Golden Tate to NYG

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree organization are not just looking at 1 year of the cap they put plans in place knowing when they will need to deal with other contracts. They know they have guys like Dak, Zeke, Cooper and still working on longer term deal with Lawrence. We will have Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith and some others to deal with. I have no issue with mid level FA and getting some very key players resigned. Thus far the deals I have seen color me unimpressed if some others want to pay out the nose for guys like Thomas or a Golden Tate be my guest no rule says because someone else does something stupid you must follow

Yes, with the fact that we can roll cap space over to the following season, it does help us a bit with trying to sort out those big contracts that our homegrown talent will command. And you're quite right. Just because 30 other teams are paying obnoxious money for those sorts of players doesn't mean we have to. Like I said, we are in good company in being one of the other 2 teams there. I say keep on looking for the diamonds in the rough and save that money for the big contracts we'll need. We saw today with that Covington chap. Low cost move, but looks like he'll be quite a good signing. He fits a need we have, looks to be able to play it quite well, but saves us cap space for other moves. Translation, brilliant move!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Give Richard credit, but the Cowboys' defensive staff is really at fault with Byron Jones. We had a lockdown corner since 2015 but we were playing him at safety. :facepalm:

I agree with you there, but that is my point. Trust Richard to find us the diamond in the rough for the secondary. He does have a good nose for that sort of thing, and I can't imagine the FO hasn't asked his input. In fact, I sort of wonder if it was Richard's doing that prevented Thomas from coming here. He would know Thomas quite well. Jerry and Stephen were quite locked in on him, but, for no apparent reason, we don't go after him at all this offseason? My thinking is that Richard said no. I'd ask him what sort of diamonds in the rough he sees are still available, and make the move for safety accordingly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, with the fact that we can roll cap space over to the following season, it does help us a bit with trying to sort out those big contracts that our homegrown talent will command. And you're quite right. Just because 30 other teams are paying obnoxious money for those sorts of players doesn't mean we have to. Like I said, we are in good company in being one of the other 2 teams there. I say keep on looking for the diamonds in the rough and save that money for the big contracts we'll need. We saw today with that Covington chap. Low cost move, but looks like he'll be quite a good signing. He fits a need we have, looks to be able to play it quite well, but saves us cap space for other moves. Translation, brilliant move!

Frankly the same mid level FA some are putting down were big helps this past season. Joe Looney did not cost the Cowboys a fortune but he played very good ball for this team. There were other mid level FA we have picked up who played better than the deals they got

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This sounds like a panic move after the OBJ trade. Remember how Tate was going to be the missing piece in Philly last year and he basically did nothing?

Plus, the Giants paid a lot of money for a receiver in his 30's that three teams (Seahawks, Lions, Eagles) decided they could live without. This could work out well for New York if Tate can regain his old form, or it could be a huge waste of cap.

Agreed. It is quite a gamble on their part, and it does seem like a bit of a panic. Especially with them having I think 2 first rounders? Surely, they could find a top WR. My thoughts are that they must not like what they see in this draft at WR if they're making that sort of move because they could really get just about any WR they want this draft. As for Tate, he's being thrown to by Eli. If it was 2011 Eli, I'd be a tad concerned. However, I see no reason to think that Eli will be even close to a 2013 form, much less his 2011 form.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Agreed. It is quite a gamble on their part, and it does seem like a bit of a panic. Especially with them having I think 2 first rounders? Surely, they could find a top WR. My thoughts are that they must not like what they see in this draft at WR if they're making that sort of move because they could really get just about any WR they want this draft. As for Tate, he's being thrown to by Eli. If it was 2011 Eli, I'd be a tad concerned. However, I see no reason to think that Eli will be even close to a 2013 form, much less his 2011 form.

