Video: GMFB-Peter Schrager worried that Dak signs a new deal or fireworks go off

cristglo

Reaction score
Dallas has one of the youngest and cheapest rosters in the NFL and almost 100M in cap space next year. They could probably sign two Dak Prescotts before cap gymnastics would be required to sign the other big names.

By 2021, 30M will be pretty average pay for a QB that actually wins games. There are already QBs who dont win games that make as much or close to that figure. Wouldnt surprise me if Mahomes' next contract is 40-45M+, it's just the nature of the game right now.
According to Overthecap Dallas will have almost $75 mil next year that will not take in account for Daks contract if he signs for 30 million. We will still be in pretty good shape but if they decide to lock up Amari, Zeke and Jaylon that $ 75 million will go quickly.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There are "fireworks" that happen in every negotiation that I've witnessed.

It's actually the nature of the beast for that to customarily happen over $$.

You have those intent upon getting it and others intent upon preserving it.

That causes me to wonder just how many negotiations Shrager has seen.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Which stat line is more important the wins or the 238?
Tom Brady's second year in the league he averaged close to 238 a game. Pat's won it all that year. So the wins are more important.

With that being said the front office and coaches approach (philosophy)is what might be holding this team back.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to the winning and stability he brings to the QB position he deserves it. But looking at the stat line (238 yds) he doesn't. I have no horse in this race.

Is that 238 his passing YPG?
Aikman averaged 199 YPG
Montana a whopping 211YPG

I guess they sucked. And yes you can compare the different times. Football is football. They still run balanced gamelans in the NFL.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't understand the point. Dallas is going to have to shed a lot of players in the future if Kirk Cousins, er, I mean Dak Prescott is getting 30m. They are setting themselves up for a 1 year go at it and then years of cap hell with a team that really can't compete. Why do it? Dak is under contract for this year. If you are setting yourself up for failure in the long term, why not just go at it this year and then blow the team up? Maybe we could hope to be competitive in a few years instead of just waiting for Dak's contract to expire and rebuilding then.

I don't think this is accurate. First, many of the key players are already under contract for a number of years (Lawrnece, Frederick, Martin, Smith). Second, some other key players still have time on rookie contracts (LVE, Awuzie). Third, as always, some older contracts will fade out and young players will come in. And fourth, the salary cap increases all the time. The real key is for the team to keep drafting well so the need for high priced free agents is limited.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Is that 238 his passing YPG?
Aikman averaged 199 YPG
Montana a whopping 211YPG

I guess they sucked. And yes you can compare the different times. Football is football. They still run balanced gamelans in the NFL.
I have no horse in this race basically means I have no control of what the Cowboys do. If they pay Dak or dont pay him that's on them. But I'm just saying I see both sides of the Dak argument. Many QB's in this league have won Superbowls that were way worst than Dak.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
You seem to think very highly of your opinion on how to manage the Cowboy's salary cap. To me, you just sound like a bloviating idiot that doesn't have the first clue on the ins and outs of how to manage an NFL salary cap. I'll go with what the FO is doing and just continue to lmao when you post. Thanks for the laughs. :p

Lol. Man, someone is cranky.

I guess I have been a fan of the Cowboys for a long time. I've seen all of the cap mismanagement over the past few decades and how its consistently hurt the on field product. Many of you are more than willing to assume that the cowboys have learned their lessons and become salary cap geniuses. I have been burned too many times to just assume they have a great plan in place. The numbers really aren't there fundamentally. Unless the cap continues to skyrocket, the Cowboys will have to let players go as a result of this deal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Lol. Man, someone is cranky.

