't make the difficult catch.
You are saying that every single throw has to be pure perfection to expect a WR to catch a ball. Otherwise it's on the QB. It has to be in the bread basket Every. Single. Time.

That's frankly.....silly.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nonsense. A professional receiver has to make that catch. Passes are NOT always in the easy spots.

Agree and I’m not a Dak homer..

Ball hit both of his hands.. Gotta catch that. Not everything is going to be 100% perfect. A 90% perfect throw that hits both hands should be good enough.

Coopers tipped INT and stumbling when he has 2 yards of separation behind the receivers cost us 14 points.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why is it incredibly stupid. The picture shows VERY clearly where the ball was in relation to Cooper. That photo shows all you need to know, unless you want to stick your head in the ground and say it's all Dak's fault.

Anybody who knows anything about football will look at that picture and tell you he should have caught it.

What do you think Micheal Irvin would say when they look at that picture? Jerry Rice? Randy Moss? It was a bad throw by the QB? :laugh:

Because a still photo doesn't show the velocity of the pass, how much Cooper had to shift his body mid-route to make the catch. You, and most people here, understand how much more difficult it is to catch a pass when your legs are going full speed in one direction and you need to twist your body on a freakin' dime to catch a ball behind you. Was it "catchable", a lot of difficult passes are catchable, it doesn't change the fact that it's a difficult catch.

Let's just focus on this though - EVEN IF Cooper dropped the ball and it hit him in stride, that doesn't end up an interception. It drops to the ground, because it was behind Cooper, it ended up an INT. Have some of you just gone insane with the fan club? What is happening here? This shouldn't be as debatable as some here are making it. It's the same thing if you throw a ball a little too high, even if it's "catchable", it still runs the risk of being tipped and then it becomes a drill to who can get under it.

This whole "if you get two hands on it, you should catch it" - it's the same thing for QBs needed to hit a WR in stride. This goes for every other route, you wouldn't excuse a QB who underthrows a WR that has a step or two on a corner on a post route, would you? Hit the freakin' receiver in stride.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You are saying that every single throw has to be pure perfection to expect a WR to catch a ball. Otherwise it's on the QB. It has to be in the bread basket Every. Single. Time.

Nobody said that. If the pass was contested, it's one thing. Cooper clearly beat his man, he had a step on him, THAT pass needs to be accurate. There is no excuse to throw it behind.

starfan1

Reaction score
Imagine that its a thread about our linebacker Jaylon smith and we cant even get a whole page in before it turns into another dak Thread. Lets face it people no matter how hard you try to convince folks its not going to change. If you didnt like Romo you could find ways and stats to support your stance the same can be said with dak and Zeke and Lawrence and Garrett and Marinelli and which ever name you want to throw in there

its gotten pathetically bad that Cowboy fans cant even talk to one another about the team without being so inflexible .This team has a wide variety of issues and they simply take turns popping up. The biggest I see is a line thats both unhealthy and greatly over rated.

Reaction score
Because a still photo doesn't show the velocity of the pass, how much Cooper had to shift his body mid-route to make the catch. You, and most people here, understand how much more difficult it is to catch a pass when your legs are going full speed in one direction and you need to twist your body on a freakin' dime to catch a ball behind you. Was it "catchable", a lot of difficult passes are catchable, it doesn't change the fact that it's a difficult catch.

Let's just focus on this though - EVEN IF Cooper dropped the ball and it hit him in stride, that doesn't end up an interception. It drops to the ground, because it was behind Cooper, it ended up an INT. Have some of you just gone insane with the fan club? What is happening here? This shouldn't be as debatable as some here are making it. It's the same thing if you throw a ball a little too high, even if it's "catchable", it still runs the risk of being tipped and then it becomes a drill to who can get under it.

This whole "if you get two hands on it, you should catch it" - it's the same thing for QBs needed to hit a WR in stride. This goes for every other route, you wouldn't excuse a QB who underthrows a WR that has a step or two on a corner on a post route, would you? Hit the freakin' receiver in stride.
smh.

OK dude. That pass was way too hard to for a guy making $14M a year to catch. Nobody could have made that play. Just too bad of a pass. You go with that.

I'm not sure what fan club you are talking about. The Dak fan club? I've hammered Dak plenty around here. But not on that throw. Again, I call it as I see it. I don't have an agenda, unlike you and countless others.

Reaction score
Imagine that its a thread about our linebacker Jaylon smith and we cant even get a whole page in before it turns into another dak Thread. Lets face it people no matter how hard you try to convince folks its not going to change. If you didnt like Romo you could find ways and stats to support your stance the same can be said with dak and Zeke and Lawrence and Garrett and Marinelli and which ever name you want to throw in there

its gotten pathetically bad that Cowboy fans cant even talk to one another about the team without being so inflexible .This team has a wide variety of issues and they simply take turns popping up. The biggest I see is a line thats both unhealthy and greatly over rated.
Yep.

