Go for it all this year; Tag and Trade Prescott next spring

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Good lord it is amazing how many people open their mouth and remove all doubt. I’d love to see one of y’all walk up to someone like Gil, Jimmy Johnson, or Parcels and suggest your brain dead trade ideas to them and see what they think.

Jipper

Reaction score
Good lord it is amazing how many people open their mouth and remove all doubt. I’d love to see one of y’all walk up to someone like Gil, Jimmy Johnson, or Parcels and suggest your brain dead trade ideas to them and see what they think.

I get it dude....people want to get rid of top talent for a potential pick....it just shows how frustrated the fan base is...if we have all 3 on the field this year we are making the playoffs and going deep...

Brax

Reaction score
No one thinks Dak is worth a 1st in a trade, but he is worth 35 million dollars/year?

Wow!
Life without a good QB is really hard in the NFL as we have seen in the past. Jerry painted himself in the corner with Dak and there isn't a viable option on the team. Jerry so wanted cheap so he anointed Dak franchise QB with a small sample size. Dak is a good to average QB who has a lot of mediocre game and a few good ones but there just isn't a option. Surround Dak with all pro elite players and he can function remove 1 or 2 of those elite players and the wheels come off. I agree funny how most agree he's not worth a 1st but pay him as the top QB just shows how some think. At this point hopefully Jerry doesn't pay him this year tags him next and reevaluates him unfortunately Jerry has stated his belief Dak is his franchise guy so I would expect a new deal at some point as Jerry is Jerry still trying prove he's the smartest football man in the world.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dak isn't that good for an NFL starter, but White/Rush are not NFL caliber QBs... that's the difference.
Dak is an above average starter in this league right now and this season I'm willing to bet he steps up into that top 10 spot.

Brax

Reaction score
Tell us how Aikman did without Irvin or Emmitt.

He wasn't mediocre week in and week out thats for sure. Your shtick is always "Tell us how Aikman did without Irvin or Emmitt". Who cares how TA, TR, DW, RS,CM, DM did it's about how Dak does. Throw away your broken record "Tell us how Aikman did without Irvin or Emmitt". Last I checked TA won a lot more play off games than he lost and has 3 SB rings a SB MVP and HOF yeah we all get it Dak is a super star the rest are bums. You do realize it's been 23 years with out a super bowl appearance and the last Dallas QB to win one was TA, last 3 in fact. Sad just pathetic and sad.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Or he continues to be Alex Smith caliber bus driver and gets the franchise tag.

This is more realistic. I'm not trying to hate on Dak. I just feel too many fans are trying to make Dak more than what he is... I'm not saying he's bad but I'm also not saying he's good. He's just an average bus driver... Nothing more, Nothing less... The market value where Dak is at (the 30 mil range) is about right for a bus driver QB.. There is no way he's worth (even close to) top 3 money.

Altestic

Reaction score
This is more realistic. I'm not trying to hate on Dak. I just feel too many fans are trying to make Dak more than what he is... I'm not saying he's bad but I'm also not saying he's good. He's just an average bus driver... Nothing more, Nothing less... The market value where Dak is at (the 30 mil range) is about right for a bus driver QB.. There is no way he's worth (even close to) top 3 money.
I'm not paying a bus driver anything more than Case Keenum money, market be damned. If that is the case, I'm not in the market for a bus driver QB long term when I can get a "backup" grade guy to do the same thing for half the price short term and then draft your QB of the future who can hopefully be a long term top 5 guy who you can win with in spite of some mediocre coaching and roster issues (and then of course you do pay him).

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sign Zeke. 14.5M/year, all the guaranteed money in the first 3 years.

Sign Cooper. 18M/year range.

March 2020: Tag and Trade Prescott. Some team without a longterm QB will inevitably go 7-9 (thus be out of the running for Tua/Herbert) and trade a 1st and 3rd (or better) for Prescott before the 2020 draft.

Re-sign Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones at market value. Consider extending a guy like Awuzie if he balls out.

In 2020, Draft heavy on defense in the secondary and Dline, especially in the early rounds.

Roll with Rush and White as your starting QBs for the 2020 season. Don't bring in a has-been like a Fitzpatrick or Bradford type. See what the young guys have.

Ideally, have the best defense in the NFL and still go around 3-13 in 2020 due to bad QB play. 2015 season redux, without the promising start and the glimmers of hope from Romo "when will he return"?

April 2021: Draft Trevor Lawrence.

Have the best young QB in the league on a rookie deal, the best offensive line in football, the best defense in football, and the best running back in football... plus a top 5 WR in Cooper and another stud in Gallup out there. Perfect situation for the most surefire QB prospect to come out since Peyton Manning.

Open up a new 5+ year window at the top of the hill with a top 5 QB on a rookie contract.

