GMFB-Nate Burleson & Kyle Brant:Is Dak Prescott the most important player on the Cowboys?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
99 times out of 100 a guy who looks like a stiff IS a stiff. Expecting 2017's 4th rated passer in Conference USA to take an NFL team to the playoffs is some crazytown stuff.
But we play the Giants and Commanders twice. Then we play the AFC east. That's seven wins right there with Jamile Showers at QB.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Dak is our most important player, and it’s not close. The NFL is all about the QB. The drop off from Dak to our backups is huge. There is a reason we went 4-12 in 2015.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's out then it just depends on the quality of the backup QB.

The wheels wont fall off like it did with Romo because this team is not as QB dependent as Romo's teams were.

It absolutely will. Don’t kid yourself. There’s no evidence that either backup option is even competent much less capable.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because we would be fine with Cooper Rush?

Probably not but is because Cooper Rush isn’t good and no team would be fine with him.

I don’t know what Mike White is but he has some arm talent for sure.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's not even a defense of Dak to say that the bench scrub who was the 4th rated QB in a chump conference in his last season in college is probably not serious NFL quarterback material. It's just observing the super duper obvious.

The degree to which some of you guys are suckers for any backup QB, no matter how lame his background, is genuinely hilarious. No, it's not true that any numbnuts can lead an NFL team to 10-6 or even 8-8.

Cowboys fans are also infamous for hilariously overrating their roster right before the team goes 8-8.

This is a team that hasn't had two 10+ win seasons in a row since 1995-1996.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably not but is because Cooper Rush isn’t good and no team would be fine with him.

I don’t know what Mike White is but he has some arm talent for sure.

Right, but part of attaching value to any player is taking a look at the alternatives and determining the consequences of not having that player. How valuable players are to a team isn't as simple as coming up with a ranking of the best players. You have to look at who the team can least afford to lose. Reasonable people can disagree about who that player would be, but any reasonable person would at least put Dak in the conversation.

Little Jr

Reaction score
TAKE Dak out of the line up and we wouldn't win 4 games. Leave Dak in and take Zeke out, we MIGHT win 7-8 games. Zeke is worth at least 2-4 wins. Need them both.
Zeke MIGHT be worh 2 but probably 1. That's with a avg an avg back up. Quality back up, he might be worth .5 a game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The QB is always the most important. We've chosen to try to win without a good one. To build such a strong supporting cast that even a stiff can win with them.

If the Cowboys had a real QB they'd be everybody's favorite to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl this season. Instead they're considered like 5-8 in the Conference. That's the impact of a QB.

Last edited:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Dak is a pretty good QB. That automatically makes him more valuable than a player at any other position. Think we win 13, 9, and 10 games without him the last few years?
With the same staff that couldn't win a single game on their own without Romo in 2015?
Washington practically gifted them the one "win" they had without him that year because Jackson fumbled on a punt return IIRC.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Right, but part of attaching value to any player is taking a look at the alternatives and determining the consequences of not having that player. How valuable players are to a team isn't as simple as coming up with a ranking of the best players. You have to look at who the team can least afford to lose. Reasonable people can disagree about who that player would be, but any reasonable person would at least put Dak in the conversation.

Well there is a reward for being bad and that’s a high draft pick.

A year of being awful brought us Zeke.

I’m down for another awful year if it’s brings us a talented QB on a rookie contract.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well there is a reward for being bad and that’s a high draft pick.

A year of being awful brought us Zeke.

I’m down for another awful year if it’s brings us a talented QB on a rookie contract.
And then the next year we can dump Zeke to undermine that season so we can get a top pick for a new RB on a rookie contract ... of course with that philosophy we never take a stand and give ourselves a chance.

And then there is that big word ... “If”. But what “if” we were to end up with someone like Blake Bortles or EJ Manuel or Ryan Tannehill or Marcus Mariota or RG III? All top 10 draft picks, but the kind of players that would set the organization back. Besides, I don’t buy the notion that a good way to build a team is by intentionally undermining it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Zeke is a very important player, but I think Dak is just as important. You can't run the ball every play. Thus, Dak is very much a key factor for us. If he's having a bad game, Zeke may not be able.to help us. See the Colts game. If Dak is on, then we are in great shape. See the Jaguars game.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I say no..

Zeke is.

But everybody has their favorites.

DAK is exceeding Romo I admit but not sure if his shortcomings can be overcome.

With the right offense, Dak can take us all the way. He needs to keep improving and use his legs. Zeke is important, but without Dak making plays, he can't carry carry us alone. Dak has his flaws, but they ain't fatal flaws. I really liked Romo. He did some amazing things, but he didn't know when to turn off the gunslinging and play it safe.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I say no..

Zeke is.

But everybody has their favorites.

DAK is exceeding Romo I admit but not sure if his shortcomings can be overcome.

I saw this the other day and one key thing I heard is that they said that they think Jerry is trying to figure out what to pay Dak because he is weighing in how much of Daks success is him and how much of Daks success is the team around him. This could be great news if Jerry finally realizes that this team is carrying Dak and that it is possible to have the same success with a backup QB like Keenum or Bortles.