I guess I have been a fan of the Cowboys for a long time. I've seen all of the cap mismanagement over the past few decades and how its consistently hurt the on field product. Many of you are more than willing to assume that the cowboys have learned their lessons and become salary cap geniuses. I have been burned too many times to just assume they have a great plan in place. The numbers really aren't there fundamentally. Unless the cap continues to skyrocket, the Cowboys will have to let players go as a result of this deal.
I've been wondering if I want to waste time explaining to you how the cap works but I've decided to pass and let you continue to think Dak will bankrupt the team. Good luck with that opinion and have a great rest of your life. Meanwhile, I'll just sit back and enjoy watching the Cowboys pay the man and still have enough cap space to pay all the right players and keep this well-oiled machine running.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I really don't understand the point. Dallas is going to have to shed a lot of players in the future if Kirk Cousins, er, I mean Dak Prescott is getting 30m. They are setting themselves up for a 1 year go at it and then years of cap hell with a team that really can't compete. Why do it? Dak is under contract for this year. If you are setting yourself up for failure in the long term, why not just go at it this year and then blow the team up? Maybe we could hope to be competitive in a few years instead of just waiting for Dak's contract to expire and rebuilding then.

Not singling you out, but I see Dak bashers have stopped the Tim Tebow comparisons in favor of Kirk Cousins now. There's no comparison. Cousins was 26-30-1 as a starter in Washington and the Vikings payed him obscene money anyway. And wow, a Cousins- led Vikings team failed to make the playoffs in 2018. Shocking.

Dak has flaws but he wins. That's the difference. When the chips are down Cousins finds a way to fail while Dak finds a way to come through. I have watched football long enough to know when a QB has "it". By "it"; I mean the clutch gene- the confidence in himself and his teammates' confidence in him. That's what Prescott has; and it's amazing to me so many fans can't see this. It's not like the Cowboys have been 6-10 the past three years.

In both of Prescott's playoff losses the defense has played horribly. And Dak was the only reason the Cowboys were in either of those games.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Where is this "worried" coming from?

The title of the video is severely messed up.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Not singling you out, but I see Dak bashers have stopped the Tim Tebow comparisons in favor of Kirk Cousins now. There's no comparison. Cousins was 26-30-1 as a starter in Washington and the Vikings payed him obscene money anyway. And wow, a Cousins- led Vikings team failed to make the playoffs in 2018. Shocking.

Dak has flaws but he wins. That's the difference. When the chips are down Cousins finds a way to fail while Dak finds a way to come through. I have watched football long enough to know when a QB has "it". By "it"; I mean the clutch gene- the confidence in himself and his teammates' confidence in him. That's what Prescott has; and it's amazing to me so many fans can't see this. It's not like the Cowboys have been 6-10 the past three years.

In both of Prescott's playoff losses the defense has played horribly. And Dak was the only reason the Cowboys were in either of those games.

I'm not a Dak hater. He does a bunch of things well. He stays healthy. He runs. He doesn't make stupid throws. He seems to be a good guy and a good leader. He checks a lot of the boxes.

I just see him as a clear step below the top tier quarterbacks. Defenses aren't on their heels from the snap worried about Dak tearing them up downfield. He isn't going to get into a shooting war with the Drew Brees of the NFL and win. As you note, in order for the team to win with him as QB, the defense has to play well. There has to be a running game. You have to have WR's like Amari to break big plays.

As another example, the Cowboys were headed to having a top 10 draft pick early in the season. Dak wasn't winning (well, its a team thing, I wish Dak supporters would stop giving him credit for wins and blaming others for losses). Dak only started winning once he had a top WR to throw to. Again, more evidence that Dak needs the team around him playing at a high level to win games.

Paying Dak like he is Drew Brees leaves the same amount of money to fill the rest of the roster as the teams with those top QB's. Dak will have the same talent around him as those guys and will be forced to win a few of those shootouts and he isn't going to be able to get it done.

I'm perfectly fine with Dak as QB and think the Cowboys can win a title with him. I just think he needs a very good team around him to do that and him making $30m per year makes that very hard.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
The team winning and losing isn't an individual accomplishment. Otherwise we would be talking about giving Jeff Heath 10's of millions of dollars. We judge players not by team results but by how they played. Dak hasn't played awful, but he hasn't played great. He has been a bargain though and that's allowed the team to put a lot of good players around him. When he isn't a bargain, they won't be able to do that.