BINGO!!!!!

its flawed logic if he signs the FT sure you can try and trade him but if he pulls a Clowney and says well if you trade me to place I approve and they agree on my new contract demands AHEAD OF TIME, only then he signs his FT/..you cant trade guy until he signs it and players know this and almost gives them a no trade clause.. if you are going to already pay zeke and Amari why not Tag and Keep Dak and what IF he plays his best year in 2019 maybe we keep him??

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not paying a bus driver anything more than Case Keenum money, market be damned. If that is the case, I'm not in the market for a bus driver QB long term when I can get a "backup" grade guy to do the same thing for half the price short term and then draft your QB of the future who can hopefully be a long term top 5 guy who you can win with in spite of some mediocre coaching and roster issues (and then of course you do pay him).

All aboard.....

i082757.jpg

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Tell us how Aikman did without Irvin or Emmitt.

The 90's Cowboys would have been blown up due to salary cap issues pretty quickly if they played today. Quite frankly, the salary cap pretty much guarantees that the only way that you can have a dynasty level team is if one of your highest paid players is willing to take a huge discount (ie. Brady).

The fact that a quarterback and team as great as the 90's boys noticeably were hurt by Emmitt's absence shows just how much of a team sport that football is. If anything, the "Aikman without Irvin or Emmitt" comment is great evidence that the Cowboys have to limit Dak's contract.

Its imperative that the Cowboys pay Dak, Zeke and Coop as little as possible if you want to put together a team that can contend for a few years. That's no slight against any of them. DLaw was probably a mistake too and the Witten thing was outright silly if he ends up getting $5m.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The 90's Cowboys would have been blown up due to salary cap issues pretty quickly if they played today. Quite frankly, the salary cap pretty much guarantees that the only way that you can have a dynasty level team is if one of your highest paid players is willing to take a huge discount (ie. Brady).

The fact that a quarterback and team as great as the 90's boys noticeably were hurt by Emmitt's absence shows just how much of a team sport that football is. If anything, the "Aikman without Irvin or Emmitt" comment is great evidence that the Cowboys have to limit Dak's contract.

Its imperative that the Cowboys pay Dak, Zeke and Coop as little as possible if you want to put together a team that can contend for a few years. That's no slight against any of them. DLaw was probably a mistake too and the Witten thing was outright silly if he ends up getting $5m.
:hammer:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
All aboard.....

i082757.jpg

Have we discussed what QB's may be free agents next year? Is there a back up that will be a free agent who could drive a really decked out bus for a season or two? Is there a Trent Dilfer level QB hiding in the bushes that Dallas could snag on the cheap?

JeffAtl

Reaction score
Man some of you people act like a decent quarterback is easy to find. You’ve been spoiled with the good run of luck we’ve had at the position and think it will just easily continue to infinity and beyond.

$35M+/yr is not a good value for decent QB though. It would also cripple the team from a salary cap perspective.

A "decent QB" that demands $35M+/yr is a liability, not an asset. That is why Dak doesn't have much trade value.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sign Cooper. 18M/year range.

March 2020: Tag and Trade Prescott. Some team without a longterm QB will inevitably go 7-9 (thus be out of the running for Tua/Herbert) and trade a 1st and 3rd (or better) for Prescott before the 2020 draft.

Re-sign Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones at market value. Consider extending a guy like Awuzie if he balls out.

In 2020, Draft heavy on defense in the secondary and Dline, especially in the early rounds.

Roll with Rush and White as your starting QBs for the 2020 season. Don't bring in a has-been like a Fitzpatrick or Bradford type. See what the young guys have.

Ideally, have the best defense in the NFL and still go around 3-13 in 2020 due to bad QB play. 2015 season redux, without the promising start and the glimmers of hope from Romo "when will he return"?

Have the best young QB in the league on a rookie deal, the best offensive line in football, the best defense in football, and the best running back in football... plus a top 5 WR in Cooper and another stud in Gallup out there. Perfect situation for the most surefire QB prospect to come out since Peyton Manning.

Open up a new 5+ year window at the top of the hill with a top 5 QB on a rookie contract.

BINGO!!!!!
I believe the bold is on about 30 NFL team sites. If you think the owner of the 1st pick is passing on Lawrence, think again.

Your entire plan hinges on a team giving up a 1st, and more, for Prescott, who wants a long term deal and top 5 QB money, instead of taking their chances on getting a top 10 QB.

JeffAtl

Reaction score

Have the best young QB in the league on a rookie deal, [...]

BINGO!!!!!

Why would Trevor Lawrence play on a cheap rookie deal for 5 years if Zeke gets new contract two years early?

If Zeke is paid early, then every guy on a rookie contract will demand a new deal from the Cowboys the first year that they perform at a high level.

CWR

Reaction score
Yup, my fanhood started with Quincy, Ryan Leaf, and Clint Stoner. Maybe that's why I suppose I'm more appreciative of Dak and Romo. Those were bad times, and we lucked into Romo and Dak.

Thats a hell of a way to start a fanhood. You deserve better brother. I really hope some of you younger fellas get a chance to experience success soon.