Bingo. It's not a very good draft at WR. Dallas deserves some credit for recognizing this last year and dealing their first for Amari Cooper. Any WR they would have gotten at 27 would pale in comparison.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Frankly the same mid level FA some are putting down were big helps this past season. Joe Looney did not cost the Cowboys a fortune but he played very good ball for this team. There were other mid level FA we have picked up who played better than the deals they got

Agreed. Joe Looney bailed us out massively with Frederick going down. In fact! Can you imagine if we DIDN'T get him and we found that sticky wicket about Frederick? I assure you that we wouldn't have Cooper here because we'd have had to burn at least a 1st rounder for a new centre. So, in a roundabout way, Looney is a big reason for us to have been able to OBTAIN Cooper. Similarly, Antwan Woods and Reid turned out to be diamonds at DT. Those are 3 examples of how you don't have to spend loads of money on players to be successful. There are other ways to do it in the NFL, and it's important to be flexible. Like the case of Looney, you never know when someone like that will become extremely valuable.

UpNorth

Reaction score
More like a 4th at best.
Pretty sure it's average salary + % of snaps played that determines the comp no?

$10 mil + being a teams number 1 option at his position would get you the highest comp available I think.

Just have to wait and see I guess

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed. Joe Looney bailed us out massively with Frederick going down. In fact! Can you imagine if we DIDN'T get him and we found that sticky wicket about Frederick? I assure you that we wouldn't have Cooper here because we'd have had to burn at least a 1st rounder for a new centre. So, in a roundabout way, Looney is a big reason for us to have been able to OBTAIN Cooper. Similarly, Antwan Woods and Reid turned out to be diamonds at DT. Those are 3 examples of how you don't have to spend loads of money on players to be successful. There are other ways to do it in the NFL, and it's important to be flexible. Like the case of Looney, you never know when someone like that will become extremely valuable.

To me this is filling in gaps with FA. Some want the star player demanding top money but what I see is we have some of those young star players who are about to be FA and I hope we take care of them because if we don't other teams will. I don't need new expensive toy I like my toys and just need to get solid players to help fill certain roles guys like Looney and Fleming. We have the draft coming and I feel we can add some more quality to this team

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Bingo. It's not a very good draft at WR. Dallas deserves some credit for recognizing this last year and dealing their first for Amari Cooper. Any WR they would have gotten at 27 would pale in comparison.

Exactly right! That's what this move screams to me, and it explains all the more why we made the move for Cooper. Even if we did crumble without Cooper, there's no telling that any of the WRs would be what we need. The only WR in this draft that I'm all that fussed about is Ursua, who we can easily get at 7th. That's because he's a slot chap and looks like a diamond in the rough since he played in Hawaii. My eyes tell me that he'll be a steal in the draft. Other than that, I can't say I'm fussed about this draft when it comes to WRs. Evidently, the Giants seem to agree as did the Cowboys when we got Cooper. If there was a WR worth a toss this draft, especially with how much Jerry loves improving the offence, tanking last season and getting that WR would've been all too easy to do. Yet, we spent a 1st for a WR. That says more than just the talent of Cooper, and he's got a lot of it. It says really to me what the Joneses thought of the WRs this year, and, obviously, LVE turned out to be the right choice last year for us.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Lol, everyone we seem to be interested in doesn't seem to be so interested in us. Long gone are the days when players actually wanted to play for the Cowboys.
This.
On the other hand, I don't think Tate is a good move for us. Still would like to see Lee get payback on Tater tot for that cheap shot in Seattle.
Lee will now have 2 games to set the record straight this year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There is absolutely no evidence that Dallas "foresaw" that the WR draft class was bad that they got Cooper because of it. They got Cooper mid-season because our season was a crapshow, Garrett was on the hot seat, media laughing at Dak's poor play....

What we did for Cooper was no different than what we did for Roy Williams in 2008 and most of you will see this when Cooper becomes stone hands again.

And this draft has some really interesting WR prospects.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
To me this is filling in gaps with FA. Some want the star player demanding top money but what I see is we have some of those young star players who are about to be FA and I hope we take care of them because if we don't other teams will. I don't need new expensive toy I like my toys and just need to get solid players to help fill certain roles guys like Looney and Fleming. We have the draft coming and I feel we can add some more quality to this team

Exactly, when you're adding in FA, as the Pats have shown, you're simply mending bits that you don't think you can address in the draft, and adding depth. Yes, you can sometimes get very talented player, but you'd better be right because you're starring down the barrel if the player doesn't live up to his reputation if you're going all in that sort of player. So, to me, I think we are actually doing it well.