Regardless, I don't personally care about how much Dak gets. Its not my money. The only issue is how it affects the Cowboys. As of now, if you add 30m to the 2020 cap, the Cowboys will have roughly 30m to sign draft picks, extend zeke, extend amari, extend jones, brown, and several other people I am forgetting. The team will have to blow itself up over the Dak deal. Why do it?

Except.

Wait for it.

He has played great.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I'm not a Dak hater. He does a bunch of things well. He stays healthy. He runs. He doesn't make stupid throws. He seems to be a good guy and a good leader. He checks a lot of the boxes.

I just see him as a clear step below the top tier quarterbacks. Defenses aren't on their heels from the snap worried about Dak tearing them up downfield. He isn't going to get into a shooting war with the Drew Brees of the NFL and win. As you note, in order for the team to win with him as QB, the defense has to play well. There has to be a running game. You have to have WR's like Amari to break big plays.

As another example, the Cowboys were headed to having a top 10 draft pick early in the season. Dak wasn't winning (well, its a team thing, I wish Dak supporters would stop giving him credit for wins and blaming others for losses). Dak only started winning once he had a top WR to throw to. Again, more evidence that Dak needs the team around him playing at a high level to win games.

Paying Dak like he is Drew Brees leaves the same amount of money to fill the rest of the roster as the teams with those top QB's. Dak will have the same talent around him as those guys and will be forced to win a few of those shootouts and he isn't going to be able to get it done.

I'm perfectly fine with Dak as QB and think the Cowboys can win a title with him. I just think he needs a very good team around him to do that and him making $30m per year makes that very hard.

If I recall correctly, as a ROOKIE 4th round QB Dak went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in his first ever playoff game, threw more touchdowns on fewer attempts and even got himself a 2point conversion and then the defense lost the game for us.... how’s that on dak?
It’s not. So, we’ve debunked the notion he can’t go heads up vs top tier QBs and hold his own if not outplay them.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Tom Brady has had a top 10 defense more than you can count. Does he need defense to win? This just in, not even the GOAT can do it alone. And running game? Brady had one of the best postseason running performances of all time this past year when Sony Michel dominated the playoffs. And Gronk. And Edelman. And Gordon.

Any of those 3 were more accomplished and bigger threats than anyone Dak had to throw to prior to the Amari trade in 2018.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I've been wondering if I want to waste time explaining to you how the cap works but I've decided to pass and let you continue to think Dak will bankrupt the team. Good luck with that opinion and have a great rest of your life. Meanwhile, I'll just sit back and enjoy watching the Cowboys pay the man and still have enough cap space to pay all the right players and keep this well-oiled machine running.
I had a few choice insults lined up but there is no need to go there.

At the end of the day, I'm a cowboys fan. If they pay Dak, I'll still root for the team and there is a path to winning a title. The team just narrows its window versus a much smaller contract and forces them to find high value contracts at other positions. That's not something that they have been historically very good at. Hopefully their recent draft acumen continues and they can fill out the roster with quality cheap players. If they don't, all the Dak supporters will be going to town blaming the defense or the o-line or the receivers or something for the losses.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
It’s a shame Dak can’t win those shootouts like doomsday claims.

It’s not like this past year we saw him go for 450+ passing yards and 3 TDs in a win vs philly... or a couple weeks later he put up another 350 yards and 4 TD passing. We have the leagues leading rusher for essentially 3 straight seasons in our run first offense, our QB had a rookie Michael Gallup as his most talented WR for more than half of the year and he still finished with damn near 4K yards passing. But he cant sling it?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Tom Brady has had a top 10 defense more than you can count. Does he need defense to win? This just in, not even the GOAT can do it alone. And running game? Brady had one of the best postseason running performances of all time this past year when Sony Michel dominated the playoffs. And Gronk. And Edelman. And Gordon.

Any of those 3 were more accomplished and bigger threats than anyone Dak had to throw to prior to the Amari trade in 2018.

Tom Brady is a great example of what I am talking about. He has continuously taken less money than he otherwise could have got otherwise. By taking less money, that allowed the Pats to put a better team around him. As a result, the Pats had an elite QB and a quality team around him for the past decade and they just kept on winning.