People simply will never get over the Romo thing. And I loved Romo. I've just been able to move on.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
(in bold ^^^) Dak's throw was not behind Cooper. Take a look. It hit Cooper on his left chest. Cooper should have caught it. Even Aikman said so. The problem is Cooper "gator armed" it, meaning he didn't extend his arms out and catch it with his hands. Instead, he let the ball reach him but he kept his arms tucked in close to his chest, thus making it difficult for he to catch it. That was on Cooper, not Dak.

Right I heard Troy say that and that should be the end of the discussion about this pass by Dak.. Coop definitely should have caught that ball. The pass had some heat behind it but yeah..

mattjames2010

Reaction score
smh.

OK dude. That pass was way too hard to for a guy making $14M a year to catch. Nobody could have made that play. Just too bad of a pass. You go with that.

I'm not sure what fan club you are talking about. The Dak fan club? I've hammered Dak plenty around here. But not on that throw. Again, I call it as I see it. I don't have an agenda, unlike you and countless others.

Whatever a player makes means absolutely nothing to what makes what should be an easy pass more difficult to catch. You're not even making an argument, stick to posting the cheesy laughing emojis. That's what you're best at.

Nobody stated the play couldn't be made, I was the one who made the post about Cooper's hands just a week ago! Bad pass + bad hands = bad outcome. I'm not entirely sure the difficulty here, Dak's not going to see this, bro. it's okay, you can criticize him.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
This means nothing in relation to the argument..he hit Cooper in the hands..period
Cooper had to go against his momentum and across his body - not saying he prob shouldn't catch it - but its not like its an easy catch.

If he leads on most of those throws, he'll complete more than throwing behind.

kumizi

Reaction score
Says that ball that was thrown slightly behind Cooper (went for Int) has to be completed 100 out of 100 times if he is gonna get paid franchise money. Says its an easy throw with tons of time. Just needs to step into it and throw simple post and its TD.
Thank God someone else with some football sense saw this. 90% of the people I saw posting here didn't think that was a bad throw by Dak.

He's right about Jaylon also.

I don't do podcasts but I might have to start listening to this one.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Base what on?

The criticisms of PFF ratings isn't something new. You can google it and find many criticisms of what they do and how they grade players.

As for Peters? I live up here in the Philly area and their fans were surprised he was named the 2nd best LT thus far. He's not been playing great for them to date. In fact, in their Top 10 OL, they had 3 Eagles despite the fact through four games, the Eagles OL really hadn't been all that good.

So I have long said PFF isn't something I put a ton of value in, at least their "grading" system. I think they, along with places like Football Outsiders, do nice statistical work that has some value.

Most of the criticism is without merit and stems from a lack of understanding about what PFF is measuring. In a nutshell, they are measuring consistency of play vs peers at the same position. They are not measuring greatness b/c that is something that can't be measured. DLAW may be grading lower in any particular game, but his presence on the field effects the game and the opposing teams blocking packages. You can't quantify that effect. Same with Zeke. He may be toiling for 4 YPC, but his presence on the field opens things up for Dak down field ( at least in theory). So, while an Eagles fan may think Jason Peters isn't playing that well, they may have a hard time naming someone playing better on a consistent basis. Peters is currently 8th and Lane Johnson is 9th. Not shocking considering both are perennial pro bowl players.

PFF grades every player on every play and the folks doing the grading know football, and when they are done grading every week, they run the grades by an organization of former and current NFL head coaches who consult and verify the grades for accuracy. So, it is legions better than the collective recollections of most fans. It is a very smart way of tracking performance. "Dumb" stats are very misleading. For example, do you think Dak should have been dinged with an INT on that throw that bounced off Coopers hands? PFF will ding Cooper's grade for that play not Dak. So the grades give context to the stats which gives a more accurate picture of how somebody played overall.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

That's how you interpreted what I wrote?
That is..... silly

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL
I'm off work today and it's been pouring all day so I'm stuck inside. Been watching/listening football all day. Not one single pundit has agreed with your take. Not one. To a person its been said that it was a bad pass behind the receiver forcing him to reach back for it.

The only place I've heard it is all on Cooper is here. That includes the live radio broadcast I was listening to the beginning of the game on.

Have you ever caught a football?
Yes, and I guarantee I would school you personally when it comes to football.

fifaguy

Reaction score
All year I've been seeing Jaylon and LVE take terrible angles and miss tackles. Other teams are exploiting their aggressiveness time and time again, with no adjustments being made.

kumizi

Reaction score
(in bold ^^^) Dak's throw was not behind Cooper. Take a look. It hit Cooper on his left chest. Cooper should have caught it. Even Aikman said so. The problem is Cooper "gator armed" it, meaning he didn't extend his arms out and catch it with his hands. Instead, he let the ball reach him but he kept his arms tucked in close to his chest, thus making it difficult for he to catch it. That was on Cooper, not Dak.

lololololol

Look at his lower body. He had to do a reverse 180 to his left for the ball to hit his hands. Most receivers have that ball fly behind their body. Can't tell if you people are blind or that invested in Dak.

visionary

Reaction score

Your own picture shows his body is twisted because the pass was behind him while he is running full tilt. Do you have any idea how tough that is?