gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is what I think the Cowboys do on offense
2-Qb's - Prescott and Rush
3-RB's - Elliot, Pollard, Chunn
1-FB - Olawale
3-TE's - Witten, Jarwon, Shultz
6- WR, Cooper, Cobb, Gallup, Austin, Smith,Wilson, with Brown staying on PUP(I'd personally cut or trade Austin)
9 -OL, Smith,Williams,Fredrick,Martin,Collins,Looney,Fleming,McGovern,Su'a-filo
that's 24

If we go 24 on offense, who are you cutting among these on defense?

DEs Lawrence, Charlton, Armstrong, Hyder, Jackson, Jelks (Quinn suspended)
DTs Collins, Woods, Covington, Hill, Crawford
LBs Smith, LVE, Lee, Thomas, Gifford, Phillips
CBs Awuzie, Jones, Brown, Lewis, Goodwin, Olumba
Ss Woods, Heath, Wilson, Frazier

That's my 27. Maybe Jones starts the year on PUP (I don't believe he will because we'd have to hold him out six weeks). Or maybe we cut Phillips or Olumba, although I like their potential more than the RBs. Since Gifford has a high ankle sprain, we could IR him and bring back a running back, but that leaves us with five linebackers. We might could get away with that knowing that we could bring him off IR later on in the season if needed.

I guess my main concern is cutting any of the young DL. If we keep Crawford, which I think we will, I have us already carrying 11 without Quinn. I don't know if Dallas will do that, but I'd find a way because I think there's more potential there with that group than some of the players we'd keep just for numbers' sake.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don’t think Chunn is a lock. I suspect Morris is a lock more than Chunn, especially if Elliott is still out. They likely want a veteran TB there.

I agree. If Elliott continues his holdout, we'll keep Morris. We may even keep him if Elliott returns. Chunn's best shot is if Elliott remains AWOL and we go three backs, which I don't think we should.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be on the WR numbers, but I think Wilson and Smith deserve a spot, so that gives me six. These guys can play special teams, too, and are better at their position than someone like Chunn.

If McGovern goes IR, it gets a lot easier. We can cut Chunn and then bring him back. If we lose him, then we can bring back Weber.

Which veterans can be cut and re-signed a day later in order to move players to IR with eligibility to return?

It must be a vested vet that is not subject to waivers.

Morris
CJ Goodwin

Crawford - could but won't.
Witten -could but won't.

Austin - He might get a better offer.
Su'a-Filo - Likely gets a better offer.

Iloka - If they want him on the roster.

If Zeke reports after cut day. He could still report before game 1.

Cobb might do it. They could give him a 500K pay bump for the trouble.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't see them wanting to take XSF's full season cap hit just for him to be a gameday inactive reserve G for a couple of games. More likely they take Redmond, then cut him and try to get him on the PS. I expect them to have enough confidence in McGovern to let him be the inactive reserve G once he is healthy.

I don't know. Su'a-Filo is the top guard reserve right now. He's played well, too, filling in for Martin. I was ready to cut him if McGovern looked capable. I can't say I would do it now because we'd only have Looney as an interior backup with an untested McGovern next in line.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Which veterans can be cut and re-signed a day later in order to move players to IR with eligibility to return?

It must be a vested vet that is not subject to waivers.

Morris
CJ Goodwin

Crawford - could but won't.
Witten -could but won't.

Austin - He might get a better offer.
Su'a-Filo - Likely gets a better offer.

Iloka - If they want him on the roster.

If Zeke reports after cut day. He could still report before game 1.

Cobb might do it. They could give him a 500K pay bump for the trouble.

Could see it with Morris. He wants to be here ... but a team like Houston might pick him up because of Miller's injury. And if Elliott is holding out, I'm not sure we'd want to risk that.

Witten's an interesting option. I think he'd be willing to take it for the team with a slight pay bump.

Even though they are subject to waivers, I do think this is where the third RB (Chunn/Weber) would come in as far as opening one spot and being able to re-sign one of them.

So, it depends on who all we end up placing on IR. It looks like McGovern and Gifford are both candidates. McElroy, too, but we'll probably just waive him and sign him to IR if he clears. Am I missing anyone?

sbark

Reaction score
@gimmesix McGovern is not going on the practice squad. He would be snatched in a second. If McGovern has not practiced yet, he is eligible for PUP.

I highly doubt the Cowboys would go with two RBs. That would be beyond stupid in my opinion. I am guessing Pollard, and Chunn are locks. Morris with the edge over Jackson right now or maybe a coin flip between the two.
Thinking Morris and Jackson avail off street at anytime needed, or better candidates from other teams

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
So does Zeke count towards the 53 right now? If he does that’s a problem for going short at RB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't know. Su'a-Filo is the top guard reserve right now. He's played well, too, filling in for Martin. I was ready to cut him if McGovern looked capable. I can't say I would do it now because we'd only have Looney as an interior backup with an untested McGovern next in line.

To keep XSF is to keep 3 interior linemen. Seems like a lot, especially 2 of them are vets.

