Good chance touchback rule for fumbling through the end zone will be changed this offseason

pansophy

Reaction score
Yeah I don't support it. If you fumble out of the end zone it should be a touchback.
Yeah I mean what’s the alternative. Fumbling team gets the ball at the spot of the fumble? I kind of like the risk reward there as it is. Gives the defense some extra incentive to force a fumble and offensive players have to keep it mind

Einstein

Reaction score
People the endzone IS NOT like the rest of the field... on a kickoff if the ball lands in the endzone it is a touch back, but if it lands on the field of play it is a live ball. If the ball breaks the plane of the goal line it is considered a TD, but if it breaks the plane of the sideline it isn't out until the player goes out...

Einstein

Reaction score
There is nothing about the endzone sideline that would dictate a rule change.

The endzone isn't some super special place where you throw out common sense and logic just to do something different.
Read my last post... FYI you're wrong

Big_D

Reaction score

The endzone isn't some super special place where you throw out common sense and logic just to do something different.

The end zone isn't a special place? lol now I heard it all. The end zone is not neutral territory, the rest of the field is. Fumbling out of bounds and fumbling through the end zone are not the same thing. I don't care how far the offense drove the ball.

Flamma

Reaction score
Thanks to the Holy Roller, if you fumble forward and the ball goes out of bounds within the last two minutes of the half, it comes back to where it was fumbled. I wonder if the same applies is fumbled through the endzone inside of the last two minutes?

Flamma

Reaction score

There are, or were, rules regarding what happens when the ball goes through the endzone. Anytime you put the ball through the endzone it's a touchback.

Kickoffs. They changed it to the 25.
Punts are a touchback.
Missed FGs used to be touchbacks.
So of course fumbling it through the endzone would also be a touchback.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The end zone isn't a special place? lol now I heard it all. The end zone is not neutral territory, the rest of the field is. Fumbling out of bounds and fumbling through the end zone are not the same thing. I don't care how far the offense drove the ball.
Reread what I said again.

Why are they not the same (again, talking about the sides, not the back of the end zone)?

The "muh endzone is super duper magic special" argument is weak.

Of course it's special in some ways - scoring being the biggest. And there are other rules that, DUE to the nature of the end zone are a necessity. Posession of a catch for instance, breaking the plane (duh, that's the entire point of the game), etc.

Fumbling forward out of bounds is not necessary and is illogical to change.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Thanks to the Holy Roller, if you fumble forward and the ball goes out of bounds within the last two minutes of the half, it comes back to where it was fumbled. I wonder if the same applies is fumbled through the endzone inside of the last two minutes?
If it goes forward and out of bounds, it goes back to where the ball was fumbled no matter how much time is left.

The two-minute rule only applies to players advancing the ball.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
There are, or were, rules regarding what happens when the ball goes through the endzone. Anytime you put the ball through the endzone it's a touchback.

Kickoffs. They changed it to the 25.
Punts are a touchback.
Missed FGs used to be touchbacks.
So of course fumbling it through the endzone would also be a touchback.
fumbling through is different than all of those other scenarios (the fg one doesn't even necessitate the endzone being involved).
A team cannot take possession at the spot of a dead ball if it is endzone. That necessitates a special rule. A team can (as they do anywhere else on the field) retain possession at the spot of a fumble if it goes out of bounds.

If people want to give the defense credit for a fumble recovery if it goes out of bounds, then be consistent and do it everywhere.

Flamma

Reaction score
If it goes forward and out of bounds, it goes back to where the ball was fumbled no matter how much time is left.

The two-minute rule only applies to players advancing the ball.
If that's the case, then it should apply to anywhere it goes out of bounds, including the endzone. Are you sure about that?

Flamma

Reaction score
fumbling through is different than all of those other scenarios (the fg one doesn't even necessitate the endzone being involved).
A team cannot take possession at the spot of a dead ball if it is endzone. That necessitates a special rule. A team can (as they do anywhere else on the field) retain possession at the spot of a fumble if it goes out of bounds.

If people want to give the defense credit for a fumble recovery if it goes out of bounds, then be consistent and do it everywhere.
All I was saying is, the original rules put the ball at the 20 no matter what the offense did to put it out of bounds through the endzone. All FGs, Kickoffs, punts, fumbles, anything, if it goes through the endzone and out of bounds, it comes out to the 20 for the team on defense.

starfan1

Reaction score
getting rid of this rule has no bearing on player safety and doesnt improve the game. That rule is applied all the way down to pee wee leagues and these players grew up with it. dont want to give the player a touchback hold on to the darn thing

BEYOND STUPID

Kevinicus

Reaction score
getting rid of this rule has no bearing on player safety and doesnt improve the game. That rule is applied all the way down to pee wee leagues and these players grew up with it. dont want to give the player a touchback hold on to the darn thing

BEYOND STUPID
Giving the other team the ball when they didn't even recover it...

BEYOND STUPID