Going short on offense for defense's sake

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time cutting the defense to fewer than 27 players, unless we trade Crawford. We've got a lot of good defensive players with more potential IMO than the offensive players we would keep instead. So in addition to going with two quarterbacks, I would go with two tailbacks: either Pollard and Morris or Elliott (when he signs) and Pollard. I would then keep Chunn and/or Weber on the practice squad.

On offense, I would then keep 2 QBs, 1 FB, 2 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OL (only because I think we can't get McGovern to the PS, even not having played yet) for 23 offensive players.
Definitely 2 QBs, I’m guessing 3 RBs with one a special teams guy. Possibly 5 WRs as a 6th isn’t going to see the field, while stashing 1-2 on PS. I think McGovern has missed too much time for a rookie, and with his injury, no weights so his strength is likely worse....IR for this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McGovern can go on PUP. So he won’t take a roster spot until he is healthy.

Keeping only 2 RB’s on a run first team, wouldn’t be a good idea.
No, would have had to start camp on PUP but they didn't put him on it.

They wanted him to be able to do walk-thru type practices.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Morris needs to go. He should be available anytime we want him all season.

If not then whatever. He’s plays a dime a dozen position.

I like this trade Tyrone Crawford talk.

He’s gotta be worth a 4th or 5th rounder to someone and gets us out of a log jam that I’m glad we have.
actually with the Texans just losing Miller and seeing Morris, its a likely stop for him..but without Zeke we need to go long at RB 2 is not enough..but Morris not playing ST I see Jackson or Chung making it..

fansince68

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time cutting the defense to fewer than 27 players, unless we trade Crawford. We've got a lot of good defensive players with more potential IMO than the offensive players we would keep instead. So in addition to going with two quarterbacks, I would go with two tailbacks: either Pollard and Morris or Elliott (when he signs) and Pollard. I would then keep Chunn and/or Weber on the practice squad.

On offense, I would then keep 2 QBs, 1 FB, 2 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OL (only because I think we can't get McGovern to the PS, even not having played yet) for 23 offensive players.
Why keep the FB? He is not a true FB. He is actually a RB. I dont see him doing nothing that Zeke can't do. Is he a specials team ace? He and Brown are enigmas that I dont understand.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
This is what I think the Cowboys do on offense
2-Qb's - Prescott and Rush
3-RB's - Elliot, Pollard, Chunn
1-FB - Olawale
3-TE's - Witten, Jarwon, Shultz
6- WR, Cooper, Cobb, Gallup, Austin, Smith,Wilson, with Brown staying on PUP(I'd personally cut or trade Austin)
9 -OL, Smith,Williams,Fredrick,Martin,Collins,Looney,Fleming,McGovern,Su'a-filo
that's 24

cheyennes

Reaction score
We have a big problem, we are first run team, we need 3 or 4 rb, 9 or 10 OL, next year 3 players will be FA..
Our DL need new blood, Hyder, Jelks, Jackson, another problem with taco and Amstrong, and our DB the same, next year will be some FA, Byron, Brown, Lewis and Awusie, and we have nice yong talent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
@gimmesix McGovern is not going on the practice squad. He would be snatched in a second. If McGovern has not practiced yet, he is eligible for PUP.

I highly doubt the Cowboys would go with two RBs. That would be beyond stupid in my opinion. I am guessing Pollard, and Chunn are locks. Morris with the edge over Jackson right now or maybe a coin flip between the two.

Did McGovern start the preseason on PUP? If he did, then he's eligible as long as he hasn't practiced. I'm not sure he hasn't. But that would be the way I'd go if we could, keeping eight OL. I agree that we're not going to try to get him to the PS.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think they have to keep 3 RB's, even with Zeke. I can see only Zeke and Pollard, but if both are out for any reason, then you have Olawale as your RB. He is quick, has some speed. But not worth the chance.

I understand about the depth of the defense, or our perceived depth. Hopefully they can work a trade or 2 and get a few extra draft picks.

I think we can get both Chunn and Webb to the practice squad. If something happened, you bring them up. Realistically, though, I'm not sure either would help. The only other recourse to have a starter-quality backup would be to keep Morris, even with Elliott. Morris doesn't do anything on special teams so he would just be an RB insurance policy. I think we can risk it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
@gimmesix McGovern is not going on the practice squad. He would be snatched in a second. If McGovern has not practiced yet, he is eligible for PUP.

I highly doubt the Cowboys would go with two RBs. That would be beyond stupid in my opinion. I am guessing Pollard, and Chunn are locks. Morris with the edge over Jackson right now or maybe a coin flip between the two.

I just looked it up. It doesn't look like he was put on PUP at the beginning of camp so he's not eligible for that list. It's either keep him on the roster or IR.

McGovern (pectoral) is still recovering from the pectoral injury he sustained in the offseason, but he won't be placed on the PUP list, DallasCowboys.com reports.

quickccc

Reaction score

err, i cannot understand why would you even think about trying to get McGovern to a practice squad of all things.
He's your 3rd round pick and your near future starter in the OL in 2020.

but i agree with going with only 3 backs - just as we did in 2018. That 3rd tailback may not even likely to be game day active for very much of the year.
less RB would mean more at DL or WR unit.
i'm cutting Morris the minute zeke is re-signed and ends his holdout.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

8 OL, particularly if no T beyond Fleming is worth a spot. We don't need 3 interior backup, unless they have bad news about someone that they're not sharing. And no way we get McGovern to the PS.

gimmesix

Reaction score
8 OL, particularly if no T beyond Fleming is worth a spot. We don't need 3 interior backup, unless they have bad news about someone that they're not sharing. And no way we get McGovern to the PS.

That's why I think it's nine. Fleming, Sua'-Filo and Looney are the backups along with McGovern. Maybe if McGovern had played and played well, we could have cut Sua'-Filo.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have very HIGH hopes for our defense this year! Save as many of them as you can there Jerry....

gimmesix

Reaction score
Definitely 2 QBs, I’m guessing 3 RBs with one a special teams guy. Possibly 5 WRs as a 6th isn’t going to see the field, while stashing 1-2 on PS. I think McGovern has missed too much time for a rookie, and with his injury, no weights so his strength is likely worse....IR for this year.

Could be on the WR numbers, but I think Wilson and Smith deserve a spot, so that gives me six. These guys can play special teams, too, and are better at their position than someone like Chunn.

If McGovern goes IR, it gets a lot easier. We can cut Chunn and then bring him back. If we lose him, then we can bring back Weber.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's why I think it's nine. Fleming, Sua'-Filo and Looney are the backups along with McGovern. Maybe if McGovern had played and played well, we could have cut Sua'-Filo.

I don't see them wanting to take XSF's full season cap hit just for him to be a gameday inactive reserve G for a couple of games. More likely they take Redmond, then cut him and try to get him on the PS. I expect them to have enough confidence in McGovern to let him be the inactive reserve G once he is healthy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
McGovern can go on PUP. So he won’t take a roster spot until he is healthy.

Keeping only 2 RB’s on a run first team, wouldn’t be a good idea.

With Zeke back, Pollard, Olawale, and Austin should be fine to finish a game if Zeke gets injured. If Zeke is going to miss a full game, then we bring up a RB from the PS.

I don't see us carrying a reserve RB on the 53. Just PS to bring up in case we're going into a week knowing Zeke won't be available.

Sydla

Reaction score

I don’t think Chunn is a lock. I suspect Morris is a lock more than Chunn, especially if Elliott is still out. They likely want a veteran TB there.