Going short on offense for defense's sake

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time cutting the defense to fewer than 27 players, unless we trade Crawford. We've got a lot of good defensive players with more potential IMO than the offensive players we would keep instead. So in addition to going with two quarterbacks, I would go with two tailbacks: either Pollard and Morris or Elliott (when he signs) and Pollard. I would then keep Chunn and/or Weber on the practice squad.

On offense, I would then keep 2 QBs, 1 FB, 2 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OL (only because I think we can't get McGovern to the PS, even not having played yet) for 23 offensive players.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Morris needs to go. He should be available anytime we want him all season.

If not then whatever. He’s plays a dime a dozen position.

I like this trade Tyrone Crawford talk.

He’s gotta be worth a 4th or 5th rounder to someone and gets us out of a log jam that I’m glad we have.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We are stacked at DE. Colllins playing well. I did see us getting gashed a few times up the middle. Our safeties will start coming up or LB will fill the gaps.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time cutting the defense to fewer than 27 players, unless we trade Crawford. We've got a lot of good defensive players with more potential IMO than the offensive players we would keep instead. So in addition to going with two quarterbacks, I would go with two tailbacks: either Pollard and Morris or Elliott (when he signs) and Pollard. I would then keep Chunn and/or Weber on the practice squad.

On offense, I would then keep 2 QBs, 1 FB, 2 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OL (only because I think we can't get McGovern to the PS, even not having played yet) for 23 offensive players.

Doesnt sound like good ideas to me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Houston has the worst if not one of the worst Olines in football.

That being said, it was nice to see our young guns get after it. Maybe it can give some of them some confidence.
The confidence for sure. Taco was killing it last night. Lol. Taco might show up this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The confidence for sure. Taco was killing it last night. Lol. Taco might show up this year.

I would say without a doubt, that was his best showing ever. Nice to see him make plays. But again, it was the backup LT to a bad LT. Houston has had big issues with their LT position. Think Chaz Green.

Still, you have to show up and he did that. Actually, nothing would please me more then Taco becoming a legitimate weapon at DE.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would say without a doubt, that was his best showing ever. Nice to see him make plays. But again, it was the backup LT to a bad LT. Houston has had big issues with their LT position. Think Chaz Green.

Still, you have to show up and he did that. Actually, nothing would please me more then Taco becoming a legitimate weapon at DE.
I was asking last night since Taco was a first round pick if we had a 5th year option on him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drop the fullback. Do like 2013 and let one of the tight ends play that role

That set did not work out very well. Which is why Garrett likes a FB. But Linehan did not use them the way they should have. It seems Moore may do that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think they have to keep 3 RB's, even with Zeke. I can see only Zeke and Pollard, but if both are out for any reason, then you have Olawale as your RB. He is quick, has some speed. But not worth the chance.

I understand about the depth of the defense, or our perceived depth. Hopefully they can work a trade or 2 and get a few extra draft picks.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@gimmesix McGovern is not going on the practice squad. He would be snatched in a second. If McGovern has not practiced yet, he is eligible for PUP.

I highly doubt the Cowboys would go with two RBs. That would be beyond stupid in my opinion. I am guessing Pollard, and Chunn are locks. Morris with the edge over Jackson right now or maybe a coin flip between the two.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes we do have the 5th year option on him. But we dont have to announce that yet.
If his play translates to the regular season then I will be using it. We won’t be able to lock him up long term.