Good chance touchback rule for fumbling through the end zone will be changed this offseason

JustChip

Reaction score
If the runner fumbles at the 5 and it goes forward and out at the 1’ line, the offense retains and gets the ball at the 1’ line (except inside the last 2 minutes). But if it goes out inside the end-zone, where should the ball be placed? The 1 yard line? Seems that’s what is going to hang up changing it.

Personally, I’d mark it back 5 yards from where it was lost, or maybe a reverse touchback. The offense retains, but it gets spotted at the 20.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The emotional thing.

Logic tells us the end zones are different. That's why you get points for getting to them.
No. The idiot thing would be to do the current rule.

Logic would dictate there is no reason to change things.

It's punishing the offense for being too close to scoring when they have a mistake.

That is objectively dumb.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If the runner fumbles at the 5 and it goes forward and out at the 1’ line, the offense retains and gets the ball at the 1’ line (except inside the last 2 minutes). But if it goes out inside the end-zone, where should the ball be placed? The 1 yard line? Seems that’s what is going to hang up changing it.

Personally, I’d mark it back 5 yards from where it was lost, or maybe a reverse touchback. The offense retains, but it gets spotted at the 20.
Not true. The ball would go back to the 5.

A forward fumble out of bounds always go back to the spot of the fumble except for this dumb rule.

zerofill

Reaction score
I think you give it back to the offense on the 15 yard line. You make the person who fumbled suck their thumb and sit in a makeshift corner on the sideline for the rest of the game.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What do they change it too is the question?
make it consistent with all the other fumble situations. ball returns to spot of fumble.

I think I would be ok with a nominal penalty like 5 yards to discourage players from reaching for the goal line so there is risk \ reward.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If there is no harsh penalty it could create a scenario when fumbling it into the end zone, on purpose, would be worth doing.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not true. The ball would go back to the 5.

A forward fumble out of bounds always go back to the spot of the fumble except for this dumb rule.
Hmmm. I did not realize that. Thank you for the edification.

Is it still that only the fumbling player can recover a ball fumbled forward in the last 2:00? I remember that being a change in the 70s or 80s after the Raiders did a forward fumble-rooskie.