Going For It On 4th

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 817Gill, Nov 14, 2021.

1. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

20,334 Messages
    18,170 Likes Received
    Still not a fan of it

817Gill likes this.
  2. Redsfan_83

Redsfan_83 Well-Known Member

1,974 Messages
    1,548 Likes Received
    if you have Sunday Ticket the same message is clear...the going for it on 4th down is the nornal in the NFL, not just a Cowboys problem

3. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,544 Messages
    13,567 Likes Received
    The first one was a no-brainer to me, the percentages of a new kicker making a 51 yard FG isn't good.

I thought they should have kicked it the 2nd time they went for it but didn't mind the call. Like how they stayed aggressive.

4. Established1971

Established1971 fiveandcounting

4,541 Messages
    3,108 Likes Received
    I dont answer to "ya'll" :)

5. SackMaster

SackMaster Well-Known Member

2,549 Messages
    3,656 Likes Received
    With most, if not all, new rules favoring offenses, it seems like the analytics basically treat punts as "willful turnovers".

Field position is less of a factor in today's NFL, so going for it on 4th is almost always the correct call.

But the one thing that analytics seems to not account for is the potential momentum shift when a team fails to convert the 4th down play. That will always be hard to quantify statistically, but I think based off the past two weeks in Cowboys games, we can see failing on 4th Down gives the other team a big shot in the arm.

6. NorthoftheRedRiver

NorthoftheRedRiver Well-Known Member

821 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    You can do this if you have confidence in your defense. We can do that this year.

7. Xeven

Xeven Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    FG’s and punts are not winning many games.

8. CowboysDrew

CowboysDrew Well-Known Member

2,073 Messages
    3,587 Likes Received
    It's pretty much what the league is doing.

Even ATL tried it.

9. JustChip

JustChip Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    4,408 Messages
    4,048 Likes Received
    Except proper execution isn’t a foregone conclusion. Or that the other team won’t execute superiorly to you. Teams would be successful 100% if that weren’t the case. The decision to go for it is situational.

10. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,048 Messages
    12,283 Likes Received
    I still hate when he goes for it from our side of the field and when we're clearly in field goal range.

11. Wezsh0T

Wezsh0T Well-Known Member

4,251 Messages
    3,134 Likes Received
    I didn't like the first 4th down call. I was onboard with the second one though. The difference is that we weren't really being stopped today while it was obvious that we were having difficulty moving the ball after the first drive last week. I didn't have a problem with the first 4th down call last week, but thought that we definitely should have kicked the second one.

817Gill likes this.
  12. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

3,719 Messages
    5,420 Likes Received
    I never have a problem with going for it on 4th down as long as we pick up the 1st...

817Gill likes this.
  13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Well-Known Member

8,918 Messages
    7,272 Likes Received
    Doesn't take much to fire up the hate crowd around here. I remember a Cowboys franchise QB they absolutely hated because he wore his cap backwards. *sigh*

14. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Well-Known Member

8,918 Messages
    7,272 Likes Received
    Durn northerners. :D

15. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    9,613 Messages
    8,759 Likes Received
    You can do it if you don't have confidence in your defense. Why would you give the ball away without a fight if you don't trust your defense?

16. VaqueroTD

VaqueroTD Well-Known Member

2,290 Messages
    5,092 Likes Received
    I wonder why we defer so much on the coin flip. They said they purposefully put out the offense first today. Isn’t this sort of the same thing as these Go For It early calls? Gamble on a big start, the momentum, and trust in our offense?