Good chance touchback rule for fumbling through the end zone will be changed this offseason

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I agree with this thought.

Why should an unrecovered fumble in the endzone be any worse for a team than an unrecovered fumble in the rest of the field.

The only place where this should be a more severe situation for the offence is if the fumble is forced byt eh defence in your own endzone. Then the defence should be rewarded for making that play.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It never made sense to me that it’s a turnover….the defense didn’t recover so why should they get the ball?

With that said though it’s also one of those quirky rules that I oddly like even though I don’t understand it just because it adds some extra drama to those plays around the pylon.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Leave it as it is. If you're dumb enough to reach the ball out at the goal line you deserve the consequences when you fumble.

What are they going to do, pretend it didn't happen and give him the ball back? :rolleyes:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Then you shouldn't get a TD if you recover in the end zone. Get the ball at the 5 or something
The difference is a recovery.

There is no rationale for the rule.

A ball fumbled forward out of bounds goes back to the spot of the fumble. No reason for that to change at the endzone.

Only time it would make sense is for when it goes out the back of the end zone and not the side.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Leave it as it is. If you're dumb enough to reach the ball out at the goal line you deserve the consequences when you fumble.

What are they going to do, pretend it didn't happen and give him the ball back? :rolleyes:
Do the same thing you do for any other forward fumble out of bounds.

The logical thing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The difference is a recovery.

There is no rationale for thr rule.

A ball fumbled forward out of bounds goes back to the spot of the fumble. No reason for that to change at the endzone.

Only time it would make sense is for when it goes out the back of the end zone and not the side.
The end zones are different than the rest of the field. That's why you get points for reaching them.