Since there was a lot of talk of McGovern starting this year, I feel ok with him as our 2nd interior backup.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
This guy will be a huge cap hit .

giphy-downsized.gif

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

That's my 27. Maybe Jones starts the year on PUP (I don't believe he will because we'd have to hold him out six weeks). Or maybe we cut Phillips or Olumba, although I like their potential more than the RBs. Since Gifford has a high ankle sprain, we could IR him and bring back a running back, but that leaves us with five linebackers. We might could get away with that knowing that we could bring him off IR later on in the season if needed.

I guess my main concern is cutting any of the young DL. If we keep Crawford, which I think we will, I have us already carrying 11 without Quinn. I don't know if Dallas will do that, but I'd find a way because I think there's more potential there with that group than some of the players we'd keep just for numbers' sake.

I think Crawford gets moved or cut so four DT's instead of five, either Jackson or Jelks will be cut and hoped to make it to the practice squad, and I like Thompson over Frazier

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
To keep XSF is to keep 3 interior linemen. Seems like a lot, especially 2 of them are vets.

Since there was a lot of talk of McGovern starting this year, I feel ok with him as our 2nd interior backup.

McGovern ain’t playing this season l, his *** is about to go on PUP

gimmesix

Reaction score

Who's the third? McGovern? We don't even know if he is ready to contribute on this level yet or ever will. If we knew that, then cutting Su'a-Filo would be a given. Right now, we're in a position where we need to either keep McGovern on the roster but kind of redshirt him until we know more or put him on IR.

gimmesix

Reaction score
McGovern ain’t playing this season l, his *** is about to go on PUP

Can't go on PUP. Players have to be put on PUP at the beginning of camp to be eligible to be put on it during the regular season. He can only go on IR. Since you can bring players off IR, though, it's not that much of a difference.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Crawford gets moved or cut so four DT's instead of five, either Jackson or Jelks will be cut and hoped to make it to the practice squad, and I like Thompson over Frazier

I'll believe it with Crawford when I see it. I definitely wouldn't mind it based on cost, but he's been one of those players who has stepped into various roles when others have failed to seize them. Need an end because Charlton isn't ready? Here's Crawford. Need a 3-tech because Collins is hurt? Here's Crawford. We might finally be at the point where our quality depth makes it too expensive to keep him, but the team likes him for his approach to the game, willingness to play hurt and versatility.

I'm against risking either Jackson or Jelks to waivers because I like the potential of both. I could be completely wrong about what other teams think of them, though, and they might pass through easily. I just think we'll lose them, and I'm not ready for that yet.

I'm not sure why you like Thompson over Frazier. Frazier is a core special-teammer and a decent backup strong safety.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'll believe it with Crawford when I see it. I definitely wouldn't mind it based on cost, but he's been one of those players who has stepped into various roles when others have failed to seize them. Need an end because Charlton isn't ready? Here's Crawford. Need a 3-tech because Collins is hurt? Here's Crawford. We might finally be at the point where our quality depth makes it too expensive to keep him, but the team likes him for his approach to the game, willingness to play hurt and versatility.

I'm against risking either Jackson or Jelks to waivers because I like the potential of both. I could be completely wrong about what other teams think of them, though, and they might pass through easily. I just think we'll lose them, and I'm not ready for that yet.

I'm not sure why you like Thompson over Frazier. Frazier is a core special-teammer and a decent backup strong safety.
I just think Hyder who is versatile to play inside and outside makes Crawford expendable, the decision may come down to Jackson or Jelks getting the final roster spot and to me, Frazier is a one trick pony, he plays special teams, as a safety he can't cover and the further away from the defensive line, the worse he is..

quickccc

Reaction score

maybe a very slim chance of carrying 11 DL guys, (and does not include Gregory who seems very likely to sit out the entire year without any reinstatement progress going on) but I most definitely do not
see 12 DL guys on this unit. That seems too excessive and bottom line, some really very tough, difficult decisions and gambles have to be made.
and even for that 11 guy (Jackson ?) some maneuvering at other units for lesser numbers has to be made for a guy like Jackson to stay on. And I've heard Jerry make mentioned impressions of Jackson too often this preseason. It's Jared Jelks that i am most worried about losing.

DE
1 Dlaw
2 Quinn
3 Crawford
4 Taco
5 Armstrong
6 Hyder
7 Jackson ?

DT
8 Collins
9 Woods
10 Covington
11 Hill

my concern is cutting young talent (and invested draft picks) when we have three vets that may not even be here next year,.. two on one year deals.(hyder, Quinn). ..while another could be a cap casualty next year in 2020 (Crawford)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cut Goodwin, move either Gifford or McGovern to IR then re-sign Goodwin.

They did carry 11 DL on the initial 53 one time since moving back to the 3-4.

I would be surprised if Jones stays on PUP although I wouldn't push him to return too soon. It would be better to not have him early in the year than later. They might just keep an extra CB if Jones does stay on PUP.

They have always kept 7 LBs. There was 1 season the 7th was R.McClain on suspension for 4 games making it only 6 counting against the 53 for 4 weeks.