The Tom Brady situation is exactly what Dallas should be going for.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

That's a long article going over just how much Brady gave up. Basically, in order to win in the NFL, it REALLY REALLY REALLY helps if you underpay your QB. That is so obvious its not funny. Why is this concept even remotely controversial?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
It’s a shame Dak can’t win those shootouts like doomsday claims.

It’s not like this past year we saw him go for 450+ passing yards and 3 TDs in a win vs philly... or a couple weeks later he put up another 350 yards and 4 TD passing. We have the leagues leading rusher for essentially 3 straight seasons in our run first offense, our QB had a rookie Michael Gallup as his most talented WR for more than half of the year and he still finished with damn near 4K yards passing. But he cant sling it?

Fair enough. Instead of posting anecdotes, let's count the number of 350 yard passing games in the past 3 years:
Dak 2
Brady 6
Brees 13
Goff 6
Wilson 4*
Mahomes 5 (in one year)

The game you note is an exception, not the rule. If Dak was regularly lighting things up like that this would be a completely different discussion. Anyone can have a hot game. Hell, look at Jason Garrett and his Thanksgiving day game.

I star Wilson for a reason. I think he is a great comparison for Dak. Seems like a great guy. Durable. Good leader. Not a "light up the scoreboard" QB though. Seattle won a title with him with a great team around him. As soon as money started being an issue though, Seattle couldn't keep that level of talent around him and they have noticeably fallen off. I don't want to see the same thing happen in Dallas. I want to see the Brady situation. I don't understand why that's controversial.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I had a few choice insults lined up but there is no need to go there.

At the end of the day, I'm a cowboys fan. If they pay Dak, I'll still root for the team and there is a path to winning a title. The team just narrows its window versus a much smaller contract and forces them to find high value contracts at other positions. That's not something that they have been historically very good at. Hopefully their recent draft acumen continues and they can fill out the roster with quality cheap players. If they don't, all the Dak supporters will be going to town blaming the defense or the o-line or the receivers or something for the losses.
You are just so wrong yet again. If Dak messes this up, even his supporters will call him out for it. Bank on it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Tom Brady is a great example of what I am talking about. He has continuously taken less money than he otherwise could have got otherwise. By taking less money, that allowed the Pats to put a better team around him. As a result, the Pats had an elite QB and a quality team around him for the past decade and they just kept on winning.

The Tom Brady situation is exactly what Dallas should be going for.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

That's a long article going over just how much Brady gave up. Basically, in order to win in the NFL, it REALLY REALLY REALLY helps if you underpay your QB. That is so obvious its not funny. Why is this concept even remotely controversial?
That is a simplistic view of why the Patriots have continued to win. Brady didn't leave money on the table on his first extension, he was one of the highest paid players in the league. The Pats continue to win, not because Brady takes less, but because they are very, very good as an organization at scouting and evaluating players that can fill a role and fit in their system, they traditionally don't pay premiums to retain players or sign FAs. They are also very good and active in trades and acquiring draft picks. They are also very good at adapting not just to other teams, but adapting to the players they have.

They release or trade players versus paying top dollar quite often, then they bring cheaper options that can fill the role. They probably wouldn't have resigned DLaw, especially when refusing to get surgery until a deal was done, when Solder wanted more money they let him walk, same with Trey Flowers, instead of resigning Cooks to a big contract, they traded him for a 1st rd pick.

If Dak signed for $25 instead of $30, that $5 million difference isn't going to be the the reason we can keep DLaw, Coop, Byron, Zeke, etc. One player's contract isn't going to make or break a team, it's all the other contracts and players combined. It only works if they all take less and that's not going to happen, especially when it's all these players first opportunity at signing for big money. Fans can talk about team, but it's a business and the player's are looking for security especially on that first big contract. Their careers and earning potential can end on one play, one injury and endorsements end with it. Fans may support that player in spirit, but they are not going to support him financially, they'll just move onto his replacement and start buying the new guy's jersey.